Gransnet forums

Chat

If you had loads of money.......

(79 Posts)
Daddima Mon 30-Nov-15 17:19:51

....what would your extravagance be?

The " ironing" thread made me think of how I would spend money on good bed linen.

Would you buy shoes, handbags, jewellery?

soontobe Mon 30-Nov-15 17:23:01

Probably holidays. But once I get somewhere, I start wanting to get back home after a few days, so I am not the best holiday companion.

A winnibago maybe . But I suspect that novelty would soon wear off too.

ninathenana Mon 30-Nov-15 17:25:06

Are we talking plenty of money for day to day living or are we talking lotto win ?
I'm not interested in shoes, handbags etc. I'd like more weekends away.
Lotto money would be a house for DD and my dream house.

tanith Mon 30-Nov-15 17:26:22

I'd spend it on us, whether it be holidays or experiences anything that I've not done before,. A winnibago sounds like a good investment too.

Ana Mon 30-Nov-15 17:30:03

soontobe, you don't deserve loads of money with an attitude like that! I'll have your share...tbgrin

soontobe Mon 30-Nov-15 17:36:58

I know. I am useless Ana!
We were going to go out for a meal for our wedding anniversary. After a few half hearted attempts at picking a date[we couldnt go on the actual date] DH said "your heart is not really in it, is it?" I said no, and we had a takeaway chinese. hmm
You can have my moneyshare Ana. smile

Daddima Mon 30-Nov-15 17:39:17

Would need to be a lotto win for me! I would certainly pay for holidays and trips away, but I have friends who pay hundreds of pounds for handbags, buy loads of shoes, or pay a lot for cosmetics.

Ana Mon 30-Nov-15 17:48:38

Thanks, soontobe tbsmile

It would have to be something like a lotto win for me, too. I don't need or want expensive handbags or shoes (although boots are another matter...)

I would like enough to buy another house without having to go through the hassle of selling my current one, and I'd replace my car which has a dent in it!

tinaf1 Mon 30-Nov-15 17:59:42

A live in cook

petra Mon 30-Nov-15 18:02:29

When you get your lottery money, don't buy a Winnebago, go for a quality German brand.
I don't know what level of money we are talking about but first off I would fly by private jet everywhere.

Greyduster Mon 30-Nov-15 18:06:49

It would have to been enough to buy me a good stretch of Hampshire chalk stream, and my own personal ghillie! But realistically.....smile, enough to take my grandson anywhere he'd like to go to fulfill some of his boyhood dreams!

soontobe Mon 30-Nov-15 18:15:49

A quality German brand it is then!

Anniebach Mon 30-Nov-15 18:18:50

A car and I think I would be tempted to buy a piece of gold jewellery , only have my wedding band so a bracelet would be rather nice

mollie Mon 30-Nov-15 18:31:45

Today I think I'd buy a total make over: new teeth, glasses, new nose, liposuction, gastric bypass etc. Ask me again tomorrow...

Charleygirl Mon 30-Nov-15 18:31:50

I also would like a live in cook and a part time chauffeur. Because of my deteriorating eye sight my motorway driving days are long gone. This would have to be a lottery win because I also need money for live in care when I become more decrepit.

petra Mon 30-Nov-15 18:39:37

Tinaf1. I have one, he's called Tony, I've had him for 35 years.

J52 Mon 30-Nov-15 18:47:38

Travel, in the ultimate luxury!

I would however, have more philanthropic ideas if I really won a huge amount! Very unlikely!

X

Coolgran65 Mon 30-Nov-15 18:50:58

Depending on how much, I'd pay off all of the dcs mortgages.

Then.... nice holidays and be able to visit regularly the offspring who live abroad.....And pay for them to come home more often.

rosequartz Mon 30-Nov-15 18:51:26

First class flights - with a bed!!

rosequartz Mon 30-Nov-15 18:52:04

after the new teeth, liposuction, eye lift etc etc of course

annodomini Mon 30-Nov-15 19:02:53

Always first class travel or a chauffeur-driven limo. A big bunglaow near to my two DSs' families and a substantial contribution to GCs' education and future housing.

Luckygirl Mon 30-Nov-15 19:04:02

I have always dreamed of having enough money to create a museum of mechanical musical instruments, which I love. But I know that is a waste of money really; so I would make sure my DDs have enough to improve their housing situations.

As to day-to-day expenditure, to be honest there is nothing that I want. If I could buy an absence of pain then I would definitely go for that! - or a stairlift maybe grin

rosequartz Mon 30-Nov-15 19:29:27

It depends how much, though.

Could be £100,000 for some or would need to be £100 million for others!

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 30-Nov-15 20:02:19

First class flights. More cook shelves grin

loopylou Mon 30-Nov-15 20:02:36

If you're talking multi millions then give the DCs a hefty wack so they can each buy houses and buy a house overlooking the sea somewhere peaceful and beautiful with housekeeper and chef [dream on!)

If more modest £100k's then immediate retirement, travel galore by 1st Class, chauffeur etc.

If only £10k's then a trip of a lifetime to Mongolia.