Gransnet forums

Chat

Christmas Cards

(66 Posts)
Marmight Thu 26-Nov-15 18:37:42

I received my first Christmas card this morning - it was sitting on the step outside my front door and came from Brian, our 'resident' man-of-the-road. I found it strangely touching, and a very tasteful card it is too! He obviously doesn't want to be late with his deliveries wink.
How soon before the 25th do you post/ deliver your Christmas cards - assuming you still do?

soontobe Thu 26-Nov-15 19:08:52

I aim for about 7 Dec, but in reality it is about 14th.
But there are six that I send early[those abroad, and those who always send to me early].

Marelli Thu 26-Nov-15 19:09:45

I was just thinking about that today. I was going to try and cut back on those I post, but who do I decide to cut out confused
I usually wait until I've received a few and then post the 'over-the-border' ones.

Luckygirl Thu 26-Nov-15 19:40:12

I plan to send to those who I do not see regularly; everyone else will get a Jacqui Lawson card.

I was too ill to send to anyone at all last year; so perhaps no-one will want to send me any this year!

whitewave Thu 26-Nov-15 19:53:21

Oh lucky sounds more hopeful this yearsmile

I must really pull my finger out. I have painted a few but haven't thought about the others.

rosesarered Thu 26-Nov-15 21:01:26

I usually post them about the 15th Dec.I post about 25, and deliver the local ones myself, about 18 .Expensive, but so many old friends that like a proper card, not keen on e-cards myself.

Antjexix Fri 27-Nov-15 07:01:55

I prefer real cards too rather than e cards. A lot of people think that cards are a waste of money as they get thrown out after,but you could say that about a lot of things. I like recieving and writing them.smile

Indinana Fri 27-Nov-15 07:03:35

Like you roses I post about 25, and hand deliver local ones. I always have good intentions of getting them done early - at least have them all written and stamped, if not actually posted, by the first week in December. The reality is very different and I'm usually rushing to get them written the day before the last 2nd class posting day blush

WilmaKnickersfit Fri 27-Nov-15 07:23:31

I aim to get cards to be posted done in time for the 2nd class post deadline, but often find it a last minute rush. This year we've already got our stash of cards down from the loft to sort out at the weekend. We're planning to see what we need to get this weekend.

I have let my Jacquie Lawson account lapse this year, mainly because my friends and family love the cards, but prefer the Jacquie Lawson cards in addition to a paper card (we've chatted about this). Also I was very disappointed in the Advent calendars in the last two years and will continue to use the original one which is wonderful. As much as I like them, personally I feel the cards no longer have the WOW factor as something different. sad

Time to buy and send our overseas card - just the one to Ireland! grin

ninathenana Fri 27-Nov-15 07:40:32

With departed relatives and being retired my card writing has diminished considerably.
I post 8 about the 10th December and hand deliver about a dozen.
I've not got any yet. I prefer a proper card as to me they are part of the decorations.

vampirequeen Fri 27-Nov-15 08:28:00

Mine have been written since the beginning of November and are ready to post around 3rd December.

Bellanonna Fri 27-Nov-15 09:20:42

Now that IS showing off vq !! But a timely reminder for me to get motivated and go out and buy some. I was given one on Wednesday by a friend wanting to save postage, so beat you to it Marmight

Teetime Fri 27-Nov-15 09:29:36

I only have a few to post sadly now as all my lovely Aunties and Uncles have gone and we are both orphans sad but I probably write them next week and post a bit later. We are seeing family this weekend that we wont se again before Xmas so I have had to get their Xmas presents ready and I wasn't really feeling Xmassy (horrible word sorry) so I don't like their presents much but I hope they will.

ajanela Fri 27-Nov-15 10:06:11

I do like paper cards but the postage is a great expense. I do sent Jacqueline Lawson cards and last year it was one with a game were you had to break Christmas balls. A number of friends became rather addicted to the game including myself but a good way to release the tension of Christmas .

