Gransnet forums

Chat

My grandson came out

(77 Posts)
Grantj10 Sat 25-Jun-16 14:38:26

Hi yesterday my grandson came out to me and his mum. We could not of been any more proud of him for coming out. He has asked me and his mum to tell everyone else in the family I don't know weather he should tell them or I or his mum should.

whitewave Sat 25-Jun-16 14:43:16

Make life easy for him and tell them yourselves if he is happy with that. If he is young they don't find things like that easy. He probably had to screw up his courage to tell you. Wish him well.

rafichagran Sat 25-Jun-16 14:43:24

You must be get proud, just let people know, does not matter who tells them.

Grantj10 Sat 25-Jun-16 14:49:05

He's 11 we told him we are proud of him and he doesn't need to worry about anything

whitewave Sat 25-Jun-16 14:50:43

Ahh! Hugs all around then

breeze Sat 25-Jun-16 15:32:17

Where's Jingle when you need her. Agree whitewave. Hugs all around. There is absolutely, nothing wrong, whatsoever, with being gay. When he's at the age of consent, you should be very proud of him if he is. But he is 11 years old. Boys/girls of that age have barely started hormone raging, let alone 'knowing' for sure. If I were you, I'd carry on loving him, supporting him, and try, for god's sake, to let him play with his toys for a few years more before reinforcing in his mind, what could, and it could, be a phase.

Grantj10 Sat 25-Jun-16 15:46:52

I will always love him no matter what. I don't think it's a phase he has always been quite girly

MiniMouse Sat 25-Jun-16 16:03:35

Well, at least it didn't come as a shock to you, after all you had already bought him the onesie with pink trimmings.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 25-Jun-16 16:06:09

11?!!!!! How can he possibly know?

World's gone mad. Just ignore it. hmm

Newquay Sat 25-Jun-16 16:07:49

Yes I agree with breeze. Of course, love him as he is as you obviously already have-nothing's changed. But give him chance, let him play and be young then when hormones start charging round you/he will,soon know for sure. Don't try to let him put himself into any "box" yet.

Newquay Sat 25-Jun-16 16:09:15

Our lovely nephew, now 40, said he knew for sure when he was 14 and the boys at school were all fancying the girls and he just didn't. He waited a long time to be sure. . We couldn't love him any more or less.

rafichagran Sat 25-Jun-16 16:12:43

I thought he was older, carry on loving and supporting him for sure, but he is below the age of consent, and he may be influenced by things around him especially in social media. He may change as he gets older, things we do and say as a child are different when we are teenagers and adults. Please do not read too much into this,but as you say it does not matter anyway. As another poster said he is far too young, and should be thinking of other things. I too have a 11year old grandson, and all he thinks about is football, sport, sats, and other pursuits at that are usual at that age He is very much into masculine things but I would not ever presume to judge his sexuality on that. He will be what he is and that is good enough in my book. I want him to enjoy his young years and not start to think of things like that.

breeze Sat 25-Jun-16 16:19:43

Goodness, I hope you will always love him, no matter what. Slightly missing the point though. He may well be girly. And it's fine if he is. And it may well not be a phase. But he's so young! I'm not suggesting, honestly, for one moment, at all, it's wrong to be gay. I'm just saying he's a child. I honestly, would just take it with a pinch of salt, not make a fuss for now. It makes me uncomfortable to discuss sexuality at that age. If an 11 year old girl announced to her father, 'I am heterosexual'. You'd be thinking 'Fine. But why the hell are you thinking about that at age 11'. Do you see what I mean? I hope you do. It's honestly not a criticism. You sound very loving and caring. There just seems to be a trend recently, that we're so busy concentrating on it 'being alright to be who you are' that we forget, they're still children

breeze Sat 25-Jun-16 16:20:26

And while I was typing, there she is!

breeze Sat 25-Jun-16 16:21:58

Swooped in on that old Nimbus 2000!

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 25-Jun-16 16:23:19

Yes. "There she is". Saying in half a dozen words that which it takes some several paragraphs to put over. smile

Synonymous Sat 25-Jun-16 16:23:56

breeze very good post. smile

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 25-Jun-16 16:25:34

hmm grin

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 25-Jun-16 16:26:38

What is a Nimbus 2000? (If we really have to make this about me)

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 25-Jun-16 16:27:45

Ah. I don't do Harry Potter. smile

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 25-Jun-16 16:31:02

Did no one have crushes on older girls around the ages of fourteen or if fifteen? But went on to become boy crazy interested only in the opposite sex? Perhaps it was a girls' school thing. Wait for maturity to kick in.

breeze Sat 25-Jun-16 16:31:35

wink

thatbags Sat 25-Jun-16 16:32:08

I agree with breeze. Just accept it in the same way that you would him saying that he's going to be the first person to walk on Mars, or all the way round the moon. In other words, consider it possible (just possible) that he might change his mind. If he doesn't, that's fine.

Minor point but I don't really see where pride comes into it.

MiniMouse Sat 25-Jun-16 16:34:37

Could I refer posters to a previous thread started by the same OP? "Buying Grandson a Onesie" started on 12th June 2016.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 25-Jun-16 16:35:34

Oh! hmm grin