Gransnet forums

Chat

What's the scariest thing you've done?

(115 Posts)
Heirofthedog Thu 28-Apr-16 15:51:43

A few years ago my aunt did a hot air balloon ride for her 80th birthday. She absolutely loved it and only regretted not doing it earlier. I think the scariest thing I've ever done is stand up to my boss when they were harassing me. Or when I was left alone with my new grandchild for the first time terrified I was going to break him. Clearly I need to be more adventurous - is it too late do you think?

Anniebach Thu 28-Apr-16 15:57:03

Crossing the channel on a hovercraft

grannylyn65 Thu 28-Apr-16 16:01:10

Going to Australia myself

ninathenana Thu 28-Apr-16 17:14:24

My first driving lesson.
I'd hardly even been in the passenger seat of a car as mum and dad didn't have one.
The thought of sitting in the driving seat with all that power at my feet terrified me.
I passed my test first time, thanks to my great instructor.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 28-Apr-16 17:19:30

I don't think I've ever done anything scary. I had a tooth root filled. And my first mammogram terrified me. I'm a bit of a wimp really.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 28-Apr-16 17:21:58

Grannylyn that is spectaclier!

grannylyn65 Thu 28-Apr-16 17:50:54

I could write a book on the trouble I got into! Including nearly getting arrested in New Zealand☹️ !!!

watermeadow Thu 28-Apr-16 17:56:18

Going on the Big Wheel at the fair. I was about 45 and thought I should confront my fear.
I honestly thought I would die, I've never been so terrified before or since.

wot Thu 28-Apr-16 17:56:23

Waiting for brain surgery booked for first thing in the morning. The Mr I head scan as I'm claustrophobic.

Jane10 Thu 28-Apr-16 18:05:18

Very very scary wot. Good luck!

wot Thu 28-Apr-16 18:11:05

Thank you, Jane, luckily it was 14 years ago now, and I made an amazingly fast recovery! But it was the most scary thing in my life, especially when they kept stressing about 50/50 odds. My memory is too good sometimes!

Jane10 Thu 28-Apr-16 18:14:12

Phew! The way it was written made it look as if it was happening tomorrow. Glad you've made such a good recovery.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 28-Apr-16 18:18:29

It was quite scary when I had to have my eyes looked at at the eye clinic on the other side of town. I went on my bike and the blurriness from the eye drops hadn't worn off for my return journey. It was rush hour too. hmm

wot Thu 28-Apr-16 18:20:39

Ha ha Jane! Yes, I didn't write that very clearly.
Jings, you were naughty going on your bike!?

TwiceAsNice Thu 28-Apr-16 18:24:32

Having an MRI scan I had to be right inside and I'm claustrophobic. The only way I could manage it was to keep my eyes shut( ceiling 2 inches above me) and keep doing the breathing exercises I teach my anxious clients.

The next scariest was giving evidence in court against my abusive ex husband. He didn't think I'd do it if he pleaded not guilty but I did and got him convicted of assault as well.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 28-Apr-16 18:26:24

Yes. The scan thing would be a biggie for me.

wot Thu 28-Apr-16 18:26:30

You would think that surviving a scary incident would make all further ones a piece of doddle but it doesn't seem to work like that. Next scary th I g...having the roots cut out after bridge so to wore out. Worst thing is, I got nobody to accompany me. Avoidance is much easier.....I have cancelled my breast xray and my smear test. Don't want bad news.

wot Thu 28-Apr-16 18:28:06

Good for you, twice. Wot an arse he must have been

wot Thu 28-Apr-16 18:29:07

That cage they put on your head with the scan......yikes!!!

phoenix Thu 28-Apr-16 18:37:07

Two things come to mind, having a cyst on my eyeball "popped" with a scalpel by my GP, and travelling on the bus just wearing a basque, stockings and suspenders under my coat to go to my then boyfriend's house and surprise him.

merlotgran Thu 28-Apr-16 18:37:08

Driving to West Sussex the morning after the hurricane in 1987. DH's father dropped dead with a heart attck while it was raging. He suffered anxiety attacks and was convinced a large tree outside the window was going to blow over on top of the house. We couldn't be contacted for hours because all the phone lines were down and it was our local policeman who knocked on our door to break the news.

It took us seven hours to get there and trees were still falling. Many roads were closed and in our haste we didn't think to pack anything to eat or drink.

I thought at the time it was the closest thing to Armageddon I would ever see.

wot Thu 28-Apr-16 18:42:34

God, merlot, that sounds terrifying.
My friend and I, when we were 12, were told by an old woman on Brighton seafront, that the world would end in two years (Armageddon) we were really scared. Again scared coming up to end of 2012 as it was thought the world would end then. I don't care anymore though.

rubysong Thu 28-Apr-16 18:48:19

Singing a solo (the boy I love is up in the gallery) in a concert. I'm really not a good singer but somehow found myself in front of a roomful of people. I had made a fairly impressive dress, which helped, but the singing was very scary.

petra Thu 28-Apr-16 18:52:21

I've been in many scary situations at sea, but the worst was a force 10 gale on a ferry in the bay of Biscay and the engines stopped for 30 mins. Everything in the restaurants and bars were smashed to pieces.

harrigran Thu 28-Apr-16 18:54:29

When I had to have my MRI full body scan I wore a sleep mask and had classical music played through headphones. They were very kind because I was nervous when I arrived. When I came out there was a little girl waiting to go in and she happily skipped into the room, I felt ashamed of myself for being such a wuss.