Gransnet forums

Chat

Are you a "user up" or a "thrower out"

(90 Posts)
trisher Mon 23-May-16 10:27:29

I've decided people come in these 2 categories. I am definitely a "user up". Yesterday I finished off the last of the cranberry jelly left over after Christmas. MY DS is a "thrower out" and occasionally admonishes me-"You have to get rid of this. It's way past its use by date"

granjura Mon 23-May-16 10:43:45

definitely a 'user up' and not just for food.

Grannyknot Mon 23-May-16 10:50:57

I am a "user up". My husband is a "thrower out" (not just of food).

Alima Mon 23-May-16 10:54:41

A "user up". Frequently find myself eating Peppa Pig or Thomas yogurts as they are well passed the sell by date and won't give them to the DGC. I must have every antibody known to man. DH is a throw it out person. Not if I get there first!

mumofmadboys Mon 23-May-16 11:00:35

I am definitely a ' user up' too.

henetha Mon 23-May-16 11:03:39

Absolutely a user up. It's ingrained in me from childhood not to waste anything.

Nonnie1 Mon 23-May-16 11:04:23

I'm a user up. I think it comes from living at a time when a kit kat or packet of crisps was a luxury and not something you have in the cupboard.

I hate wasting food it goes against everything I stand for, similarly I never throw rubbish out of my car.

My son goes through the fridge and chucks things out. One day I had bought some free range eggs from my local garden centre. The box was an old one supplied by them, and he looked at the sell by and threw them in the bin.

He throws half full jars of various things out, and it does my head in smile

harrigran Mon 23-May-16 11:33:14

I am a user up. I was brought up not to waste food.

Greyduster Mon 23-May-16 11:38:28

There seems to be a theme developing here - women use up, men throw out! Same in this house. Having said that, when we moved, DD was helping me to put my kitchen stuff away and had a bag full of jars of herbs and spices, curry pastes, condiments and packet mixes. "You can't keep these - they're ages out of date" as she plonked them all in the bin! shock. Like your son, nonnie she regularly throws eggs away which I would happily use for cakes and other cooked dishes. More money than sense!

Blinko Mon 23-May-16 11:43:28

I'm definitely a user up. Except for the pre packed salmon I found in the boot of my car, dated - erm - 2012....

JackyB Mon 23-May-16 11:45:59

My DH won't have anything to do with food, so he doesn't see things like that. He will only throw something out if it is in full view and is completely mouldy (say, something in the fruit bowl).

These fancy chefs can always turn out picture perfect meals with a freshly-bought steak and a few sticks of asparagus - but it's a good housewife who can make something tasty out of a couple of wrinkly carrots, some potatoes which have started sprouting, and a tin of corned beef dangerously near its sell-by date.

My children,too, have annoyed me in the past when I've left out some blackened bananas on the side to make a cake with and when I go to do it they've chucked them out.

DH is forever fishing stuff out of the rubbish that I have thrown out (his old clothes and rusty gadgets) .

He will rake the leaves in autumn with a rake with only one tooth which is not properly attached to the handle, which takes ages. When I pointed out to him that they were on offer in a shop nearby, and shouldn't he get a new one, he said he'd already bought a new one, but wasn't using it yet.

Recently I sorted out my dressing table and put all the little tester packs and sachets of shampoo, face cream etc.,which I had been saving for short holidays, in the bathroom, and used them all up. There was enough for my daily ablutions for a couple of weeks.

So I must be a user-upper.

harrigran Mon 23-May-16 11:46:26

Blinko shock
Our car boot gets cleaned out more frequently than my fridge.

gillybob Mon 23-May-16 11:47:28

I am a user up. I hate wasting food (or anything for that matter) and I always try to use up the very last bits of everything. There is no way cranberry jelly would have lasted in my house since Christmas trisher as we all love it. I almost always do a roast dinner for the DGC on a Monday (it is their Sunday, Monday dinner) and the children would protest if they didn't have their cranberry sauce.

cornergran Mon 23-May-16 12:04:28

I use up food but throw out 'things' - DH is the opposite. Food disappears from the fridge, but 'things' get retrieved from the bin. No hope for us. grin.

Lillie Mon 23-May-16 12:17:20

I'm lucky I have Waitrose on my doorstep and I use it almost on a daily basis as my larder. My fridge gets emptied once a week. My DH keeps all sorts of jars of pickles, mustards, relishes for the babecue, but I throw them away after 6 - 8 weeks even if they are only half empty. Definitely a "thrower out. "

GandTea Mon 23-May-16 12:29:50

A keeper - often way past sell by, use by, way past it, eat and it will kill you, dates.

We had a clear out of our kitchen cupboards -- one jar of a spice that could not be identified by it's smell (it didn't have any) was dated 1963 !!!, but I'm sure we will use it soon.

rosesarered Mon 23-May-16 12:30:37

A user up, oh yes!

Linsco56 Mon 23-May-16 12:44:49

I'm a user up of all things edible. If there are a few mushrooms, half a salad pepper, some spring onions I'd make a stir-fry whereas DH would throw them away. I regularly have a wardrobe clear out and give to charity shops but DH likes to keep his clothes for ever (and I mean FOR EVER!) He still owns a leather waistcoat from the 1960's but fortunately never wears it...would look like a coalman! and jars and jars of rusty bolts and strews...don't get me started on those.

grannyactivist Mon 23-May-16 12:53:00

My husband's motto, that he shared with me before we married:

Use it up
Wear it out
Make it do
Or do without

...and that's the mantra we've lived by ever since and which my husband especially is very true to. Sometimes I do think it gets taken to extremes (when he goes through the rubbish bin to ensure that a recyclable hasn't been slipped in!! Aaargh!!), but overall we are definitely 'user uppers'.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 23-May-16 12:58:07

And you still married him?! shock

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 23-May-16 13:00:06

With food, definitely a checker outer. Or a freezer-er if it's well within it's use by date.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 23-May-16 13:00:37

chucker not 'checker'

grannyactivist Mon 23-May-16 13:02:43

He has other redeeming qualities jingl. wink grin

Synonymous Mon 23-May-16 13:03:19

We are both user-uppers and DH is very good at using all the bits and bobs to make something interesting in a 'leftovers' meal.
Pickles, chutneys and jams are made to preserve food so why chuck them out if they can be eaten. confused
We both hang on to clothing to get the most out of it and all items have a 'natural progression' in how they are used. It is hard to realise just how long we have had things though and our DC are the ones who generally bring to our attention the fact that we were in old photographs wearing something they feel should be 'moved on'. DH likes his comfy things though and has to have his clothing 'surgically removed' when he isn't looking! grin

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 23-May-16 13:03:38

Phew! wink