Gransnet forums

Chat

Where would you live ?

(79 Posts)
NanKate Sat 18-Apr-15 11:38:13

If you had to move from where you live now, where would you move to?

We absolutely love the New Forest, we spend a week there every year, and feel at one with nature when we see the animals roaming freely.

As I also like cafes, small shops and water to be nearby so Lymington would suit me well. Of course I would want all my friends to move too. grin

merlotgran Sat 18-Apr-15 11:42:19

Same here, NanKate We'd be near to family already living in Hampshire and within 'popping over' distance from the Isle of Wight where we have a lot of friends.

Too expensive I'm afraid. sad

Soutra Sat 18-Apr-15 11:46:00

Just about everywhere I go I find myself imagining living there! Watching "Escape to the Country" gets me going too. By the sea would be nice but too far from DC though, in London and Birmingham; Scotland -where I was brought up, likewise, I love Hampshire and the New Forest and also North Norfolk. Ah well, a person can dream!

Greyduster Sat 18-Apr-15 12:01:46

West Wales. Solva for preference, or St David's.

Frannygranny Sat 18-Apr-15 12:05:02

San Francisco, a bit far I know but I fell in love with it many years ago. I'd miss my family too much though.

FarNorth Sat 18-Apr-15 12:15:16

I'd really like to live in a german-speaking area for at least a year or two, and maybe achieve one ambition, to speak German well.

tanith Sat 18-Apr-15 12:32:53

Love to be in lots of places, Dorset, West Wales, Norfolk generally anywhere near the sea thats quiet and tranquil but as others have said its too far from family and I fear being left alone miles from any family support and without transport as I get older.

glammanana Sat 18-Apr-15 12:42:37

Same thoughts as me FarNorth I would love to live in a Spanish Catalonian area where the Spanish is traditionally spoken not just the shortened version similar to what I picked up when living there.Whilst studying to have access to a large palm tree with an supply of Rioja available that would go down very well.

loopylou Sat 18-Apr-15 13:13:50

Somewhere on the Pembrokeshire coast, perhaps overlooking Poppit Sands or Broad Haven, otherwise high in the Dolomites with fabulous views [dreams] and surrounded by wild flower alpine meadows smile

pompa Sat 18-Apr-15 13:19:57

LOL, LL, just posted similar on another thread.

AshTree Sat 18-Apr-15 13:26:40

Not far from where we are now, to be truthful: I'd choose somewhere in Cornwall, probably west rather than east. I just love the laid back way of life there, the scenery, the miles of sandy beaches and the rugged coastline.
Though I'd want to take my DC with me, particularly my DD who is on her own and about to become a single mum. See, that would always be my stumbling block when considering a move, because I have both of my DC living within a stone's throw and I would miss them and my GC far too much.

KatyK Sat 18-Apr-15 13:52:05

The Lake District in this country. Venice if choosing abroad but the crowds and cost of living would make that impossible. I also love Southern Ireland which is where my family are from.

janerowena Sat 18-Apr-15 14:00:54

Nearer to the sea, it takes over an hour to get there from here and I have almost always lived less than an hour away. I am actually very happy here, not far from Bury St. Edmunds, which is just lovely. Cambridge and Norwich not too far, both reachable in just under an hour. How long it takes to find a parking space is another matter...

kittylester Sat 18-Apr-15 14:42:32

Here! Because we are close to most of our family BUT, I'd love a house just outside Aldeburgh overlooking the 'beach' and the sea!

Charleygirl Sat 18-Apr-15 14:49:24

I like living in London but I would love to live in Cornwall with a flat in Edinburgh- dream on!

ninathenana Sat 18-Apr-15 15:33:54

We do live by the sea, in fact across the road from it ! However, we can't see it even from upstairs as the sea defense is too high sad

I'd like to be some where looking down on a small harbour which would probably be somewhere in the West country but with easy access to a fair sized town.

annodomini Sat 18-Apr-15 15:44:55

I'd love to live by the sea, but that wouldn't bring me much closer to my family. So if I were able to move, it would ideally be in or around the Thames Valley - though I'd probably have to be a millionaire.

pompa Sat 18-Apr-15 16:08:45

We already live near the coast. moving near our family would mean we would be as far from the sea as is possible in the UK, so we are staying put as long as possible.

Teetime Sat 18-Apr-15 16:28:43

We moved to our ideal place a few years ago where we had been holidaying several times a year for about 25 years- Wensleydale and found we couldn't settle. I was very cold all the time which made my arthritis worse, we didn't fit in (bloody Southerners) and there wasn't enough to occupy us. So we moved to the East Midlands as its nice and central for travelling up and down the country and we thought we were settled BUT we both seem to be talking about moving again. I'd like to go further South in search of more warmth but of course property prices start rising the further south you go so now e are looking for a small town with an indoor Bowls Centre and nice golf course and some shops, nice pubs and cafes- if you know of anywhere like that ........smile

NotTooOld Sat 18-Apr-15 16:36:57

I only wish I knew. We currently live in the West Midlands near DS, DiL and two GC, aged 11 and 13. Our DD, SiL and the other two GC aged 3 and 5, live south of Reading, which is near home turf for me. We are currently trying to move to the New Forest area, something we always said we would do, but this will mean leaving DS and family. We don't actually see much of them as they are always busy and, in any case, are planning a move themselves about 20 miles further away, but I would miss them. On the plus side DS thinks nothing of driving miles so I am sure they would come and see us in Hampshire. DH is keen to move south, as am I, and it would be nice to be nearer the other two DGC, but it is a hard decision. What would others do?

Sorry, did not mean to hijack the thread. The answer is the New Forest - beautiful scenery, near the coast, good communications and not too far from DD and family.

MrsPickle Sat 18-Apr-15 16:40:15

Wales! Oh, I already live here!

Tegan Sat 18-Apr-15 16:46:22

North coast of Cornwall. I often browse the Cornish bit of rightmove and fantasise about the cottage I'm going to live in. I used to think I couldn't move away from my children and grandchildren, but I hardly ever see them anyway these days sad. I have even thought of saving up some money and renting somewhere down there for the winter when the tourist season dies down; I know when I lived there before it was easy to rent property during the winter. If I did that for 6 months I might get it out of my system.

numberplease Sat 18-Apr-15 19:35:07

Kintyre, on Scotland`s west coast, preferably the western coast side of Kintyre, my favourite place on this earth.

Mamie Sat 18-Apr-15 19:43:30

We lived in Bournemouth for many years and spent a lot of time in the New Forest at weekends, walking, cycling and collecting mushrooms. We actually moved there for a bit before we came to France and didn't enjoy it as much - it felt a bit closed in and claustrophobic somehow. I honestly don't know where we would go in the UK now. We have got used to the light and space of north-west France and England does feel very crowded. Yorkshire would be a favourite but think it would be too cold for us now.

merlotgran Sat 18-Apr-15 19:47:55

Plenty of light and space in East Anglia, Mamie and much warmer and drier than Yorkshire.

We love Normandy though wink