Gransnet forums

Chat

Tempur mattress problem

(24 Posts)
nanapug Tue 16-Sep-14 18:55:26

Does any one who has a Tempur mattress have an issue with it smelling "beddy"? We have had ours for about 18 months and I am aware of a nasty stale bed smell and the only thing I can think is that it is the mattress. I change the under sheet and bedding regularly but the smell is still there. I struggle with the fact that you don't turn it and wonder if that is the reason. Has any one else noticed this problem please? I am really struggling with it sad

NfkDumpling Tue 16-Sep-14 19:47:19

No sorry, just went upstairs to check! We've had ours about 12 years and I've a good sense of smell and there's no niff. I do use a very thin mattress cover too (which we were told was unnecessary). I agree it doesn't seem right not turning a mattress, but I think it would be impossible! We have turned it around top to toe - but not very often, we're not that strong!

whitewave Tue 16-Sep-14 19:53:14

My DH and I have single beds as we couldn't agree which type of mattress we would like (also we get a better night's sleep). He has a tempur and we leave his bed thrown back and unmade every day by an open window as he finds it a bit sweaty. (I don't like to say I told you so!)

whenim64 Tue 16-Sep-14 19:54:03

No problem with mine, either. I've had it a long time - about nine years.

nanapug Tue 16-Sep-14 19:55:27

Yes, we don't make the bed and leave it and the window open. Oh dear, wish I could get to the bottom of it sad

whitewave Tue 16-Sep-14 19:58:25

But what I didn't say is that there is no smell. Is there a guarantee? Could you contact the manufacturers to ask?

kittylester Tue 16-Sep-14 20:35:50

We've had our Tempur for 13 years and i make it every morning. We get the quilt washed at the laundrette three or four times a year. I think I've washed the zip cover twice when the cat has thrown up on it! I don't think it smells!

tiggypiro Tue 16-Sep-14 22:01:04

I have had my Tempur for quite a few years now and do not detect any smell. I have huge respect for you kittylester being able to remove and put back on the zip cover not once but TWICE ! How on earth did you manage it ?

NfkDumpling Wed 17-Sep-14 06:27:33

Oh, thank goodness I'm not a slob - I have washed the zip cover - but only once. I suppose I should do it again before we get completely decrepit!

kittylester Wed 17-Sep-14 06:38:16

With great difficulty tiggy, but only because the cat was sick on it! I doubt I'd have thought of it otherwise. DH came in handy as I remember grin

Nelliemoser Wed 17-Sep-14 07:38:04

Different people tend to perspire more than others with different degrees of smell.
I am not being rude here just making the point it could be due to the body chemistry of the individuals using the mattress.

I am sure airing the bed really well in the mornings before remaking it should help

kittylester Wed 17-Sep-14 08:50:57

Actually, taking the cover off wasn't that difficult - the worst part doing it on one's own would be getting the bottom bit under the mattress which could probably be done by doing one side at a time but repeatedly IYSWIM! We didn't take the mattress off at any stage!

suebailey1 Wed 17-Sep-14 09:00:32

Our is fine too- have you tried ringing the manufacturer?

glammanana Wed 17-Sep-14 09:44:03

No smell from ours and we have had it for over 5 years now,I do leave it thrown back when we first get up in the morning just for a couple of hours,I always use 100% cotton sheets and not a cotton/poly mix same with quilt covers. I too would ring the manufacturer and ask their advice.

nanapug Wed 17-Sep-14 10:16:30

Thank you for your advice ladies, we are very careful about personal hygiene and clean cotton sheets and airing it every day so perhaps I will ring the manufacturer to chat to them

Soutra Wed 17-Sep-14 12:18:05

Just a thought- I find I have become more sensitive to smell as I have got older rather like you do in pregnancy. It might not be what you think.

granjura Wed 17-Sep-14 20:08:00

I would definitely enrol help to take the cover off and get it washed (as said by Kitty, a trip to the launderette needed) and dried really well- hopefully in the sunshine, first.

granjura Wed 17-Sep-14 20:10:05

And then get a cotton topper which can be washed regularly- in case it is a perspiration problem. I hate to mention this, but could one of you suffer from minor urine incontinence at night only (sorry for this- trying to think of all possibilities). We had this problem with my mother- and it was very difficult to broach and deal with.

Coolgran65 Wed 17-Sep-14 21:06:16

My tempura is about 6 years old, we've no problems with it. Always used a mattress cover that is washed on alternate bed changes.

However, the memory foam topper on the guest bed still has a very faint chemical whiff even after 4 years. And no one can smell it but me.

nanapug Thu 18-Sep-14 10:33:15

No night time piddling (!!) and we do use a cotton topper which we change every time we change the sheets. I agree about the sense of smell getting more acute as you get older. Oh well, will just have to keep trying to think of things but thanks for your suggestions x

nanapug Tue 23-Sep-14 14:53:15

Woo hoo, I have got to the bottom of it (no pun intended ;)). It isn't the mattress it is the carpet. How did I find out I hear you say (well you might do). I bought a posh new Dyson and have gone mad with it, hoovering every day for a few days because I love seeing just what it picks up, and lo and behold, no more "beddy" smell. I blame the dog as she loves to sleep on the floor in the day time and sheds loads of fur. I was aware that the old hoover was not working very well but it clearly wasn't doing much at all. Thank you all for your helpful suggestions xx

NfkDumpling Tue 23-Sep-14 15:55:54

Brilliant! I can stop sniffing the bed just in case I hadn't noticed!

granjura Tue 23-Sep-14 16:36:48

Great news- enjoy smile

Flowerofthewest Tue 23-Sep-14 23:28:03

I think they do tend to soak up the sweat in the night. Only because I remember my children having foam inners to their cot mattresses (the ones with the 'safety' holes in) they did become mouldy and had to be chucked after a while.. Must sniff my bed topper when I retire. Really looking forward to that one. Thanks.