Gransnet forums

Chat

Mental Mind Set

(9 Posts)
NanKate Tue 16-Sep-14 21:33:55

I was speaking today to a lovely 92 year old from my Keep Fit Class.

As well as attending the Class each week, she also brings her cozzie along and goes swimming afterwards.

I saw her sitting on a bench this morning and asked if she was resting after a walk 'Oh no, just waiting for a lift. I help out at Riding for the Disabled, I have been doing this for 25 years'.

Another time I saw her with a small dog. 'I am just walking him for a friend' she said.

What a wonderful example to us all. Do you think it is all about having a positive mental attitude and good health of course ?

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 16-Sep-14 21:38:28

I expect it's down to a lot of things. No one can ever really "walk a mile" in someone else's shoes.

NanKate Tue 16-Sep-14 21:40:55

I just wish I had her energy Jing and I am only 67 (for another 11 days) hmm

Deedaa Tue 16-Sep-14 23:32:40

An elderly lady (sorry everyone but I was only 40 something at the time) was looking round an exhibition I was helping at. She was walking with a stick and I thought she was probably around 70. We were chatting about this and that and she complained about how difficult it had been getting around with her broken ankle, saying "I find I just don't heal so quickly now I'm 93" !!!

rubylady Tue 16-Sep-14 23:43:23

Did anyone else see the 100 year old on Gardeners's World this week? She was really inspirational, potting up her cuttings and tending to her garden. Probably the old mind's eye image of a centenarian is of sitting in a Parker Knoll with a blanket around her knees, sipping soup. That is not the case these days as many are still active and involved in many hobbies and good on 'em. smile

NanKate Wed 17-Sep-14 07:29:22

I will try and see if I can find Gardeners' World on the telly to see the 100 year old Ruby

It seems to me these older people keep an interest in life and doing things.

suebailey1 Wed 17-Sep-14 09:06:31

MY MIL is 101 in December and although not skipping about she knits and sews but her main interest is politics especially laying the blame for all worlds ills at Tony Blair. She has no disease processes at all apart from being deaf and stubborn

I do think positive mental attitude is important but so is being blessed with good genes and good health. My mother was crippled by the time she was 50 with RA and dead at 74 but she did 'enjoy' ill health.

Keep on keeping on with whatever you can I think.

FlicketyB Wed 17-Sep-14 10:24:56

A friend of mine has this week celebrated her 100th birthday with a round of parties and events, including a long chat with Prince William the day he visited Oxford alone as the Duchess of Cambridge had morning sickness. She lives independently, with carers coming in to help her get up and go to bed because she has broken both hips in recent years and we are both on the local CPRE committee, where she is an active and involved member.

I have come to the conclusion that the art of aging well is good health - and that lies in our genes, our lives and luck - and undoubtedly an active and positive mind - and even that is partly genetic

Nonnie Wed 17-Sep-14 11:20:18

I think a positive attitude makes all the difference. Not many of us age without having something physically wrong but it depends how we cope with it mentally which makes all the difference and it doesn't start when we are old. About 30 years ago my gall bladder was removed and after a couple of weeks I was doing everything I had done before, including lifting my 2 year old. A relative had the same op just before me and was told by her doctor not to lift anything and not to vacuum for 6 months! Funny that, mine told me I could do whatever I felt like. Definitely all down to attitude.

Think of the recent programme about 100 year old drivers. Whatever you might think about them they had a positive attitude. Then there is Gillian Lynne.