Gransnet forums

Chat

If Grans ruled the world...

(41 Posts)
Jane10 Sun 22-May-16 08:49:02

What would we do?
No more wars for one thing. International Grans could meet for a chat and sort things out.
Any more suggestions?

vampirequeen Sun 22-May-16 08:53:55

You're so right we could sort out so much in a knit and natter session lol.

We could sort out crime by threatening perpetrators with a slap on the back of their legs. My grandma could have stopped anything with that threat lol.

Indinana Sun 22-May-16 08:57:01

How does the song go? Oh yes - here are three brilliant lines from it:

-Every day would be the first day of Spring.
-Every Voice would be a voice to be heard
-There'd be happiness that no one could end.

Alea Sun 22-May-16 09:00:26

Coffee and cake on the NHS (oops, of course there would be an NHS!)

Mind you, not wishing to lower the tone, Hillary Clintin IS a gran hmm .......

Alea Sun 22-May-16 09:02:29

The Queen's Speech would start
"My husband and I were having lunch in the Garden Centre recently when Philip thought how nice it would be to have our next garden party here....."?

vampirequeen Sun 22-May-16 09:07:49

lol

whitewave Sun 22-May-16 09:14:29

hmm

Liz46 Sun 22-May-16 09:23:44

and everyone would have clean hands

Liz46 Sun 22-May-16 09:25:55

On a more sensible note, as vampirequeen says, our knit and natter group discuss local politics sometimes and IMO we speak more sense than than the people who run our borough. We have worked to a budget and had to show common sense.

Anniebach Sun 22-May-16 09:36:45

Thatcher was a Gran grin

Alima Sun 22-May-16 09:47:42

There would be in-fighting before you could say Jack Robinson!

TriciaF Sun 22-May-16 09:55:54

And there would always a few of us "off sick"!

Alea Sun 22-May-16 10:01:05

There I disagree with you, Tricia how many of us ever get the chance to be "off sick"? Not like some I could mention .....

Jane10 Sun 22-May-16 12:02:48

Could I volunteer for the Grans Reinforcement Brigade? This crack group of Grans could be parachuted in to wherever Grans are in trouble eg being shouted at by pushy drivers or by troublesome neighbours. There would be a specially trained expletive section to speak up for Grans too ladylike to sort people out. Obviously we'd wear camouflage of beige stretchy trousers and nice cardis to add to the surprise element. Dodgy tradesmen beware!

M0nica Sun 22-May-16 19:58:01

I am cynical. I think the world would be as badly rules as it is now. Not every older person is all sweetness and light, mother love and apple pie. There are as many nasty and vicious older people as there are in any other group and they would all soon be lying and scheming and planning to have everything there way. Come to think about it, quite a number already are - Phillip Green for example.

Elrel Sun 22-May-16 20:08:18

Plenty of grans in the House of Lords and some sense does come out of there sometimes. Sure we'd give it a go!

GandTea Sun 22-May-16 20:22:26

Are you sure they don't go there for a quiet after lunch nap ?

Jane10 Sun 22-May-16 20:47:37

I think I'd pass a law against ill advised exposing of acres of flesh at the first sign of sun.
Maybe something about massive tattoos and also compulsory separation of bikes from cars on roads.
So many things I'd like to change.

Cherrytree59 Sun 22-May-16 21:10:42

Grans have the recipe to make the world a better place for our DGC
1 tbs of experience
1 dollop of common sense
1 tsp knowledge
A pinch of shrewdness
A cup of empathy
Sprinkling of humour
All stirred together with love and kindess to our fellow man

Jane I would love to join your Brigade!

Jane10 Sun 22-May-16 21:14:31

Do you want to be in the expletives section or the general sorting out regiment? You'd have to supply your own umbrella and thermos btw.
The financial Grans will be working on the economy and the diplomatic Grans on foreign policy.

Alea Sun 22-May-16 23:02:14

And a handbag I hope to give miscreants a proper handbagging!

lizzypopbottle Mon 23-May-16 11:10:59

I'd ban violence in the media. My (adult) son's been watching Game of Thrones and the gratuitous violence is a constant throughout every episode. It only has two colours; blood red and endless grey! I don't watch it but somehow I'm depressed by being in the same room with it! It was the same when he was obsessed with '24'. Give me the Great British Sewing Bee any time. At least it's creative and nobody dies a gory death!

Greyduster Mon 23-May-16 11:24:59

"Blood red and endless grey" - I like that lizzy - the books are much the same. After the first two I said I wouldn't read anymore and having been invited by DS to watch some of the series win him, I refused. I even found "The Hollow Crown" a bit graphic for my taste. Shakespeare can stand or fall on the text and good acting without gallons of blood and lopped off heads and limbs thrown into the mix!

Cherrytree59 Mon 23-May-16 11:33:28

Jane could we have a Bletchley type HQ. I'm quite good at puzzles and Subterfuge (had plenty of practice).
I would love big wall map to plot our Granny patrol. wink
I think it would be for the best to leave the purse strings to a GNetter who does spend time internet shopping is up on Accounts.
As there will be No more Wars there will be no need for military department -
but we could do with plenty of grans in the Diplomatic office!!

Cherrytree59 Mon 23-May-16 11:36:05

Oops does not spend time internet shopping!