Gransnet forums

Chat

How come ?

(113 Posts)
Anniebach Fri 23-Sep-16 08:55:38

I saw a Gorgous thick cotton crochet type winter pull on hat , perfect with the wraps I wear so bought it,

I did not expect to look like the female modelling it, long fair hair etc, but how come I look like Benny Hill ?

baubles Fri 23-Sep-16 09:00:42

gringringrin

Happens to me all the time. Huge gap between what I imagine a garment will look like on me and what the mirror shows me.

I'm sure you're much better looking than Benny Hill though.

harrigran Fri 23-Sep-16 09:09:03

I try to wear scarves and shawls but end up looking more like a fishwife than an elegant model.

Greyduster Fri 23-Sep-16 09:22:49

I can't wear hats, despite being attracted to a great many that I thought would suit me. I try them on, look in the mirror and then throw them down in disgust. I am the ruin of a good hat! DD bought me a beautiful scarf last year and I love to wear it, but it is very long and no matter what I try and do with it, it seems to have a mind of its own! I am still doing battle with it, though!

PRINTMISS Fri 23-Sep-16 09:28:48

I love to wear hats, and do! Don't go in for the big fancy ones, just the 'cap' type, but I think perhaps my favourite will have to go this year, either it has stretched, or I have shrunk, because it now slips down over my eyes. Not a pretty sight, love shawls too.

annsixty Fri 23-Sep-16 09:53:02

I have a shelf full of scarves and pashminas which never see the light of day. I am short with no neck and they just bunch up and look comical. "In my next life " I am coming back tall and slender,

Jane10 Fri 23-Sep-16 09:54:29

The Benny Hill comment struck a chord with me. Hats and scarves just make me look (even more) like a fat scare crow! Some people just have it and some don't. I don't.sad

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 23-Sep-16 09:54:44

The only head warming gear that looks halfway decent on me is that favoured by our own dear Queen, the headscarf. Not much warmth in it though.

annodomini Fri 23-Sep-16 09:59:38

I like to wear a hat in winter. I get awful earache if I'm out in the wind so I bought a beanie hat with an integrated earband, but it makes me look like a clootie dumpling if it get it down as far as my ears - they must be unusually low!

Anniebach Fri 23-Sep-16 10:00:20

I am not concerned with clothes but have to wear them, 1. I would be arrested . 2. It can get very cold half way up a Welsh mountain

I have always worn wraps, shawls, scarfs, pull on woolly / cotton hats in winter and floppy straw hats in summer - and clothes too grin . Suppose I am not a dress up person but a fling it on it will do person

rubysong Fri 23-Sep-16 10:02:45

I quite like hats, both summer and winter, but I don't like 'hat hair' so I either have to go without the hat or keep it on all day.

grannyqueenie Fri 23-Sep-16 10:07:04

harrigran me too!

Nonnie Fri 23-Sep-16 10:12:22

I love hats, especially big flashy ones, try them on look in the counter mirror and I am just so gorgeous. Then I look in the full length mirror and a table lamp is reflected back! Unless I grow a lot fancy hats are not for me.

I have one of those fur type things for cold weather, I think they suit most people.

BlueBelle Fri 23-Sep-16 10:12:24

I can't wear hats, I d like to, but I look like worzal gummidge it must be my head, because others look great in them and I d like to wear one I have tried everything from a big hat to a benny they all make me look awful

DanniRae Fri 23-Sep-16 10:14:56

I wish I could 'do' scarves - I'm fine with woolly ones when it's cold but can never get the elegant type right. I see other women with their beautiful scarves wrapped 'carelessly' around their necks, try and copy but land up feeling daft and take it off pretty quick. I guess I am not the elegant type?? hmm

HootyMcOwlface Fri 23-Sep-16 10:20:14

We dressed up at work for something or other, and my costume had a hat. I got fed up of it by about 10 o'clock and took it off, but when I saw my hair in a mirror I nearly died. It was flat as a pancake and stuck to my head so I had to wear the flaming hat all day! Why do hats make my hair greasy?! I would love to wear a woolly hat in the winter, I get earache with the cold or wind, but I just dare not risk it! I have to have a coat with a hood!

Jane10 Fri 23-Sep-16 10:34:13

I compromised for DD's wedding and wore a fascinator. I looked like a Martian with an aerial sticking out of my head. Och!

MiniMouse Fri 23-Sep-16 10:48:20

Hats are not user-friendly for me. I just look like a mushroom with a very short stalk!

Anniebach Fri 23-Sep-16 11:23:44

Not one of you can beat this for the title - plonker in a hat.

In my late teens a very elderly lady in the village decided to clear her wardrobe and brought a bag of her clothes and hats to our house as a thank you for my Dad cutting firewood for her.

One of my sisters dared me to wear some things so I went to church in a thirties brown felt hat and a red boa , my mother spent the entire service giving my the most unchristian of glares

the lady said she was thrilled her gifts were appreciated !

wot Fri 23-Sep-16 11:26:33

hooty, you could wear fluffy earmuffs

Greyduster Fri 23-Sep-16 11:26:53

Last time I went fishing - the one time I do wear a hat because it's a better idea to get a hook stuck in your hat than your scalp - DH said to me "that hat makes you look old". I told him I am old, but I was considerably put out by the remark. He is the offending hat!

Greyduster Fri 23-Sep-16 11:27:50

'Here' !!

pollyperkins Fri 23-Sep-16 11:31:38

Jane10 I wore a black feather fascinator to a wedding and was ragee pleased with tg effect as I dont do hats. That is until my H told me I looked as if a crow had crashed into the side of my head!

Anniebach Fri 23-Sep-16 12:22:25

Greyduster, you look very Penelope Keith, very country set, lovely

Greyduster Fri 23-Sep-16 13:19:27

Gosh, I should be so lucky!!