Gransnet forums

Chat

To flick or not to flick?

(44 Posts)
trisher Thu 23-Apr-15 19:07:15

OK well I am at a formal meeting and sitting in front of me is a smartly dressed man with an immaculately white shirt. As I am sitting there I see a small black bug crawling on the collar of this shirt. What am I to do? I watch fascinated I want to reach out and flick it away, but what if I squash it and it marks the collar? The bug crawls further around and balances along the fold of the collar. And then just as I ready myself to say something it disappears inside the collar. So I just sit tight. But I still wonder if I should have said something after all it might be a bug that bites. What would you have done? And have you ever sat and done nothing when perhaps just a quick flick would have solved eveything?

tanith Thu 23-Apr-15 19:13:40

No, but I really wanted to tell a young lady on the train that her trouser zip was down but I didn't want to embarrass her in front of a bunch of young man who were standing by us. So I did nothing. Cowardy custard!

rosesarered Thu 23-Apr-15 19:20:51

Nope, not a good idea if touching is involved! he may get the wrong idea in all sorts of ways.If it had been a wasp then you could have told him or waved it away but not an innocent little bug (even a not so innocent one.)

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 23-Apr-15 19:22:38

Well, you left it too late didn't you! He could hardly have stood up and taken his shirt off to fish the thing out could he? hmmwink

pompa Thu 23-Apr-15 19:25:53

I think I would just tell him he had a bug on his shirt.

Anne58 Thu 23-Apr-15 19:27:10

I agree with pompa

pompa Thu 23-Apr-15 19:32:39

Perhaps you ladies could help me? If a lady has the label on her top showing, should I tell her ?

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 23-Apr-15 19:34:48

Yes. But not if it's the swing ticket. She might be going to take it back the next day.

pompa Thu 23-Apr-15 19:37:21

Or just nicked it !

apricot Thu 23-Apr-15 19:43:01

I once told a woman that her skirt was tucked up her knickers. She was furious!

annodomini Thu 23-Apr-15 19:45:43

This reminds me of the Robert Burns poem,"To a Louse, On Seeing one on a Lady’s Bonnet at Church". After much musing and light-hearted mockery of the young lady who thinks she looks so fine, but has a louse crawling on her hat, he comes to the well-known conclusion:

O wad some Pow’r the giftie gie us
To see oursels as others see us!
It wad frae monie a blunder free us
An’ foolish notion:
What airs in dress an’ gait wad lea’e us,
And ev’n Devotion!

Amazing, isn't it, how a poem can be made out of such a mundane observation. It strikes me that Burns must have been rather bored by the minister's sermon!

Lilygran Thu 23-Apr-15 20:26:04

Does anyone remember the variety of euphemisms we used to use to let someone know her petticoat was showing? I'd completely forgotten that until I read this thread! I think there were similar expressions for 'Your flies are undone'.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 23-Apr-15 20:29:06

Charlie's dead.

Followed by, 'it's clean and well paid for'. grin

annodomini Thu 23-Apr-15 20:37:29

It's raining in Paris was one of our euphemisms. For undone flies, I think I have heard, 'you're flying low'.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 23-Apr-15 20:39:04

Oh yes - flying low without a licence.

Lynker Thu 23-Apr-15 20:44:24

'It's snowing down south'!!

trisher Thu 23-Apr-15 20:52:45

It's snowing down south..slip showing.
Egg on your face-flies undone
pompa daren't speak, chair was giving us his speech!

aggie Thu 23-Apr-15 20:57:08

spurs at the bottom of the league ... flies undone

Greyduster Thu 23-Apr-15 21:24:15

I once worked for a very starchy cavalry officer - always immaculately turned out. I met him in the corridor of our building as he came back from lunch one day with a bit of his shirt poking it of his fly, which he had omitted to do up. As I passed him, looking straight ahead, I said "Good afternoon sir, your medals are showing!" He said, looking straight ahead, "Thankyou, sergeant. Good afternoon."

janerowena Thu 23-Apr-15 22:10:14

I have always flicked, in the past. On the whole, people are both surprised, and grateful. I would rather be flicked, I suppose. Having thick curly hair, I bring quite enough wildlife into my house after gardening, that I am not always aware of, to know that I would rather someone flicked.

rubylady Thu 23-Apr-15 22:21:06

Yes, always flick. I once got stopped in Morrisons to be told that my skirt was tucked into my knickers at the back. blush Since then not much has embarrassed me.

AshTree Thu 23-Apr-15 22:29:46

I reached forward to tuck a woman's label back in her t-shirt, and she thanked me with a smile. I said to her, "if I ever manage to get into a size 10 t-shirt again, please don't tuck my label back in!"

Soutra Thu 23-Apr-15 23:35:14

Don't forget it was Princess Margaret's (intimate) gesture, flicking a piece of fluff or a hair from Peter Townsend's jacket that let the cat out of the bag regarding their relationship!
It was not the "done thing"!
My mother always taught me to ask politely as in" excuse me, you have a piece of fluff/a hair/--baby sick-- on your shoulder/lapel may I remove it?"

MrsPickle Fri 24-Apr-15 01:09:46

I once told a woman in Fenwicks that her hand made dress was very swish. She asked how I knew it was handmade.
I told her she'd left the tacking stitches in.
Sorry if it's anyone here. It was about 40 years ago!

pompa Fri 24-Apr-15 08:25:37

My worst moment was a woman at work that had a very embarrassing situation that she obviously not aware of, I did quietly tell her, I could not have let her walk outside, she would have been devastated when she got home (IMO of course), She was grateful and sent me off to get her a change of clothes. Could I do this for a stranger - no way.