Gransnet forums

Chat

School children sitting on my front wall

(32 Posts)
Blackcurrent59 Thu 28-Apr-16 15:28:06

I'm seething. They're not even doing anything. Would you say anything to them?

grannylyn65 Thu 28-Apr-16 15:31:21

No I would just shoot them !!!!?

Jalima Thu 28-Apr-16 15:38:11

Not as bad as a neighbour taking his dog for a walk and a toilet break on your front lawn

Jalima Thu 28-Apr-16 15:39:03

you could ask them if they want to do a bit of weeding .....

f77ms Thu 28-Apr-16 15:39:03

Why would you say something if they are not doing anything or is this a wind up ?

Blackcurrent59 Thu 28-Apr-16 15:40:57

No it's not a wind up, although they are unknowingly winding me up. My car is parked in front of where they are sitting. I just don't understand why they have chosen to stop and sit on my property. I've become one of those curtain twitchers!!

Blackcurrent59 Thu 28-Apr-16 15:41:50

Jalima that's disgusting. My neighbour's front door is a lot closer to the path than mine and often she nearly steps on dog poo that's been left right outside her door!

Blackcurrent59 Thu 28-Apr-16 15:53:07

One of them got up and started pacing my front garden, at which point I saw red and shouted at them to move on.

Oh dear. I do hope they don't key my car now...

Nelliemoser Thu 28-Apr-16 17:27:01

I would have suggested a gentle and polite request to them to move as the wall is wobbling or such. They were probably just sitting chatting to each other without thinking about any thing else.
If they were not up to major mischief don't alienate them by coming down like a ton of bricks on them. Children and young people often don't think about potential damage.

Jalima Thu 28-Apr-16 17:31:52

He saw me staring out of the window so now he goes on a neighbour's lawn instead shock

No, I wouldn't alienate them!

granjura Thu 28-Apr-16 19:01:24

Are they shouting, swearing, spitting, leaving litter, peeing in the corner?

Or just chatting? In which case, what's your problem, really?!?

Anniebach Thu 28-Apr-16 19:04:09

What does - key my car, mean?

NanaandGrampy Thu 28-Apr-16 19:05:14

I don't understand the problem? They are doing no more than sitting .annoying maybe , but seething?....

nightowl Thu 28-Apr-16 19:20:48

I've never forgotten the time my son - still in infant school - decided to play hide and seek with me on the way home from school and had the audacity (apparently) to hide behind someone's wheelie bin which was just inside their gate very close to the road. A very angry woman came storming out of her house and shouted at him to get off her driveway, then disappeared back inside before I could say anything. I remember my little boy's crestfallen face - he thought he had done something really bad - and I also remember thinking how sad that a grown woman could be so angry about a child doing something that was, well, just childlike.

Nothing more to add really.

TerriBull Thu 28-Apr-16 19:41:50

"Key my car" means scratch the car with the car keys.

Jalima Thu 28-Apr-16 19:49:36

'Hi, kids, enjoying the sunshine?' could be a start

rockgran Thu 28-Apr-16 20:17:03

I used to have a few kids who sat on my wall and got a bit noisy [no real harm but annoying] so I went out and chatted to them whilst spraying the roses. Then I said they shouldn't breathe the stuff in or they might get ill. They soon moved off!flowers

Jalima Thu 28-Apr-16 20:17:39

grin rockgran
Well done

granjura Thu 28-Apr-16 20:23:30

Shouting at them is the very last thing I would have done, I have to admit. Ignoring them or a bit of humour and banter- or rose spray- would have been more effective. let's hope they are not going to make a point of it now- knowing it will get a result. A pity.

Thebeeb Thu 28-Apr-16 23:00:57

Having worked in a school office and been in receipt of numerous similar complaints I would say the more you challenge them the more hassle you will get. Try a bit of humour have a bit cheerful chatter with them as you go about things and hope they get tired of it and go away.

Indinana Thu 28-Apr-16 23:16:01

We have a low garden wall only about 2 ft from the front of house. We occasionally get schoolchildren sitting there chatting. It doesn't particularly bother me if they're not doing any harm. But if they start getting a bit noisy, particularly if I've got the windows open, I put on some classical music, with the volume turned up of course grin.

Newquay Thu 28-Apr-16 23:31:29

If they're not doing any harm, as others have said, just a bit of humour might work-if you try to engage them in conversation they'll soon move on! Lol

Jalima Fri 29-Apr-16 00:16:53

A local small supermarket used to play classical music just outside the shop all night - there were no houses nearby - and it deterred youngsters from loitering around there, dropping rubbish and cigarette ends.

Yes, indeed, a bit of Beethoven could work wonders!

phoenix Fri 29-Apr-16 00:34:16

Sorry Blackcurrent but if (as you say) they weren't actually doing anything but it made you "seethe", then I think you perhaps might benefit from a bit of a rethink about what is actually worth getting cross about and how you deal with things.

nightowl Fri 29-Apr-16 08:59:45

Do we (mostly grandparents) actually like children? Or is it only our own that we like?