Gransnet forums

Chat

How many children do you have ........and why?

(85 Posts)
kittylester Tue 01-Sep-15 10:14:22

Last night's Eastenders made me think about our family and why it is how it is.

DH and I always knew we wanted a big family and had 3 children very close together (fun but exhausting!) But, when I was expecting number 4, I had a missed abortion (like Shabnam) but mine was more traumatic in that I didn't abort until 6 weeks after the baby died (the consultant went away for a month and we were in shock confused) and then I went into labour naturally.

Eventually I plucked up the courage to try for number 4 but it took a while to conceive so there are 6 years between number 3 and number 4. We so enjoyed number 4 that we had number 5. So, when DD3 was born we had children aged 16,14,12 and 6.

How did your family come to be the shape it is?

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 01-Sep-15 10:22:19

I so nearly went for a fourth after my 'Lammas Lamb' was born.Sometimes I wish We had gone for it.

Lona Tue 01-Sep-15 10:28:48

I had my DD (planned) and then took a chance (it won't happen to me!) and became pregnant with my ds! He was born 11 months 2 weeks later on the same day, so they are both the same age for exactly 2 weeks every year!
It was extremely hard, dd nearly died at 2 months old whilst I was pregnant, but it turned out to be the best 'mistake' I've ever made!

soontobe Tue 01-Sep-15 10:37:33

I had an unexpected multiple into the mix, which threw our plans right out of the window. Nice, but there are not multiples on my side of the family, and we didnt know there was on his until several years later.

janeainsworth Tue 01-Sep-15 10:38:29

We had 3 because I had always wanted 3. I am still so glad we had them all.
Several of my friends had 4 but I knew my limits grin

Katek Tue 01-Sep-15 10:46:50

We have 3.... two dds to Ex dh then remarried and had ds, but 6 year gap between him and his nearest sister. I wish we had gone for 4 but circumstances were all wrong at that time. Ds being the youngest and only boy tended to be spoiled by his sisters. A younger sibling would have been good.

Gagagran Tue 01-Sep-15 10:58:07

I had two - DS and DD with less than two years between. That was enough for me as I was the fourth of five and had always wished I was an only one so that I didn't have to have "hand-me-downs"! When I started at Grammar School, aged just 11, I had:

A pair of my eldest sister's cast off shoes (with an insole and heel grips to keep them on) and her old satchel (she was 12 years older than me)
My older brother's blazer and gaberdine (7 years older)
My other sister's school blouse (9 years older)
A cardigan my Mum knitted for me - something new!

I think I could safely be described as "second-hand rose" but we were not a wealthy family and my Mum did the best she could for us all. That experience made me determined that no child of mine would ever have to go through that sort of experience so we limited our family to make sure we could afford to avoid that. No regrets at all. They light up my life still. sunshine

Indinana Tue 01-Sep-15 10:58:58

We have two, a boy and a girl. Like Lona, we took a chance and DD was born just 14 months after DS. It was a lovely happy accident, though - hard work, but all the stages kind of came along together. I didn't have to get past the nappy stage and then start it all over again!
I would have liked more, but we thought at the time that we couldn't really afford it. Now I think how stupid we were because we would have managed! I had a very early miscarriage when DD was 3. We'd gone out on an unexpectedly beautiful, sunny afternoon to a local riverside beach, water calm as a millpond, DC paddling (very shallow, barely above their knees), when DD fell and went under, got up, fell again, disappeared, didn't get up. DH tearing into water fully clothed, shoes and socks, the lot. Straight to the spot where we last saw her, pulled her out. When the tide went out we saw a huge clump of seaweed in that spot, which she had obviously got tangled up in. Anyway, that night, the pregnancy was no longer sad

KatyK Tue 01-Sep-15 11:04:26

We have one, our daughter. The reason we only had one was due to dire financial problems when we were younger. I always had to work and it was difficult to find someone to look after her and we had all sorts of problems. I regret it now but it's a pointless exercise. DD can't have been unhappy as an only child as she has only had one herself, a daughter. I think this was due to the same reasons that we had only one - finances.

jogginggirl Tue 01-Sep-15 11:08:13

We had two DS and DD - 19 months between them... We tried for a third but it didn't happen - hey ho that's life! I'm more than happy with my lot and am now relishing being a Grandma smile

J52 Tue 01-Sep-15 11:15:39

Had 2 sons, just under 3 years apart. Both planned, the gap was due to a house move and not wanting a new baby in a house where there was building work!

