Gransnet forums

Chat

Older men wearing shorts

(85 Posts)
BBbevan Thu 28-Jul-16 08:41:09

My neighbour was telling me of an article she had read which said that older men should not be allowed to wear shorts as they look awful in them.
My DH, over 70, wears shorts as soon as the weather warms up. His shorts end just above the knee, and he usually wears a polo shirt or a cotton one. He dislikes trainers, so wears either fisherman's sandals, Birkenstocks or deck shoes. I think he looks pretty good.
Do any of you GNs have DHs, Ohs, Partners or even family who wear shorts?
Do they look good in them, or should they be discouraged?

Indinana Thu 28-Jul-16 08:48:58

This sort of ageism really infuriates me. It's bad enough getting older, with all the limitations it brings, without the style police getting in on the act too angry. Why the hell shouldn't older men - and women for that matter - wear shorts if they want to? My DH is vertically challenged and frankly I think he looks better in shorts than trousers grin (and at least I don't have to take the shorts up for him!). His shorts are usually a couple of inches above the knee and he tends to wear them from about May onwards, and well into the autumn. He too wears them with a polo shirt, but with trainers as he doesn't like sandals. And yes, I reckon he looks good in them.

DanniRae Thu 28-Jul-16 08:55:29

My husband (72) loves wearing shorts and looks really good in them. He is nice and slim and has good legs that seem to stay tanned all year round. Why should he stop just because he is 'an older man'?

Mumsy Thu 28-Jul-16 08:56:13

nothing wrong in older people wearing shorts, Ive seen worse sights with youngsters wearing them lol. We should wear what we like! well apart from men wearing socks with sandals!

I live in sheltered and we have communal gardens, the new neighbour above me is 63 he sits out in his shorts and topless and theres been a few of the older generation 80+ complaining that he is half naked lol. Me well I love a bit of eye candy lol.

J52 Thu 28-Jul-16 08:57:56

My DH wears shorts as soon as the weather warms up. Also with the accompanying polo shirt and trainers.

DSs also wear shorts, but with flip flops! I really can't see what the problem is!

Bellanonna Thu 28-Jul-16 09:14:01

My husband looks really good in his shorts. He wears them with sandals or deck shoes. Good legs to go with them.

DaphneBroon Thu 28-Jul-16 09:18:10

There's shorts and there's shorts and there's men and there's men!
Just above or on the knee with good legs and a tan is very attractive, reminds me of stiff upper lipped young officers in Jewel in The Crown and there's the shorts a man wore when he did his National Service -don't go there - and then ther's young men in those awful halfway down the calf, baggy pocketed "combats?" Usually accessorised with tattoos, beer bellies,and very short hair.
Bring back Carruthers with his shorts, knee length socks and swagger stick!!

DaphneBroon Thu 28-Jul-16 09:19:00

Bellanonna he's Italian of course!! Natural sense of style smile

Greyduster Thu 28-Jul-16 09:20:05

We have had a bit of a tussle over shorts this summer. DH had three pairs - one unfashionably short pair, which make him look like an eighties scout master; one fashionably long but a bit on the baggy side, which make him look like Sanders of the River; and one pair, in fetching jungle green hmm, that look good on him (he still has good legs - it's just the rest of him that's a bit dodgy). The scout master ones have been restricted to the garden. We spent an excruciating afternoon in Debenhams looking for some nice modern cargoes (I couldn't swing him on tailored shorts) and he behaved like a stroppy seven year old, but now he loves them and is talking about getting another pair. He wears them with deck shoes or trainers, and trainer socks. I have no objection to older men wearing shorts, but what I absolutely hate to see is older men wearing shorts with dark ankle socks and any type of plimsole or light coloured trainer. If mine did that I wouldn't let him out of the house.

PRINTMISS Thu 28-Jul-16 09:22:22

No problem with shorts, not keen on the bare chested, specially when it involves a rather large stomach bulging dangerously. Shorts are very much the order of the day here, except for my o.h who is definitely old hat!

varian Thu 28-Jul-16 09:27:42

Michael Eavis, farmer and Glastonbury festival founder wears shorts all year round - and he is over eighty

Lillie Thu 28-Jul-16 09:34:43

I'm fine with it at any age, but as said, no socks and best accompanied with polo type shirt.

KatyK Thu 28-Jul-16 09:42:28

My DH is 70 and wears shorts in the summer. He is very slim and looks fine in them.

NonnaW Thu 28-Jul-16 09:43:29

My DH wears shorts. He has a couple of pairs of tailored shorts, and got himself a couple of pairs of cargo shorts, mainly because all the pockets are handy for dog walking (all the bags, biscuits, ball etc). One pair is ok but I upset him a bit when I said the other pair reminded me of Terry Scott in Carry On Camping!

gillybob Thu 28-Jul-16 09:59:19

Maybe the article refers to "short" shorts BBbevan and not shorts in general. My DH wears shorts, well kind of longs really, as they tend to be knee length or even longer. He is over 6ft tall and still has very good legs.

I must admit that the sight of an old man in a pair of skimpy shorts, or worse still, budgie smuggler swimming trunks, is cringe worthy.

whitewave Thu 28-Jul-16 10:11:06

DH isn't keen but will wear them when we are on holiday and the temperature goes above 30, and then only on the beach!

I like shorts and wear them - they skim my knees and I wear them when walking and on the beach.
It is all about what is appropriate really.

I certainly don't worry about others opinion, what do they know??!!

Lilyflower Thu 28-Jul-16 10:12:11

My DH wears shorts and looks very good in them as his legs are still great. I think he looks more attractive than some younger men who wear shorts with bad legs, beer bellies and tattoos.

henetha Thu 28-Jul-16 10:14:34

On another thread recently we agreed that women should be allowed to wear what they like for as long as they like.
The same applies to men. What harm are they doing?
Long live shorts for those who want to wear them!

anne53 Thu 28-Jul-16 10:18:23

DH's birthday today. Bought him some shorts but long shorts! Don't think he has realised that all his "short" shorts have mysteriously disappeared from his wardrobe! Not even suitable for gardening in! I suppose I'll have to admit to my misdemeanours someday when he misses them. He looks good in longer shorts though and spends all summer in them.

goose1964 Thu 28-Jul-16 10:18:41

my DH wears shorts but hates longer ones & wears them with sports socks & deck shoes - not the best look in the world

Gagagran Thu 28-Jul-16 10:18:50

Agree with all the above.

My DH wears shorts all the time from early spring to early winter and has lovely shapely brown legs from all the cycling he does.

We had a good chuckle the other weekend when DS and family came for the day and DS had on an identical pair of shorts to his Dad's. Looked like a uniform. He has nice legs too so they both looked very good. But if they are comfortable wearing them should it matter if they don't look good?

Why be judgemental? Live and let live says I - as long as it doesn't frighten the horses! wink

vickymeldrew Thu 28-Jul-16 10:19:12

My DH looks great in shorts close to knee high. It's the skimpy shorts that look decidedly dodgy to me and I mentally think "put it away!" Equally offensive is men in vests (of any age) who stand in shop queues hands on hips exposing hairy armpits at my face level. Strap hanging on public transport is another minefield for me. Sorry if I've put anyone off their breakfast !!

Nonnie Thu 28-Jul-16 10:19:22

Oh dear, I didn't realise this was a 'thing'. A friend just a couple of weeks ago said that men over 50 shouldn't wear shorts and looked at me as if she knew I would agree. I had no idea what she was talking about. Shorts are shorts and, like any other piece of clothing should be chosen according to whether they suit and not according to age imo.

Rosina Thu 28-Jul-16 10:29:44

Like short skirts - it does depend on the legs! My DH has good legs but is a most conventional Englishman and sticks with trousers; we have a neighbour with decent enough legs but he wears the shortest shorts I have ever seen - people flinch when they see him loping along with his dog; it looks sooo wrong on a man in his seventies, but these shorts would probably look pretty bad on anybody, even a tanned hunk of about thirty!

JessM Thu 28-Jul-16 10:30:07

Sometimes older men display legs that are veiny and discoloured. But hey! that is life. No reason to cover them up if they don't want to. It's good to get a bit of sun on their legs and vitamin D.
My DH not yet reached retirement age but loves his shorts. When he was "there boss" he sometimes used to wear them in hot weather. Now he's a student he wears them half the year. I'm sure not everybody enjoys the sight of his very large muscly legs (the prop-forward look) but they don't have to stare.