Gransnet forums

Chat

Free tea and coffe update from Waitrose

(29 Posts)
NanKate Wed 28-Jan-15 16:33:32

From the 9th February anyone who wants a free tea or coffee using their MyWaitrose card must purchase some groceries or a biscuit/cake etc.

They have clearly sussed some of us just going in for a free hot drink hmm

Agus Wed 28-Jan-15 16:37:48

I may well cost me more in diesel to drive to Waitrose and back for a free coffee so I only ever have one when doing my shopping anyway.

loopylou Wed 28-Jan-15 16:55:08

What!
That's it, no more Waitrose!

rosequartz Wed 28-Jan-15 16:55:57

We went to one which just had a takeaway the other day - having purchased quite a bit of food we made our coffees and sat and drank them in the car!

Greenfinch Wed 28-Jan-15 17:44:33

I can't say I blame them .People were becoming very greedy and our restaurant which is quite busy was becoming over-crowded and the poor girls could not keep up with the never-ending queue. It is difficult to get a seat as some people reserve them when they come in and then they sit all morning reading the free newspapers or with their laptops .I certainly will not be going in as I am overweight enough without eating an over-priced slice of cake in the morning. Still it was nice while it lasted. Thank you Waitrose. smile

eGJ Wed 28-Jan-15 17:54:32

Our Waitrose has a coffee machine near the entrance door as well as the Café. I think that machine will still be free. Thing is I forget about it until I've finished my shopping and haven't the energy to drink a boiiling hot drink! New regime will be useful in half-term, when I treat GS1 & Gs2 to lunch and can have just a drink myself!!

Greenfinch Wed 28-Jan-15 17:58:59

I was thinking that too. We take the grandchildren in sometimes after school for a cookie and it will be very useful then.

Anne58 Wed 28-Jan-15 17:59:13

The way I read the email (received today) was that if you were having you free coffee in the cafe, they asked you to buy something there as well (sandwich, cake etc). Our local branch has a cafe, but also a self service drink station at the front end of the store. I see a lot of people getting a drink from there and wandering round drinking it whilst they shop.

I never seem to have enough hands, what with the self scanner thing, my list etc.

petallus Wed 28-Jan-15 18:29:50

I think the extra purchase has to be from the café, regardless of how much grocery shopping is done as well.

I'm one of those reprobates who gets a coffee and sits for ages reading the free papers. I rarely get anything to eat although DH does.

I am guessing it will have to be a cake per coffee. I might manage a croissant sometimes but not cake.

rosequartz Wed 28-Jan-15 18:38:30

We generally only have a coffee if we are having lunch there (after a shop). What astonished me was that when we asked why they didn't put salt and pepper on each table, the waitress said 'they get taken'.
So not only do some people get a 'free' coffee, 'free' newspaper they want free salt cellars and pepper grinders as well!

FlicketyB Wed 28-Jan-15 18:39:52

I have only had coffee once in Waitrose and I will not do it again. I drink coffee black and without sugar and coffee served that way in almost any outlet in the UK, not just Waitrose, tastes bitter and horrible

The reason is simple and reasonable. Most people in the UK drink coffee with milk so coffee blends in the UK are chosen to have a sharpness in flavour which stops milk rendering them tasteless.

I usually end up by drinking water and as soon as I can get to France go to a café and sit down and appreciate a blend of really good coffee with a pleasant flavour - chosen because most people over there drink coffee black like me and it is chosen to suit our drinking tastes.

rosequartz Wed 28-Jan-15 18:43:25

I don't normally take sugar but often have to put half a spoonful in when drinking coffee away from home.
More often than not I will have tea (although the tea I had at a nice pub last week could barely crawl out of the pot.)

petallus Wed 28-Jan-15 19:02:31

I always ask for one-shot coffee. At home I water it down.

I was searching the shelves in Waitrose today for a coffee which was described as smooth/mild but couldn't find one.

Deedaa Wed 28-Jan-15 21:56:15

It is very hard to get a decent coffee in this country. Why do the Italians find it so easy? I've had lovely coffee there made by a 10 year old. Actually if I have coffee in the M&S cafe where I used to work and I tell my old manager that it's tasting really good he rushes off to check the machines because it must be too strong. grin

NanKate Wed 28-Jan-15 22:00:18

I'm quite the opposite Petallus I like good strong coffee and a small slice of coffee cake with it is sublime. smile

JoyBloggs Thu 29-Jan-15 08:24:53

NanKate Snap! Except I prefer a LARGE slice of coffee cake with mine grin

NanKate Thu 29-Jan-15 14:18:41

Do you like the walnuts on top too Joy ? Yummy.

JoyBloggs Thu 29-Jan-15 14:28:45

Walnuts are compulsory, Nan, very yummy indeed!

Exiro Thu 29-Jan-15 18:47:49

Shame on you Waitrose, you speak about having a piece of fruit with your free drink however Waitrose at Alton only offer an array of very sugary and fatty cakes and biscuits. Where is your social conscience ? It would helpful if you joined the attempts to help us to eat more sensibly instead of putting temptation in our way ! Once again profits over principles I fear.

Agus Thu 29-Jan-15 19:09:59

As you say Phoenix. The change on 9th Feb re free coffee only if you buy a pastry or some such applies to the cafe.

The Drinks Station will still supply a free coffee only.

Soutra Thu 29-Jan-15 22:35:54

So I may continue to do what I do if the cafe queue is too long, namely get a "coffee to go" from the machine and sit and drink it in the cafe! Simples!

pinkprincess Thu 29-Jan-15 22:41:38

I only once had a coffee in Waitrose and never again it was foul.

Agus Thu 29-Jan-15 23:19:13

Simples indeed Soutra smile

Grannynise Sun 01-Feb-15 12:42:31

I have no objection to buying something in order to get my free coffee. Ours is a take away machine only so I go in after dropping my granddaughter at school, spend the £5 for the free newspaper and take that and my coffee home. It never seems to be a problem to spend a fiver!

loopylou Sun 01-Feb-15 12:52:23

I had a coffee at Waitrose yesterday and asked the serving lady who said:
You will have to buy something from the cafe from February 9th
If you pay 30p for an upgrade to a large coffee that counts as 'buying something'
So doing some shopping first won't count hmm