Gransnet forums

Chat

Sort of a thoughtful present but......

(55 Posts)
phoenix Wed 25-Nov-15 10:05:44

Looking through the secret presents on the other thread put me in mind of some of the things Mr P has bought me in the past.

For example, last Christmas I unwrapped what I had hoped was a Hudl or some kind of tablet to find I was the proud possessor of my very own digital air compressor confused The reasoning behind this was that a while before I had a flat tyre which resulted in quite a large garage bill, so himself thought that if I had been able to inflate the tyre then all would have been well.

Then there was the year that I was presented with a large, heavy beautifully wrapped item, which turned out to be a toilet seatshock

Yes, I had been moaning about the one in the downstairs loo which seemed to have turned into the sort of bucking bronco machines you might see at a rodeo, trying to throw you off sideways, and if that didn't work, bringing the lid crashing down on your back, but really.........!

rosequartz Wed 25-Nov-15 10:10:53

At least he puts a lot of thought into choosing your gifts! grin

phoenix Wed 25-Nov-15 10:26:16

That's true rose grin

He did get it spot on one year for my birthday (which is in August).

I had been having the most awful hot flushes, and he bought me 2 very retro looking chrome fans, one for the kitchen and one for the bedroom.

They were very much appreciated!

Alea Wed 25-Nov-15 10:43:06

And what about the coffee machines (?) Wasn't that you? grin

Ana Wed 25-Nov-15 10:44:24

And he did buy you that lovely car! grin

phoenix Wed 25-Nov-15 10:59:55

Ah, the multiple coffee machines! We both had the same idea, I ended up with 2 thanks to a slight Amazon cock up blush and he had bought one as well!

Ana, yes the car is lovely. I really should go out and check the tyre pressure........

loopylou Wed 25-Nov-15 12:42:56

My DH narrowly missed being put under a new patio after asking DD if she thought I'd like a secondhand car bonnet from the scrap yard, after a pheasant put a huge dent in mine.
Thank goodness he asked her first - mind you I never get birthday or Christmas presents from him so perhaps I should have been grateful!

Charleygirl Wed 25-Nov-15 12:49:03

loopylou are you absolutely certain that you and phoenix are not married to the same man?

If anybody had given me a loo seat for a gift it would have been wrapped around his neck.

And as for your thoughtful gift of a second hand car bonnet from a scrap yard, words fail me- I agree he would be part of the base for a new patio, having murdered him first.

loopylou Wed 25-Nov-15 13:00:51

sad They do sound related don't they?

My DD thought he was joking, he wasn't!
And he said it would be a 'nice surprise'..... Too true hmm

jusnoneed Wed 25-Nov-15 13:08:45

For Christmas years back my OH gave me one of those racks that you put on the wall and then hang the ironing board/iron on it. It never went on the wall, nearly around his head though! That was the year I decided no more giving of presents as I always got something for the house rather than myself, we have never bothered since lol.

Liz46 Wed 25-Nov-15 13:14:41

I have a friend whose partner bought her a six berth tent. It was beautifully wrapped and she was very excited until she opened the parcel (which was not easy as she could not lift it). He is the outdoor freak - not her!

MiniMouse Wed 25-Nov-15 14:10:42

Liz46 presumably he is now living in it? wink grin

phoenix Wed 25-Nov-15 14:22:12

I think Mr P is quaking at my request for a new bathrobe.

It took me quite some time to realise that he always bought me books, or things in boxes.

When I saw his attempt at wrapping a jacket I had coveted I understood why.

It looked as if he had chased it round the room with a sheet of wrapping paper before finally cornering it and wrestling it into submission! grin

loopylou Wed 25-Nov-15 15:12:44

grin
At least he wrapped it!

Ana Wed 25-Nov-15 15:22:22

Lots of places sell boxes for presents - much easier to wrap!

numberplease Wed 25-Nov-15 17:03:29

My husband`s Christmas and birthday gifts have always been acceptable, but many years ago, after only 7 years of marriage, he went on a day trip to Blackpool with his mates from work, which I wasn`t happy about. He rang me at 10pm to say he had got me a present. I was picturing perfume, pretty jewellery...........it was a shopping bag!

Rubyredshoes Wed 25-Nov-15 18:16:58

For many years my MIL would give me a wonderfully wrapped Christmas present of a huge box of coloured drinking straws (approx 5000). She would also give DH a gallon bottle of shampoo that was so detergenty we used it to wash the car (lovely clean wheels and a nice apple smell). We could never work out where she got them from, P.S. the school PTA were always grateful for the straws.

rosequartz Wed 25-Nov-15 18:44:38

If anybody had given me a loo seat for a gift it would have been wrapped around his neck. I'm sure I've seen a picture like that grin

drinking straws shaking my head in disbelief

This thread is very funny (but aren't loved ones people weird

rosequartz Wed 25-Nov-15 18:46:07

Here you are - his wife sent him to the cricket match to get him out of the way grin
metro.co.uk/2013/03/17/gallery-new-zealand-v-england-cricket-3545883/ay_106030776-jpg/

annodomini Wed 25-Nov-15 19:10:29

The Christmas after we were married and had arrived back in England from Kenya, Mr Ex went out to an antique (or junk?) shop and bought a silver (?) propelling pencil which didn't work and never has worked. I think it is somewhere in the bottom of a very deep drawer.

grannyactivist Wed 25-Nov-15 23:50:31

My husband bought me a fitness bench in our first year of marriage, plus a set of weights!
I wondered if he'd perhaps mistaken me for another wife.

Synonymous Thu 26-Nov-15 00:17:32

Mr S rarely remembers even to get me a card but reading what others are given perhaps I should be grateful that he takes me out to buy what I want. smile

Charleygirl Thu 26-Nov-15 10:56:27

I cannot for the life of me remember what it is my ex actually bought me one Christmas but it cost all of £2- he really pushed the boat out to show his undying love.!!!

NathalieMartin Thu 26-Nov-15 11:57:37

It's the most thoughtful of gifts that we truly cherish, and usually it has nothing to do with how much you spent!

Charleygirl Thu 26-Nov-15 12:30:05

NathalieMartin the gift was pure rubbish!