Might have tried for a third, but told after number 2 that becoming pregnant again would not physically a good idea.

Happy with two.

x

hildajenniJ Tue 01-Sep-15 12:18:06

We have two, DD and DS. I wanted another, but it never happened. Maybe age was against me as I didn't marry my DH until I was 30. There are 22 months between them. I suppose it worked out well really as we were able to give them a good childhood, and being a girl and boy they couldn't pass clothes on to each other. I was lucky in that respect, I am the eldest of three sisters!

sunseeker Tue 01-Sep-15 12:22:18

None! I don't have a maternal bone in my entire body!! Fortunately DH didn't want children (he came from a very large family and there were always babies around).

Do I regret it? No. Now I am on my own I do sometimes think it might be nice to have a son or daughter to watch out for me but then I realise that's not what you have children for and DH and I did lots of things together we couldn't have done if we had children.

Bellasnana Tue 01-Sep-15 12:32:57

We never really 'planned' as such, but having come from a family of three girls I knew I didn't want an 'odd' number of children,

DD1 and DD2 were born 2years and 6 weeks apart and we sort of thought that our family was complete. However, DD3 arrived after a five year gap and DS was quite a surprise when he arrived 2years 4months after her!

Couldn't have planned it better - such happy memories of them growing up and, thankfully, they seem to think they had great childhoods too smile

Margsus Tue 01-Sep-15 12:42:04

We have 2 DSs, 2 years 9 months apart. Two miscarriages after DS2, so thought we'd better quit whilst we were ahead!

Humbertbear Tue 01-Sep-15 12:47:24

We had two children because we couldn't afford to have four. We are both the middle one of three and were determined that we wouldn't ever have a middle child. My son has three children and we put a lot of effort into alleviating 'middle child syndrome'.

grumppa Tue 01-Sep-15 12:51:43

Kicked off with twins and decided two was enough.

Anniebach Tue 01-Sep-15 13:06:33

Four daughters , but third and fourth died at birth. We were accepted as adoptive parents for two little Vietnamese sisters but my husband died before the adoption was finalised so lost those too

Bellasnana Tue 01-Sep-15 13:18:28

So sorry, Anniebach. What a lot of heartache for you flowers

annsixty Tue 01-Sep-15 13:22:20

I have two, a D and 4yrs 7mths later a S. I would have liked more but it never happened and we just accepted that. That gap wasn't ideal and they are not close at all.

ninathenana Tue 01-Sep-15 13:23:26

We spent 11yrs trying before I had DD. No miscarriages just inability to conceive. We were so chuffed when we had DD we didn't plan any more. Three years later whilst as far as I knew I still had a coil in place. I was pregnant with DS shock but once we'd recovered we were delighted.
They coil was never found grin

ninathenana Tue 01-Sep-15 13:25:04

Anniebach
flowers

granjura Tue 01-Sep-15 13:25:32

2 girls- first one was definitely not planned (she knows- we always say she is the best ever mistake that was ever made), second one was and arrived 2 years and 3 months later. We knew then that our family was complete- for all sorts of reasons I won't go into here- for us it was perfect. I was the youngest of 3, and DH the typical middle-child, which he hated.

Friends of our had 2, and then a surprise, that turned out to be triplets. Others had 1 and triplets 18 months later. Just too terrifying for words ;)

granjura Tue 01-Sep-15 13:27:25

Such a sad story Anniebach - enjoy and cherish the two you have flowers

downtoearth Tue 01-Sep-15 13:28:29

husband no 1 miscarriage 3months,twins
husband no2, DD died aged 7 weeks old,1year 9months later DD 2 (Died aged 23),1year 11 months later DS.
troublesome preganancies,pre eclampsia with DS,so tubes tied.
would have loved more but not to be.
Have brought DGD since she was 4,she is now 16.