Gransnet forums

Chat

What's your dream Bake Off Reincarnation?

(36 Posts)
icequeen Thu 22-Sep-16 16:23:16

Or who would you like to see?
Or who do you think is likely to take over Bake Off?
I know many would want the original line-up to stay as is but who do you think could carry it off and make a success of it?

I think Miranda would be an excellent Mel/Sue option. And for the judges...anyone other than Paul. But I do like the Masterchef woman, Monica Galeti. What do others think?

hulahoop Thu 22-Sep-16 16:36:43

What about a previous winner to be a judge or even guest ones with Paul . Mirander would be good as presenter don't think they need two

Christinefrance Thu 22-Sep-16 16:50:29

Jamie Oliver has expressed an interest in Bake Off not sure how that fits with his anti sugar campaign.
Love Raymond Blanc and Monica Galeti. Sarah Millican would be a good presenter.

rosesarered Thu 22-Sep-16 17:10:49

Tbh I have had enough of it all.

rosesarered Thu 22-Sep-16 17:12:48

But if forced to say ( taking a leaf out of Jeremy Corbyn's book) why not Jane Asher as one person, Delia Smith as another.

Ana Thu 22-Sep-16 17:19:30

I can't work up any enthusiasm about this either. I can't see it working with new presenters, no matter what gimmicks C4 employ.

Gino D'Acampo, Jamie Oliver and Sarah Millican - no one would be able to understand what anyone said! grin

(only joking. I'm not accentist, honest...)

rosesarered Thu 22-Sep-16 17:25:52

I would have to turn the sound off Ana grin

merlotgran Thu 22-Sep-16 17:26:07

I'm not bothered either. Bake Off has had its day but I expect they'll come up with a completely different format and location so it might work.

Swanny Thu 22-Sep-16 17:54:29

Former C4 chief exec, Lord Grade. has apparently said he thinks Channel 4 has shot itself very seriously in the foot by this move. I suspect they bought GBBO on the premise it would continue in the current vein, as that's what's made it so popular. They probably did not expect Mary Berry to say she is not going with the programme.

For replacement presenters they could invite previous series' winners - it did 'Have I Got News For You' no harm to move from a regular presenter to a different one each week. However they will need a co-judge without a personal drum to bang and who enjoys some repartee with Paul H. I can't see any of the above suggestions playing second fiddle to him.

DanniRae Thu 22-Sep-16 20:27:02

NOT Jane Asher!! - I have disliked her ever since I was in love with Paul McCartney and she was his girlfriend.

NOT Miranda either.

I like Monica Galeti and Sarah Millican.

Lillie Thu 22-Sep-16 20:32:28

Let's go a bit more modern with Lorraine Pascale. Her baking recipes are brilliant and she presents well.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 22-Sep-16 20:42:58

That the whole bloody lot goes up in a puff of acrid smoke.

Irma Thu 22-Sep-16 20:51:01

I agree jinglbellsfrock (great name)

Elrel Thu 22-Sep-16 21:58:53

Nigel Slater's down to earth approach would make a welcome change from Paul
Monica G is critical but not arrogant
Raymond Blanc would be charming and amusing
Jo Brand and Miranda Hart? Would the bakes be safe from them?

Hilltopgran Fri 23-Sep-16 00:22:10

Another vote for Lorraine Pascal, really like her approach and she is very knowledgeable. Chanel 4 already have a presenter in Kirsty Alsop, I would much prefer her friendly approach to presenting to some of the other suggestions.

I have learnt some good tips watching the programme so I just hope they continue to share knowledge and entertain us.

LullyDully Fri 23-Sep-16 08:50:43

If they have to carry on, it musnt be a chef, more of a " home baker".So I do think Lorraine Pascall would fit the bill. She is also a lady as is Mary...if you get my drift. Her food is down to earth yet special. A presenter is trickier , Miranda would upstage everyone in the nicest way as would Jo Brand!!!!! Some of the women on An Extra Slice could do the job maybe.

Or just drop the whole thing and quit while they are winning.

Shortlegs Fri 23-Sep-16 11:41:59

So long as it's not the sanctimonious Jamie Oliver or the shouty greengrocer from Masterchef I really don't mind.

Zorro21 Fri 23-Sep-16 12:36:06

Shortlegs - ha ha ha - summed up in one !!!

PLEASE don't let it be either of them !

I would like Alan Carr or Gok Wan.

Ana Fri 23-Sep-16 12:37:42

Noooo! Not Alan Carr...

specki4eyes Fri 23-Sep-16 13:49:15

I like baking but I never watch Bake Off on account of that slimey git Paul Hollywood. He came to the show with his Degree in stating The Bleeding Obvious. I've been following Mary Berry's recipes since she wrote the cooking column for Family Circle back in the 70s. It was an insult to her to have him lisping about nothing at her side. Please please please NOT...Nigel Slater/Jamie Oliver/Nigella/Jane Asher. What about Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall or that nice Irish woman (Rachel ???) or James Martin?
Mel and Sue can be pretty annoying too - interfering and trying to be funny, but not succeeding.
Thats my Grumpy Granny statement for today.grin

merlotgran Fri 23-Sep-16 13:57:10

The combined 'look at me' talents of Paul Hollywood and Nigella Lawson would make entertaining viewing.

Luckygirl Fri 23-Sep-16 14:26:00

Paul Hollywood gets my vote for the person most in need of a "finger down throat" icon next to his name. What a self- publicising pillock he really is. Can't imagine how anyone can watch a programme he is on.

granjura Fri 23-Sep-16 15:12:51

Agreed- what a pompous so and so. I think I wrote before about what a friend of mine from Canterbury told me. They really don't like him there because he had loads of debts when his bakery there went bust- and even now he is really wealthy- he has never bothered to pay his creditors there- small businesses themselves.

To be quite honest, I am fed up with the same series, BAke Off, Strictly, the Voice, Xfactor, etc, etc - time for something new, please.

shysal Fri 23-Sep-16 15:49:56

I am sorry that Paul is staying. I would like to see Donal Skehan, a judge from Junior Masterchef. He has a lovely twinkle in his eye and a gorgeous Irish lilt. As presenter I love the comedy of Josh Widdicombe, who is great on the Extra Slice programmes.

KatyK Fri 23-Sep-16 19:19:29

Donal was great on Saturday Kitchen live. smile