Gransnet forums

Chat

Sharpen your saw.

(13 Posts)
suebailey1 Sun 14-Sep-14 10:40:29

Modern life is busy and can be exhausting especially when trying to look after elderly parents, grandchildren and ourselves. When I was in senior management and lecturing on management I was often asked how to cope. My favourite text was 'The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People' by Covey. My favourite habit was 'Sharpen your Saw'.

The story goes along the lines of this 'A man was sawing down a huge tree stump. He sawed and sawed and the more he worked the less progress he made and the more exhausted he got. Another man seeing this said 'Your saw is blunt. The more you use it the more blunt it gets - you need to take time off to sharpen your saw'.

That's what we all need to do take time off, sharpen our saw, in other words rest and recuperate - come back to the task afresh with sharpened enthusiasm and energy. Are we any good at this- I know I have to remind myself of this on occasion.

Best wishes for a sharpening kind of dayflowers.

Thistledoo Sun 14-Sep-14 10:53:09

Good advice Sue, hope Thatbags is reading your post, she needs to take time to sharpen her saw. Read deforestation of Scotland thread. wink

Nelliemoser Sun 14-Sep-14 19:26:11

That sounds like me. Working with a blunt saw.

Ana Sun 14-Sep-14 19:27:17

Do chainsaws go blunt? confused

whitewave Sun 14-Sep-14 19:40:34

I had a friend who described that as slack knicker elastic. You stretch and stretch yourself until it won't hold anything up and then twang! disaster.

absent Sun 14-Sep-14 19:49:40

I don't know how you sharpen a saw but I shouldn't have thought it's a particularly restful activity. Making sure your tools - literal or metaphorical ones - are in good condition is, however, good advice.

Penstemmon Sun 14-Sep-14 20:08:40

R&R, work/home life balance, all work & no play etc etc!

It is very important to re-charge batteries.

I also think there are people who equate 'being stressed at work' as false proof that they are a valuable asset to their particular work place! On a staff team that I managed there wee those who were in work early and there v.late and always looking flustered, missing deadlines and sighing if asked to do something but they did not produce any better outcomes than other staff who spent less time on work activities!!

rubylady Sun 14-Sep-14 20:31:33

I sharpened my saw last weekend. I turned off my phone, didn't come on here much, put my feet up and watched some tele with my doggie. I had had a stressful week trying to get a house move underway and was getting nowhere so took some time out to let my brain recover.

Done that a bit today too, apart from a quick shop for Trill and cold remedies for my son. After all, isn't that what Sundays are supposed to be about? grin

suebailey1 Mon 15-Sep-14 08:25:15

Absolutely ruby I did something similar- doing a bit more today by going to see The Hundred Foot Journey at 11am - funny time for the cinema but should get a good seat- tea and scone in JL after. have a lovely saw sharpening day all.

Nonnie Mon 15-Sep-14 09:16:16

I didn't learn that until after a major illness followed by enforced retirement. I was there for everyone, at home and at work, family and colleagues, the totally dependable and trusted one. Still am for family who do appreciate it but don't think anyone at work did until I was gone.

I think of the saying about no one ever saying on their deathbed that they wished they had spent more time at work.

Another interesting book "Depression the Curse of the Strong" by Dr Tim Cantopher. It is those who keep going no matter what and are thought to e strong who get genuine clinical depression. The weaker ones may well feel depressed which is not at all the same thing.

glammanana Mon 15-Sep-14 09:40:02

You can only fit in so much into 24hrs and it catches up with you very quickly and soon fatigue sets in and mistakes happen,I make sure now that I take the time to do things in moderation and when my list gets a bit too long I switch off and recharge the old batteries,these past couple of months I have refused bookings for my business and kept to 2 booking per week maximum and I feel so much better and know I can give 100% all the time instead of chasing after myself all the time to keep everyone happy.

etheltbags1 Mon 15-Sep-14 10:40:42

I like nothing better than curling up with my book but I must admit I feel guilty.

rubylady Tue 16-Sep-14 00:49:23

ethel Please don't feel guilty for taking some time out for yourself. What would happen if you ran yourself into the ground? No-one would benefit then, so put your feet up, get a brew and enjoy your book for a while. Let others get on with their own thing and relax a bit.

I've been told today that we have a new house to move into which is extremely exciting and I can't wait to get going. But, even though I want to get everything packed/thrown out/charity shopped, I will have to have the odd day sharpening my saw or else I will have burn out before the big day. Enforced rest is awful when the mind is working away at what should be being done but I have some Touch of Frost taped so I will take time out and watch some with my doggie, having cuddles inbetween the cardboard boxes. grin