Blondehedgehog Fri 27-Nov-15 12:06:44

My cards are all ready to post. They get fewer each year.
I know the postage is high but I love when a card has been posted even birthday cards.
To me it means the sender has put themsleves out and thought about me.It means more than a gift.
To posters THANK YOU

EmilyHarburn Fri 27-Nov-15 12:07:31

I do not like receiving Jacqui Lawson cards. I hate being glued to a computer for an hour or more to decode my friends cards. I often get up to 3 reminders that I havn't opened then. I like my cards for rows of Christmas decorations and love reading the messages in them. I file a few and look again at them during the year. I send out 70 cards . It is expensive but a marvelous opportunity to catch up. We also include invitations to local friend to come to a Chinese New Year party in Feburary.

Unfortunately every year dear husband fails to buy enough card. He is fussy that they are charity cards and not Christian. And then he cocks up the xls. Label print out do that people get missed out. I spend New Year ringing round my friends to check the have an invite to our party. I am in Australia at the moment where it is30 deg during the day so have not given much thought to cards yet.

oldie730 Fri 27-Nov-15 12:14:16

Sadly list gets smaller each year. No relatives left. I would never send e card, whatever they are, and it is always great to receive cards with a little message. Cards are recycled locally after the holiday.

Matella Fri 27-Nov-15 12:50:38

E cards definitely not unless the other sort stretch the budget of course.
I always buy charity or in January sale.
DGS and I make gift tags from last years.
Any suitable paper left is cut up for reuse or shredded for the compost heap.

ginny Fri 27-Nov-15 13:12:20

No e-cards for me. Very pretty but I like to see the real cards as part of the decorations.

EastEndGranny Fri 27-Nov-15 13:43:54

I'm with EmilyH and Ginny. I love Christmas cards and love to see them around the house at Cmas. Our cards are bought but with two exceptions. I have always made the cards for our grandchildren. The oldest is 6 so it's okay; not sure hand made ones will be appropriate when they are older! This year I have to own up - I got my idea from Pinterest .

baubles Fri 27-Nov-15 13:47:15

I'm in Ireland visiting my mother for her birthday and for the first time ever have brought not only her birthday card but also her Christmas card as well as all the family ones which I usually post. I feel slightly mean as I'll receive cards from all of them in the post but my reasoning is that they only post a few cards to the UK whereas I post loads to Ireland. The cost of a stamp to EU countries is about £1 and my mother can distribute them at no cost.
She's given me cards for all of my lot too. Win win smile

liverpool170 Fri 27-Nov-15 16:45:21

I agree that Christmas cards are part of the decorations. I only resort to ecards when I get a card too late to post one in time for Christmas.

GrandmaKT Fri 27-Nov-15 18:03:48

My mother, who lives in Spain, tells me that the postal service there charge extra for coloured envelopes (anything except cream or white). How long before the Post Office here brings that one in?

whitehouse Sat 28-Nov-15 09:36:02

Am sending less Christmas Cards each year due to postage costs, but have about 30 that will be in the post box by 1st December. Am killing 2 birds with 1 stone as we have recently moved house, so new address and hand written message inside all cards. smile

Cannot abide 'red robin' messages whereby information about senders whole years events are squeezed onto an A4 sheet of paper. One sender sends so much information that they use a size 9 font to get it all on the page - consequently we can't read half of it due to poor eyesight.

All cards received are placed on windows & doors, so make house look extra Christmassy. Recycled in January: fronts for parcels tags and backs for shopping lists. Nothing wasted here. grin Grandchildren were here earlier in week - so have already handed over the Advent Calendars. All going for 99p at the local Card Factory shop - including the popular Thomas the Tank - excellent quality too.

feetlebaum Sat 28-Nov-15 09:55:22

I'm sending fewer cards owing to 'natural wastage'... first thing I do is go through the list and delete those who didn't make it through the year.

It's a glum sort of task (just two this year; ladies whom I recall as young girls, beautiful and full of life... it confers a sort of closure, I suppose.