Gransnet forums

Chat

Flirting

(55 Posts)
Teetime Thu 30-Jun-16 09:29:10

Yesterday I went to the make up counter at John Lewis (wedding pending) to get my eyes done by the lady on the Clarins counter (Leicester branch she is lovely been there years). While I was perched on the stool being done a gentleman came along and started to join in our conversation about my eyes (lovely apparently!! grin) and the lady thought we were together so she kept asking his opinion. He chatted and smiled at me and then asked for some moisturiser- 'a metrosexual' I said giggling playfully, shameless hussy. The lady twigged we weren't together and went all apologetic served him and he went on his merry way. I have to ask myself when will I stop this unseemly behaviour- the answer is apparently probably never - are you a flirt or do you have more decorum than me?

GandTea Thu 30-Jun-16 09:50:12

Go for it girl, it made two people happy and probably gave the lady a laugh later.

Teetime Thu 30-Jun-16 10:04:37

Forgot to say yes I told DH - he wasn't a bit surprised seen and heard it all before and has had to drag me home occasionally!! grin

Jayh Thu 30-Jun-16 10:06:17

I would love to master the art of flirting but I have never quite got the hang of it. If someone flirts with me I think he is taking the mick. Oh,teetime the fun I am missing! I will make learning to flirt my next project.

sunseeker Thu 30-Jun-16 10:06:57

Nothing wrong with a bit of flirting! Probably made you all smile and I bet he went on his way with a spring in his step.

Lona Thu 30-Jun-16 10:16:18

Love it Teetime
My friend is a shameless flirt at 75, although she does believe that the young men really mean it hmm
I've always been a flirt and my mother was flirting on her death bed with the MacMillan nurse (male of course!)
It makes us smile so why not? smile

KatyK Thu 30-Jun-16 10:22:37

Me too Jayh Wehen I was in my late 50s, I was standing at the bus stop on my way home from work when a a handsome young man walked towards me and said 'Hello, may I say you look lovely today?' I sort of stuttered 'erm thank you'. He then said 'Have you got someone waiting for you at home?' I said 'I have a husband'. He said 'He's a very lucky man' I said 'Thank you' and he said 'Not at all, credit where credit's due' and walked off. A granny chaser maybe, but I didn't care. No harm was done and I was full of myself all night! grin

Gagagran Thu 30-Jun-16 10:39:25

I love a good flirty exchange - puts a sparkle in the eye and a rosy glow on the face! I had such an encounter in Tesco this morning!

Searching fruitlessly for some tinned ratatouille, I eventually accosted a handsome silver-fox member of staff who could not have been more helpful although fruitlessly too!I got to the end of the aisle, ratatouille-less when he came chasing after me - he'd found it in the tinned peas (?) section!

I think we both enjoyed the banter - and the flirting-lite. It made my day AND I got my ratatouille! winkblush

Maggiemaybe Thu 30-Jun-16 11:41:57

Not quite so much opportunity for flirting these days, apart from in Italy, where they don't seem to be at all fussy ageist smile

I was chuffed to get wolf-whistled this week, from a van driver who could actually see me full face - usually it's someone who can only see my rear view and probably feels a bit embarrassed when he realises what he's done.

Teetime Thu 30-Jun-16 11:44:43

Oh I think we need a lot more of this how about a new p****cal party the Flirting Party dedicated to making someone's day by paying them a compliment, giving them a wink or a whistle.

petra Thu 30-Jun-16 15:51:07

I was at Leigh on Sea folk festival last Sunday. A very attractive man asked me to dance. Loved it, so did my OH, Daughter, and DGC.

GandTea Thu 30-Jun-16 16:38:39

Mrs P and I went to our usual Friday night dance last week, a rather attractive lady came over looking for a dance partner ---- it wasn't me, Hmm....

ffinnochio Thu 30-Jun-16 16:50:00

I don't have a flirty bone in my body, and dislike others being flirty with me.

Greyduster Thu 30-Jun-16 16:59:44

I don't get flirted with very often, but we have an old friend who is a bit of a flirt and I'm ashamed to say I flirt with him back! Fortunately, his wife of fifty years, and my DH of fifty years this weekend, know there's no harm in it! I once went to a concert in St David's Cathedral on my own and was approached afterward, when we were all outside watching the most beautiful sunset, by a charming man who chatted about the music we'd been listening to and then invited me out for a drink. I told him that my husband and son were waiting for me at home and he said, "Ah, my loss, their gain"! I don't blush, but I did then!

tanith Thu 30-Jun-16 17:30:26

I find flirting uncomfortable always have I suppose I don't know how to respond so I try to ignore it.

annodomini Thu 30-Jun-16 17:31:08

I used to be an awful flirt which almost got me into a few 'interesting' scrapes, but all that was 50 years ago and I'd look a bit foolish trying it on now!

Tegan Thu 30-Jun-16 18:36:27

When I was working I was chatting in reception about music and stuff with a young patient. The office manager, when I went back in said 'she's such a flirt'. Tried to point out that I was just having a conversation with him (which I was).Several years later it still annoys me!

kittylester Thu 30-Jun-16 21:44:22

My mother is still an unstoppable flirt but I've always found it cringeworthy to watch so haven't ever done it. blush

Deedaa Thu 30-Jun-16 21:49:22

I really can't resist it if I get the opportunity. Obviously it has to be someone flirtworthy. But if it adds a bit of fun to the day, why not?

Teetime Fri 01-Jul-16 09:07:33

I flirt shamelessly with waiters and find I get nice service-my eldest daughter has a gold medal in flirting but the youngest one cringes when I do it. I'll carry on though but as you say deeda they have to be flirtworthy.

Juggernaut Fri 01-Jul-16 09:42:22

My grandmother was a supreme flirt, my mum was the same, I've inherited the flirting gene and in turn passed it on to my son!
There's nothing wrong with a bit of flirting, it makes the world go aroundwink

cavaliermum Fri 01-Jul-16 09:53:10

Even the word 'Flirt'sounds like fun
I'm Flirty and both my adult daughters are
The way the country / world are today we all need a little more happy banter in our lives
Long live flirts ❤️❤️❤️

Dee Fri 01-Jul-16 10:04:53

When my mum was dying in hospital she went in and out of consciousness. Every day I visited her she became worse then one day a handsome doctor came on to the ward. She spotted him out of the corner of her eye then followed his progress down the ward with a smile. It was priceless and precious, I'd got my very flirty mum back for a few seconds. Its in the genes, I'm just like her though happily hale and hearty.

DanniRae Fri 01-Jul-16 10:18:01

My son was mortified when I picked him up from a school journey and commented to his [male] teacher that he was nice and brown. He replied "You should see my legs" and without thinking I said "Later". It probably wasn't appropriate but I said it without thinking. Once a flirt, always a flirt eh?

inishowen Fri 01-Jul-16 10:24:53

I'm too reserved to flirt. However DH is a terrible flirt. It's wonderful to watch the effect he has on ladies. From the Tesco staff to the old dears in the charity shop he can't help himself. He always makes someone's day, so that's good.