Gransnet forums

Chat

Mushrooms

(16 Posts)
PRINTMISS Mon 05-Oct-15 09:01:56

No, not the kind you eat, the kind that are growing under our patio and pushing the paving stones up - these are GIANTS! We have them on the grass, but under the paving stones is proving dangerous. Anyone any ideas as to how we can permanently obliterate them. The other half keeps smashing them with a spade, but I keep telling him he is just spreading the spores. Any ideas please.

granjura Mon 05-Oct-15 09:11:03

photo or clear description please?

janerowena Mon 05-Oct-15 13:38:49

Is it this one?

www.first-nature.com/fungi/agaricus-bitorquis.php

granjura Mon 05-Oct-15 14:56:36

delicious, and free - keep picking!

ninathenana Mon 05-Oct-15 15:10:56

I wouldn't risk eating them. shock

loopylou Mon 05-Oct-15 16:46:07

Sounds more like Triffids grin

loopylou Mon 05-Oct-15 16:49:24

Under Culinary notes in the link granjura it says:
There is nothing about the appearance or location of these often worm-ridden fungi that cries out 'eat me', and although often reported to be edible they are surely best left to drop their spores and then rot away

It also says they're rare. I'm amazed they can come up through asphalt and shift paving stones shock

granjura Mon 05-Oct-15 17:01:17

yes, I did see that- but they are an excellent edible species, and if picked young, they do not have the tendency to be any 'wormier' than any other mushroom.

loopylou Mon 05-Oct-15 17:03:30

Very true, that's the worse thing about foraging-additionalunwanted protein, only thing worse is discovering half a worm after you've taken a bite!

PRINTMISS Mon 05-Oct-15 17:14:26

Thanks for all that, unfortunately the other half has battered them to death, and although he said he would like to eat them, I am sure that is not a good idea, since we have no idea what to look for. They really are Giant things, and will no doubt return next year, thinking of taking up the paving stones and grassing, we seem to do a lot of thinking recently.

granjura Mon 05-Oct-15 19:36:17

lol, you wooss- Give me half a worm to all those additives and pesticides, etc. Anyhow, I always cook foraged mushrooms, and would never notice a bit of extra protein. Jingl was complaining about the lack of protein in mushrooms anyhow ;)

janerowena Mon 05-Oct-15 22:55:28

Yes they are edible - I was thinking how lucky you are! Any free food has to be a good thing.

janerowena Mon 05-Oct-15 22:56:32

Actually mushrooms are very good for you! They contain lots of healthy nutrients.

PRINTMISS Tue 06-Oct-15 08:39:41

Perhaps I should add that I hate mushrooms, can't stand the texture of them, don't mind the taste, so a sauce or soup is fine, but once I have a piece of mushroom in my mouth I feel quite sick.

granjura Tue 06-Oct-15 09:39:56

Some, like St Georges mushrooms, which grow late April (as the name suggests of course) or late May here in the mountains- are actually proven to have a seriously beneficial effect on diabetes.

merlotgran Wed 07-Oct-15 23:40:25

We have them growing through the hardcore in our yard just outside DH's workshop. We cut them in half to see what kind of worm damage there might be but usually they're fine so we slice them up and fry them with bacon......Delicious.