Gransnet forums

Chat

Is technology making us lazy?

(17 Posts)
vampirequeen Tue 20-Jan-15 07:55:05

This is a simple question (or is it)?

You go to a building and have to get to the second floor. The lift is full. Do you take the stairs, after all it's only two floors, or do you wait for the lift to return?

I ask this because I've found I've got lazy over the years as lifts and escalators have become more common. I remember when a lot of shops only had stairs and we never thought twice about climbing them. Posh shops had lifts which were controlled by the lift lady. Then escalators arrived big time and we stopped using the stairs to climb up although we still had to walk down them. Now we don't even have to walk downstairs thanks to the down escalator.

Is technology making us lazy or just encouraging our already lazy natures?

Is this where we're heading?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1BQPV-iCkU

pompa Tue 20-Jan-15 08:45:20

Online shopping makes me lazy, why bother to go out in the cold & wet when I can get what I want in a few days with a couple of clicks. The cost of driving to town and parking also has a lot to do with using ebay etc.

ninathenana Tue 20-Jan-15 08:53:46

Remote controls for TV and CD player..... say no more !!

Charleygirl Tue 20-Jan-15 09:10:43

I agree, on line shopping saves me petrol and aggro. I also do click and collect for eg clothes or small electrical items such as a vacuum cleaner which I can carry easily.

I am grateful for escalators and lifts as my stair climbing days are long gone. It would have to be a mega emergency and I would be last out because I take so long.

My washing machine has died and the new one is coming next week- I would not dream of hand washing towels and bed linen.

My electric kettle is leaking- I will buy a new one rather than boil water in a saucepan.

Anya Tue 20-Jan-15 09:25:55

On the contrary.

Being able to order things online frees up time. It's up to me how I use this time but getting out and about, doing things I want to do, going to places I want to go, that is now easier.

annodomini Tue 20-Jan-15 09:38:11

Doing my Christmas shopping on line freed me from the hassle of crowded shops and standing in queues. I don't find shopping a pleasure as I once did.

Soutra Tue 20-Jan-15 09:55:18

My mother probably got her however-many-steps a day just walking up the hill from where we lived to the centre of our small town to shop along the High Street. If goods were too heavy or bulky she had them delivered as she didn't drive. She did this every day in true "Janet and John" style.
My father walked getting on for a mile each way to get to his office, again coming home for lunch so 4 times a day. He walked at a brisk rate too and said he enjoyed it as he saw people on the way. As a young man he would think nothing of walking 5 miles to the next town on a Sunday as (I think) there were no Sunday buses!
They would have been horrified to see me use my car for relatively short trips!
I love the convenience of machines/Internet/cars/ lifts and escalators, but yes, I think we are getting lazy when we compare our life with our parents' or GPs.

Anya Tue 20-Jan-15 10:06:35

I would agree that the advent of the car is what's making us lazy. People even try to get as close to the supermarket entrance as possible even when there's plenty of space further away in the supermarket car park.

Like Soutra's mother I walk into town most days, up a steep hill, to do my daily shop. But I still order certain things on line. The best of both worlds IMO.

glammanana Tue 20-Jan-15 10:10:55

Compared to my parents I can say they would say I am lazy,Supermarkets are only a short walk away from me (20mins) and I tend to use my car rather than walk it is pure laziness on my part,where as my mum would walk all the way to town and back pushing two of us in a twin pram for the days shopping she always had so much energy it was unbelievable.
I also shop on line and think I see far more choices on line than I could see in the shops during a shopping trip,I did most of my families Xmas shopping on line and when you order at least you know if it is in stock at time of ordering.I have no hesitation in using labour/time saving machines but do feel that I should make more effort to stop becoming a future couch potato.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 20-Jan-15 10:24:38

I think I've got lazier as I've got older anyway. Nothing to do with outside influences. I still enjoy the walking or cycling into town but I don't do it so often as I did. And when I do I'm tired the next day. My laziness started with the menopause. Motivation went when the hormones did.

I guess I should fight it.

henetha Tue 20-Jan-15 10:36:55

There is a huge temptation to be lazy, but I'm fighting it ! I deliberately go to supermarkets even though I hate them, just because the effort is good for me, - I think. Also, visiting a hospital daily at present, I make myself walk upstairs instead of getting the lift.
I love my car, but still try to walk regularly.
Gosh, I do sound smug and selfr-satisfied! Sorry girls! Actually I am a lazy old lay-about who does as little as possible whenever posible....grin

pompa Tue 20-Jan-15 10:46:04

"Remote controls for TV and CD player..... say no more !!"
LOL. Electrician coming tomorrow to install remote central heating controller, no need to leave chair now. (Just need a teasmaid now)

ninathenana Tue 20-Jan-15 11:07:13

Watch out for the pressure sores pompa grin grin

FlicketyB Tue 20-Jan-15 18:50:01

Still use stairs in preference to lifts. It is generally quicker as I hate standing around waiting for lifts to come.

The thing I notice most as I have got older is loss of stamina. I used to be one of those people who could do five hours gardening and then come in doors and get stuck into several hours decorating (which I did when we bought our current home in 1996). Now a couple of hours gardening and I can physically manage no more. If I do have a day where, for any reason, I am very busy and active all day I am completely washed out the next day.

Its not laziness, I would love to be able to race round like I used to.

loopylou Tue 20-Jan-15 18:52:58

I wonder if the technology had been available then whether the same conversations would have taken place?!

Elegran Tue 20-Jan-15 19:41:13

Other technology was new then. When my mother started work she had a range to clean and blacklead before lighting it and boiling water to carry upstairs for washes. The kitchen table was bare wood that had to be scrubbed daily, as did the stone floors. After a while a gas cooker and an electric immersion heater were the latest labour-saving devices. Formica work surfaces could be wiped instead of scrubbed, lino, and later vinyl, could be cleaned with a damp mop. Electric cookers were a lot cleaner than gas ones. All making housewives more lazy - "But what do you do all day now?"!

rubylady Wed 21-Jan-15 03:13:24

Sit and watch Judge Rinder! grin