Gransnet forums

Chat

Soop's Kitcheners...

(1000 Posts)
soop Mon 15-Sep-14 15:45:27

Hello and a warm welcome to you lovely lot. I'm about to brew a fresh pot of tea and there are plenty of goodies for us to munch on...grin

annodomini Mon 15-Sep-14 15:59:11

Hello soop. Another kitchen extension? I'll have a nice brew thanks and my sweet tooth is urging me in the direction of cake. I must do some baking and bring some of my famous ginger shortbread tomorrow. Promise!
Bellasnana, you have had just about as much as you can take, haven't you? I hope you manage to compromise and see your sister. flowers

suebailey1 Mon 15-Sep-14 16:01:03

Oh good hello- can I have some tea and something savoury- any cheese scones going. My only news is that eldest GD has got engaged and is planning a wedding for August 2016 so plenty of time for a diet later. Its a very very nice restaurant/hotel in Dedham Essex so it will be lovely - a small family do and a party at another (cheaper) hotel in the evening for friends etc. My eldest DD is nagging her to have a baby straight away but I don't fancy being a great nan yet. She is a very pretty girl but sadly in my view has a few tattoos- I hope the dress covers them up.

Galen Mon 15-Sep-14 16:01:22

Coffee for me please.
Wow, doesn't this place look clean, bright and welcoming!
I see thatdratted lovely cat is hogging reclining on the comfiest chair as usual. Didn't take him long to organise himself hmm

soop Mon 15-Sep-14 16:03:39

Hello dear anno Come on in and make yourself comfortable. Everything is positively "ship-shape"...not a stray crumb to be found lurking between the cushions. I feel totally saddened that Bella's much looked forward to visit has had to be cancelled. She has been through such a lot of heartache and still there is no peace of mind for her.

soop Mon 15-Sep-14 16:10:18

Hello suebailey1 Such good news. Our granddaughter is to be married at the end of May. We two must have a chat about outfits. I'm delighted for you. Our granddaughter is also to have her ceremony in a small hotel/golf club. We must try to get in shape together. In the meantime...cupcake and a glass of vino vintage Champagne.
Galen ...let me just shift Rory for you. There you are, I've given you the chair with a view of the sea. Coffee on it's way...grin

rosesarered Mon 15-Sep-14 16:43:04

Soop, there are no crumbs because Angus [virtual sheepdog] has hoovered them all up in his mouth.He sleeps under the farmhouse style table for most of the day,but does a good job of cleaning up the floor, and when you are not looking , a long pink tongue curls upwards onto the table edge and cleans up there too! Not very hygenic I know, but it does keep the place looking ship-shape.
I can't stay.... busy busy etc. but here is my contribution to the snacks,
a large lemon drizzle cake with buttercream, made just this morning.I will leave it in the middle of the table for you all to help yourselves [and out of Angus and Rory's reach.]

soop Mon 15-Sep-14 16:51:32

rosesarered Now let me think for a moment...do I like lemon drizzle cake with buttercream hmm...tell you what, I'll have a wee slice enormous wedge for a starter. Yep! I've made up my mind. I shall have a second slice, just to be sociable. wink And please, don't hesitate to keep the treats coming. I've worked hard today. Now faint from lack of nourishment.

ffinnochio Mon 15-Sep-14 17:00:46

Lovely to see the new kitchen so busy already. smile

Here the farmers sow wildflower seeds mixed with Cosmos in some of their set-aside fields, and as I'm lucky enough to live in a commune that has one, I'm allowed to go and pick to my hearts content. So for the table today a big bunch of tall delicate cosmos.

Bella Such a disappointment for you. I really do hope you can find a way of visiting your sister for a couple of days at least. x

Lona Mon 15-Sep-14 17:02:26

soop I think you must have some Irish in you! For someone who was "Autumn cleaning", you've spent a lot of time in this kitchen blethering !! grin
I'm sure your 'wee hoos' was spotless anyway smile so sit down and put your feet up, and I'll make more tea to go with all the cake!
I thought scones, warm from the oven, with lots of fresh cream and homemade strawberry jam, would help you to recover! wink

soop Mon 15-Sep-14 17:51:09

Lona grin As a matter of fact a member of our family made the point that, long ago, in the mists of time, a Great great great grandma was an Irish gypsy who smoked a clay pipe and challenged fellas to boxing matches in a low-down pub [for beer money!] Now I'm not suggesting that the family member was talking porkies but really, you lot who know me well...can you put me in that category? Only those who have good things to say will be listened to. wink

ffinnochio Wild flowers are perfect. We visited a town on the east coast of Scotland, where a whole area, not too distant from the shops, had been dedicated to the inhabitants for the sowing of a wild flower meadow. It was stunning. I've photographs somewhere. Apparently the town had had a history of teen drug abuse. It was the same teens who helped to transform the appearance of the locality, which went on to win numerous awards. sunshine

soop Mon 15-Sep-14 17:53:25

At this point I shall say farewell. Tomorrow afternoon, after ironing duties, I shall look in to say hello and catch up with all the latest news. x moon

kittylester Mon 15-Sep-14 18:00:07

Hi everyone! I do like this kitchen. wine

Bella, please go and see your sister - your DH will be in safe hands with your DD and DGD. My friend had a phone call saying her sister in Canada was very poorly and got there just in time. She said it was so precious to say goodbye properly. sad

Sue - you are nothing like old enough to be a GG! Tell them not to be so ridiculous! sunshine

We've had an interesting few days and I fully expect our family (or at least the Idiot's) to feature on Jeremy Kyle in the near future. blush Just don't tell my mother!

Going for a lie down now, on the chaise, if that's ok, and if someone could keep me supplied with cupcake until I fall asleep, that would be brilliant.

