Gransnet forums

Chat

New technology is a wonderful thing.....I think!

(21 Posts)
kittylester Tue 24-Feb-15 18:16:44

DH and I have been away for a couple of days in Wales which was bought as a Christmas present from our children as they thought we vwould enjoy the break - we did.

Yesterday, I opened a Whatsapp, from DD3, to find a picture of a pink potty and a blue potty both sporting very large poos!! shock

KatyK Tue 24-Feb-15 18:23:27

I think technology is wonderful too. I have no idea what a Whatsapp is smile and really haven't a clue about most of it.

KatyK Tue 24-Feb-15 18:26:01

I thought I was being very 'down with the kids' this week when I said to my DGD 'someone said you put some photos on Instagram'. She said 'It's Snapchat now nan'. confused I think I'll just sit in my rocking chair and let it all go over my head.

loopylou Tue 24-Feb-15 18:45:05

Glad I'm not the only one*KatyK*, my dear children despair of me grin, but at least I can plea ignorance/age!

KatyK Tue 24-Feb-15 18:48:57

I try really hard but to no avail! grin

kittylester Wed 25-Feb-15 06:46:50

Whatsapp is an app for sending messages and photos free. I've no idea about Snapchat or Instagram!

KatyK Wed 25-Feb-15 10:47:11

I'll have a look at Whatsapp. Maybe I can impress my granddaughter grin

janerowena Wed 25-Feb-15 14:43:32

Snapchat disappears once you have read it, so that you can't get in trouble for what you have sent to people. Not good news for police.

Grammar Wed 25-Feb-15 15:25:34

Have a look at the Digital Unite website's information about what it is and how to access it: WhatsApp .

KatyK Wed 25-Feb-15 15:54:33

Thank you.

Grammar Wed 25-Feb-15 16:38:23

You're welcome KatyK. I hope that helps.
Let us know how you get on with WhatsApp, if you decide to try it. I use it occasionally myself for contacting family and friends.

kittylester Wed 25-Feb-15 17:29:51

We use it most of the time as we have no signal in our house so text neither come not go! And it's free!

campodol Thu 26-Feb-15 09:11:05

i also love it ,but has anyone tried VIBER i think its even better with free phone calls ..we talk all the time to our family in oz all for free

annodomini Thu 26-Feb-15 09:53:18

I use Whatsapp for texts and sending pictures. Quick and easy.

Day6 Thu 26-Feb-15 11:08:24

I get the impression Snapchat is a sort of 'fun' thing, wheerby photos and silly messages are sent but only 'stay' with the recipient for a few minutes. I can't see any real uses for it other than 'larking about'.

There are lots of apps that aren't useful or appropriate for me, so I don't worry if 'the kids' think they are essential.

I never ever want to be glued to my phone in the way some of them seem to be.

Whatsapp sounds useful but I want life to be as simple as possible, therefore I keep texts and photo-sending to a minimum. My mobile is for emergencies only really. I prefer not to send or receive texts unless they are a matter of real importance.

I am capable of doing it and refuse to be seen as a dinosaur just because I am not in permanent contact with friends and relatives.

Oldies are perfectly capable of using modern technology and most of us understand it and are happy to try new things. That applies to me, anyway. I like to think that because our need for perma-contact with people isn't so great we are discerning rather than out of touch, or ignorant.

rubylady Fri 27-Feb-15 05:50:30

Aw,my son said earlier that we have no photos of him around the ages of 7 to around 11. I do have films, undeveloped and have just looked on the Boots website which informs me that I can still take them in for developing. He got caught inbetween getting divorced and that chaos and digital cameras coming in. We used disposable cameras a lot at that time but they got put at one side so I still hope a decent picture will come out and put his mind at ease that I did love him enough to take his photo! Poor lad.

He is 47 though now. grin

Marty Fri 27-Feb-15 08:41:44

I use Whatsapp all the time as do most people in South Africa. It's great.

Marty Fri 27-Feb-15 08:42:00

And FREE - yippee

NanKate Sat 28-Feb-15 10:18:13

As you all seem some tech savy can you tell me what Netflix is ? I know it is to do with films. Thanks.

annsixty Sat 28-Feb-15 10:42:54

Ruby lady,did you have him when you were 3 or am I confused?

rubylady Sun 01-Mar-15 17:35:20

Sorry annsixty just my wicked sense of humour. No, he's nearly 18. I still forgot to take any films in though to be developed. grin

What is Whatsapp? I think we need some tech speak lessons? smile