Gransnet forums

Chat

To Dunk or not to Dunk - that is the question

(73 Posts)
Teetime Sun 28-Aug-16 12:42:33

DH and I were discussing the Camilla Long article in the Sunday Times today where she berates the producers of 'Bake off' for setting up Mary Berry to tell Paul Hollywood off about dunking his Jaffa Cake in his tea. She told him ' we don't do that in the South'. Camilla Long asserted that it is a class rather than a geographical issue. I accused DH a lifelong southerner of dunking cake. He replied loftily that's only when it's stale (I don't give him stake cake) I wouldn't dunk one of those things - well I wouldn't eat one of those things'. What's your view of this terribly important subject?

NanaandGrampy Sun 28-Aug-16 12:46:17

One dunks biscuits , one does not dunk cake ( stale or not ) smile

Southerner here !

Charleygirl Sun 28-Aug-16 12:46:26

I was brought up never to dunk, but I was dragged up proper in Scotland.

Riverwalk Sun 28-Aug-16 12:52:37

The French dunk toast in coffee and the Spanish dunk churros in hot chocolate so feel free to dunk!

Yes, it's a class thing in the UK .... as ever.

Ana Sun 28-Aug-16 12:53:37

I don't dunk and I don't like to see it done!

Ana Sun 28-Aug-16 12:54:24

It's not a 'class' thing with me!

tanith Sun 28-Aug-16 12:54:38

I wouldn't dunk a Jaffa the sponge is just too soft , biscuits are for dunking not cake.
Perhaps everyone could suggest their favourite dunking biscuit, mine would be digestives but for OH its Ginger Nuts..

NanaandGrampy Sun 28-Aug-16 13:02:36

For Grampy it would have to be a proper digestive no own brand stuff please ( even Sam the dog turns his nose up at those ) and for me one of those round shortbread biscuits.... mmmmmm

Alima Sun 28-Aug-16 13:04:02

DH seems to dunk any old biscuit in tea and DGS is learning from him. I don't drink tea at all but do think that Kit Kats are lovely dunked in coffee.

Auntieflo Sun 28-Aug-16 13:10:25

My Dad used to dunk, ( he took his teeth out to eat) TMI. He got me to try it, and when I discovered bits at the bottom, I never did it again.

Indinana Sun 28-Aug-16 13:30:14

I don't dunk cake, but I always dunk biscuits (remember the Rich Tea advert - "tea's too wet without one"?

DH dunks croissants in his coffee. Rather good, in fact, I've tried it.

When I was doing the night feeds with my DD 40 odd years ago I used to have a cuppa and a couple of biscuits while I was feeding her. One night, as I drained the last drop, I felt a largish biscuit crumb in my mouth. Then I remembered that I was all out of biscuits so hadn't had one. I spat out..... a bluebottle shock. I was so revolted by this that I rushed into the kitchen (after carefully lying baby down of course) and actually washed my mouth out with soap grin

pensionpat Sun 28-Aug-16 13:34:36

I worked with someone who put a finger of Kit Kat into his drink and sucked up the drink through the Kit Kat! Peter Kay has a funny routine about the suitability of different biscuits for dunking.

Swanny Sun 28-Aug-16 13:45:19

I was brought up never to dunk. My mother believed that having a drink available when eating anything led to inadequate chewing, which led to tummy ache, which led to constipation grin However I have occasionally been known to try it, purely in the interests of research of course, and have to admit a good ginger biscuit makes for a good dunk smile

DanniRae Sun 28-Aug-16 13:49:47

I LOVE rich tea biscuits dunked in my tea. I have always done it and have happy memories of coming home from school, mum making me a cuppa and dipping loads the finger type rich tea in my tea.

And I'm a Southerner too!

Greyduster Sun 28-Aug-16 14:19:28

Dunk cake?? Nevah, Sah!! Where's me horse whip?? Biscuits on the other hand - custard creams, chocolate chip cookies, digestives but NOT chocolate ones, and I am with N&G - never own brand digestives. It has to be McVities or nothing. Northerner here.

phoenix Sun 28-Aug-16 15:12:13

Maryland cookies dunked in milk were a childhood favourite.

A friend and I were once planning to write a book on dunking, we were going to go to places like Clarifies and The Ritz for tea and blatantly dunk, to see what reaction we got. We never quite managed that, but did some quite extensive research on suitabilty and comparability of certain biscuits with various liquids.

"Nice" (as in the variety, not a comment on their social standing) are obviously not recommended for the amateur dunker, as the timing of the immersion is crucial, as it the transfer of the biscuit from cup to mouth.

Get it wrong, and you either end up with a nasty sludge at the bottom of the mug, or a soggy mess in your lap.

However for a rather more sophisticated experience, try all butter Danish biscuits dunked in sherry.blush

Little finger crooking is optional, but if you DO decide to do it, try to make it understated rather than ostentatious.

phoenix Sun 28-Aug-16 15:14:28

CLARIFIES? CLARIDGES!

Greyduster Sun 28-Aug-16 15:31:50

I think you can get away with dunking in most places these days, but if you lose half your biscuit in the cup you must resist the urge to fish it out with your fingers. This is a complete social no-no and immediately marks you out as nouveau riche, ill-mannered country bumpkin and you will be evicted from Clarifies ? on the spot by a waiter in a tail coat with his nose in the air! As will dunking Ritz biscuits in The Ritz!

BBbevan Sun 28-Aug-16 16:06:43

Drawing two threads together ,I loved a cheese sandwich dunked in a cup of cocoa when I was pregnant.

ginny Sun 28-Aug-16 17:45:30

Dunk anything you want but maybe not in company where people don't know you.

ffinnochio Sun 28-Aug-16 17:54:39

Depends on the biscuit. Will also dunk stale fruit cake and French bread - especially buttered - and only in coffee.

Witzend Sun 28-Aug-16 18:13:56

We never dunked in our house - it was not considered 'done' and it would still make me wince a bit, if I'm honest. Mind you we hardly ever had biscuits, and I still hardly ever buy them - largely because I'd eat a whole packet of any I really like in a day!

I did a French exchange trip at just 14 and was made to feel slightly sick by my exchange girl's mother dunking her breakfast bread and butter in her bowl of milky tea. Globules of melted butter would float on the top - how she could bear to drink that I could not understand.
Mind you my French improved no end!

kittylester Sun 28-Aug-16 18:45:15

Have you met my Mother? Dunking is soooo common! Actually, I like my biscuits crisp!

numberplease Sun 28-Aug-16 19:04:18

My Father-in-law always said dunking was a disgusting habit, but I always dunk ginger biscuits, not to the extent that they turn soggy though, can`t stand soggy biscuits.

Lona Sun 28-Aug-16 19:11:38

My lovely dad brought me up to dunk thick buttered toast in tea, and I've always dunked biscuits, but never chocolate ones!
I'm a common northerner ?