Soutra Mon 15-Sep-14 18:29:44

Was there an official cake ribbon cutting ceremony when the latest kitchen was opened. Di soop say (in a high voice) "My husband and I have much pleesure in declaring this kitchen OPEN., God bless her and all who scoff cake sail in her" ?
No?
Some sad stories at the moment - I am with the others Bellasnana in saying that your DD's visit is fortuitous in that your DH would be in safe hands for just a few days while you visit your sister. Of course I have no idea how far away she lives and it might not be as easy as all that, but good luck with whatever you decide. It is hard to be torn in different directions.
Like the decor soop and the coffee and cakes are every bit as good as in the old one!

Crafting Mon 15-Sep-14 20:50:40

I'm begining to feel like an old hand at this now. My second "new kitchen" grin. What a welcoming place to be. I've popped to the shops for a bottle or two to celebrate with so wine cheers everyone. Oh and some cupcake too - don't worry I didn't make it grin.

Bella you seem to have so much to cope with. I do hope you get to see your sister some how flowers and (( hugs)).

rosesarered I'm so glad you've seen Angus, I thought he might have got lost in the move.

suebailey1 here you are, cheese scones for you. About the only thing I can make with any success grin. Hope you enjoy them.

mcem Mon 15-Sep-14 21:11:17

Congratulations on the new extension and also on the family engagements. May I offer some more fizz as we're celebrating my son's engagement - precisely a month after his sister's civil partnership took place. Wedding is planned for May 2016.
I'm attending 2 weddings in October and another in December so some recycling and reorganising of outfits called for!

Icyalittle Mon 15-Sep-14 21:54:38

I thought I heard a cork pop? Opening ceremony for your new extension soop I haven't come empty handed, I brought smoked salmon on homemade granary bread - shall I add my platter to the table? mcem's fizz sounds perfect, along with Craftings. Love to everyone.

Nelliemoser Mon 15-Sep-14 22:06:06

I have now discovered the slight difference with this new thread title. It has the apostrophe in Soop's.

grin
Can't stay, I need an early night I am off to see DGS tomorrow.

Charleygirl Mon 15-Sep-14 22:45:22

Bella I really feel for you because you are between the devil and the deep blue sea, not knowing which way to turn. I agree with others, if at all possible take a flight to see her. If you don't, it is something that you may regret. Between his trips to hospital and being looked after at home by your DD, I am sure that DH will be fine for a few days. Where does your sister live?

mcem great excitement in your life at present, your daughter is now settled and your son is engaged. Also more weddings to look forward to next month.

icyalittle smoked salmon on homemade granary bread, yummy. I will be there first and there will not be a crumb left. I may offer Rory a piece of smoked salmon.

soop please put the feet up when you return home having done the pile of ironing. I am happy to clean your kitchen for you- mine is sparkling but please do not open a cupboard- I cannot be responsible for what falls on your head! Tara has popped by to say goodnight, she is exhausted having just finished her supper.

suebailey1 Tue 16-Sep-14 10:19:46

thank you kitty as I was a very naughty teenager (well it was the 60s) and had a baby by a DJ (no that that one) at 16 and then that little miss followed suit but with a professional golfer (who left her and went off with a rich American when on tour but not until he had given her 2 more babies)I have very large grandchildren eldest GS is 27 so despite me being a mere spring chicken at 61 yes they could make me a GGM!!!

soop I think your wedding is 2015 isn't it so hers the plan you tell me all the tricks- it will be my first wedding in role as Grandmother of the Bride- not sure whether to go as mad old hippy GS - she loves to think of me like that or elegant and sophisticated ala Helen Mirren. I also need to think about what my contribution to the event might be - I was considering buying the cake - what do you think is that enough? plus pressie of course.

suebailey1 Tue 16-Sep-14 10:20:08

I meant mad old hippy GM!

Gagagran Tue 16-Sep-14 10:35:07

Greetings all - isn't this new extension splendid?

I am feeling musical so am about to have half an hour on Soop's "joanna" with some Scottish folk songs and airs to add to the ambience. Wouldn't mind a coffee next time someone makes a fresh pot though!

soop Tue 16-Sep-14 14:53:47

How can anyone not enjoy the camaraderie of our kitchen...^you lot^ are the cherry on the cake, the bubble in the Champagne, the loveliest of Granspals. I pop in hoping that someone may have dropped in for a wee while...and, hey presto, I am grinning from ear to ear.

Gaga Coffee for you, my dear. Let's us hear some good Scottish tunes. I was listening to Gordon Brown speaking on behalf of No voters this morning. He passionate and eloquent. A good man, who truly loves this wonderful nation.

Ironing over and done with. Now I'm enjoying a pot of coffee and an oily fish sandwich and crispy Pink Lady apple.

My new wee camera has just been delivered. I decided that the fancy iPhone was a tad too sophisticated for my requirements. Have exchanged it for Kodak Easy Share digital camera. It will fit neatly into my purse and I shall take family photos with it when away, which I shall share with you on my return.

soop Tue 16-Sep-14 15:04:57

Suebailey1 flowers I like your honesty. As for the wedding outfit, I believe that I have it in readiness for the occasion. Should I make a positive decision, I shall send you a snapshot. Not 100% certain yet.

Charleygirl kitty Nellie mcem Icyalittle Crafting kitty andSoutra There is no need to tidy our kitchen. It is self cleaning. When you visit, you do so in order to relax, unwind and be made a fuss of.

About to read the camera blurb. Not something I enjoy, but someone has to do it...wink I shall return a little later.

Galen Tue 16-Sep-14 15:50:02

What reading instructions!shock
That's something to do only when all else fails.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion