Gransnet forums

Chat

A Wiccan wedding

(68 Posts)
chocolatepudding Wed 22-Jun-16 13:21:34

We are going to a Wiccan wedding next week. I wonder if anyone has any experience of this ceremony. I understand from the bride that the happy couple will be jumping over a broomstick and some hand fasting is involved. I am sure it will be a great event, I don't want to do anything wrong!

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 22-Jun-16 13:24:50

Why would you want to go?

Luckygirl Wed 22-Jun-16 13:29:11

"Hand fasting"???!!!

merlotgran Wed 22-Jun-16 13:31:33

Why are you scared of doing something wrong, chocolate pudding?

grin

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 22-Jun-16 13:32:43

Baaad spells....! shock

Pippa000 Wed 22-Jun-16 13:35:02

What a fabulous experience. I am sure you will not be the only ones that are not familiar with the occasion. This website may help with some of the ceremony
allseasonsweddings.com/wedding-ceremonies-readings/wican-pagan-wedding-ceremonies

LullyDully Wed 22-Jun-16 13:35:44

Sounds interesting. Have fun. Just check what to wear

Bluecat Wed 22-Jun-16 13:40:54

Why wouldn't you want to go? If friends or relatives are getting married, and they happen to be Wiccan, of course you would want to be there!

Don't worry, chocolatepudding, about making mistakes. Wiccan ceremonies are usually very informal and there is rarely any expectation of "doing the right thing.". As long as you are loving and respectful, you'll be fine. A handfasting, or marriage ceremony, will usually involve an exchange of vows, a toast to the God and the Goddess and to the happy couple, and nearly always lots of flowers, food and wine! There may be a symbolic action, such as jumping over a broomstick or a small fire, though not always.

Have a lovely time. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 22-Jun-16 13:41:38

Will they be actually married after that? Or will there have to be a quick trip to the Registrar's Office?

merlotgran Wed 22-Jun-16 13:44:35

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZRuge14cIU

Lets all have a jig

WilmaKnickersfit Wed 22-Jun-16 14:18:09

How interesting, I would love to be invited to a Wican wedding. Pippa000 the vows are lovely on the link you gave. They are so honest and realistic.

chocolatepudding make sure you sit where you can see it all and then you can tell us all about it!

WilmaKnickersfit Wed 22-Jun-16 14:21:30

* Wicca not Wican - sorry

WilmaKnickersfit Wed 22-Jun-16 14:23:21

Wiccan even - Doh! blush

breeze Wed 22-Jun-16 14:24:34

Surprised you haven't been invited Jingle, sure there will be plenty of parking for your broom! grin Sounds 'different' go and enjoy yourself. Bluecat has explained it well and it sounds fun. Don't have some wine and join in the fire jumping in case you set fire to your knickers ! grin

BBbevan Wed 22-Jun-16 14:33:08

Always supposing she wears them grin

chocolatepudding Wed 22-Jun-16 14:37:27

Firstly I am looking forward to this wedding enormously - this couple are very good friends of ours. I never said that I didn't want to go, I just wondered if anyone else had been to one.

Thank you Pippa000 and merlotgran for the websites. I am sure it will be a lovely day for everyone.

belladonna Wed 22-Jun-16 15:44:19

We are having a Wicca wedding ....registry office first. At the chalice well Glastonbury...will be lovely

BBbevan Wed 22-Jun-16 16:10:26

Gosh it sounds absolutely brilliant Bella. I would love to go to one of those. Did they have Wicca weddings in the 1960s.? I might have had one if there were.

tanith Wed 22-Jun-16 16:34:49

How lovely I'd love to experience it for myself.. have fun.

harrigran Wed 22-Jun-16 23:49:17

At first I read it as wicker wedding and I was wondering which anniversary is wicker blush

Elrel Wed 22-Jun-16 23:57:08

Sounds good, friend's son had a Viking wedding in Nottingham, I couldn't make it, regrettably.

thatbags Thu 23-Jun-16 07:19:25

harri grin

thatbags Thu 23-Jun-16 07:21:23

I'm not really 'into' weddings. Marriage, yes. Weddings, not so much. And the more faddish they are the less I'm keen on them.

<dons tin helmet>

Marmight Thu 23-Jun-16 07:51:08

My cousin's daughter had a Wiccan 'celebration' a few years ago. It was held in the garden of a lovely country house with the sun shining down. She wore a green wedding dress and green veil and arrived in the circle of friends and rellies via an arch of greenery. We all had to turn to the north, east south and west and 'pray' to the appropriate gods. I think a broomstick was involved at some point and the couple drank mead and also ate a concoction of sweetmeats! I did get a little confused, as did my nonagenarian aunt and the 'bride's mother, Aunt and I did get a fit of the giggles at one point. An 'alternative' folk group played during the day. It was a lovely family get together, if different - but I still don't think they are actually married, in the legal sense, but if that's what floats your boat.........smile

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 23-Jun-16 09:58:28

I am not a withch. Thank you very much.