Gransnet forums

Chat

Mr granddaughter, the asparagus snob

(50 Posts)
Liz46 Wed 22-Jun-16 20:27:09

Just that really. Her Mummy offered her some asparagus and the little madam said 'I don't like Sainsbury's asparagus. I only eat freshly picked asparagus' (from Nanna's allotment).

I offered her brother strawberries yesterday and he politely said 'no thank you' and then discovered they were fresh off the allotment and changed his mind.

rosesarered Wed 22-Jun-16 20:45:53

Hmmmn.It comes from the parents then?Children copy those around them.

rosesarered Wed 22-Jun-16 20:56:10

Asparagus and melted butter...yum.

Ana Wed 22-Jun-16 21:01:13

Sounds more like it comes from the grandparent...grin

GandTea Wed 22-Jun-16 21:04:50

Nothing wrong with being an asparagus snob, one of the pleasures of early summer, asparagus with poached egg. Oh how I wish I had room to grow it.

harrigran Wed 22-Jun-16 23:41:26

I have just had delicious white asparagus for dinner tonight, French as it happens so not fresh.

thatbags Thu 23-Jun-16 07:16:09

I eat asparagus if MrBags buys it. I think it's over-rated. Some varieties of cabbage taste better and have a better texture, imo.

I've never had any fresh off an allotment though wink

Minibags is a Parma ham snob. Own brand prosciutto doesn't cut the mustard, apparently hmm This has more to do with her own personal food issues (and having got fond of Parma ham when she was three) than with her parents, who both eat anything that can be categorised as food.

Welshwife Thu 23-Jun-16 08:10:17

Harrigran don't want to worry you but I think you will find the white asparagus is actually bleached! I only ever buy the green - at the moment we are getting Spanish and Italian grown - our own asparagus finished a few weeks ago - the bed is a young one still and not producing a lot yet.

whitewave Thu 23-Jun-16 08:16:22

I do eat asparagus, but have never tasted fresh asparagus. Therefore it is OK but nothing special.

Maranta Thu 23-Jun-16 08:24:19

White asparagus is not bleached. It is blanched. The new shoots are covered to exclude the light so it doesn't turn green. Perfectly safe to eat.

Maggiemaybe Thu 23-Jun-16 08:27:25

Sorry to lower the tone, but does anyone else suffer the dreaded asparagus pee? (If you don't know what I mean,then no, you don't grin)

Gagagran Thu 23-Jun-16 08:30:15

I like asparagus lightly fried with crispy pancetta. We have that as a light meal or starter with crusty bread. Yum.

Speaking of particular DGC my eldest DGD always asks "Is it home-made?" and loses interest if not so I usually just respond "What do you think?". That definitely comes from her Mum who makes just about everything they eat!

Liz46 Thu 23-Jun-16 08:32:28

In my ignorance, I grew our asparagus from seed, not knowing that it was not the usual way of going about it. My husband dug out the soil on the allotment, put manure in and then replaced the soil. We planted the seedlings and discovered that we had far too many and had to make another bed and give the rest of the seedlings away.
We had to wait a couple of years before we were able to pick it but it has been very successful.
We are finding the allotment too much like hard work now and will probably not keep it next year but we will miss the very fresh fruit and vegetables.

Liz46 Thu 23-Jun-16 08:33:40

Yes, Maggiemaybe and it is amazing how quickly it comes through!

Maggiemaybe Thu 23-Jun-16 08:36:51

Oh, it's instantaneous! And the tiniest scrap of asparagus can spark it off, at least in my case blush

Jalima Thu 23-Jun-16 09:47:02

I don't grow it, but only buy British, preferably from the next county; does that make me an asparagus snob? grin
I've never noticed the pee - is it a similar effect to vitamin tablet pee or - even worse - beetroot pee?

peaceatlast Thu 23-Jun-16 10:18:00

My husband suffers from the dreaded asparagus "pee". It took him a while to work out why this was happening.

Diddy1 Thu 23-Jun-16 10:19:14

I have a ketchup snobb, one of my Granddaughters will only have HEINZ ketchup, what a laugh, I wonder if she can actually taste the diference.
Some Mothers do hav em!

hicaz46 Thu 23-Jun-16 10:22:34

Yes to asparagus wee and I agree, with me it is instantaneous.
I too will only buy English asparagus in season none of the inferior stuff imported from Peru. I try to buy most fruit and veg from the UK although that is very hard in the major supermarkets, Try seeking out English apples even in the peak of English apple season. (obviously bananas and oranges are exceptions but I don't eat them very often)

moxeyns Thu 23-Jun-16 10:22:36

The pee is the worst! Mutter. And I love asparagus! Beetroot wee is also highly disconcerting smile

K8tie Thu 23-Jun-16 10:38:47

Where do you find the white asparagus? I love those yet have only had them in Provence when visiting my son and his family.
Also I was amazed to empty my tiny two year old grand-daughter's potty to realise that her pee also smelled of asparagus as she loves them too!

missdeke Thu 23-Jun-16 10:53:38

Am I the only one who actually doen't like asparagus?

Funnygran Thu 23-Jun-16 10:57:32

I have had the white asparagus in Germany where it's seen as a delicacy. I was disappointed and decided I preferred the green English variety. Children's tastes are much more sophisticated these days with so much to choose from. I've seen my grandchildren tucking into olives, hummus, taramasalata etc from a pretty young age. At least they are fairly easy to feed.

harrigran Thu 23-Jun-16 11:08:50

K8tie, it was a jar of asparagus I brought back from Provence, when we empty the cupboards at the end of a holiday, tins and jars come home with us. We often have a nostalgia meal with various bits and pieces.
Asparagus pee ? yes I am afraid so blush

f77ms Thu 23-Jun-16 11:10:36

diddy1 Just fill up the empty Heinz bottle with own brand , she will never know . I did this with all sorts of stuff when mine had there food fad phase , they never knew grin