Gransnet forums

Chat

Leopard skin draped coffin!

(40 Posts)
kittylester Fri 19-Sep-14 10:39:18

I just let a hearse out of the undertaker's in town and saw the coffin was draped in lush leopard skin and covered in masses of flowers. It was led by a solemn man in all the gear. I'd love to know who it was and wished I had time to follow it. I bet she was fun and will be badly missed! I imagine it was a female!

janerowena Fri 19-Sep-14 11:00:37

I immediately thought of Joan Collins!

thatbags Fri 19-Sep-14 11:16:08

When you say "leopard skin", you don't mean real leopard skin, do you? shock

annodomini Fri 19-Sep-14 11:16:27

I'd think of Bet Lynch! Hope it wasn't a real leopard.

annodomini Fri 19-Sep-14 11:17:05

Great minds, Bags!

rubysong Fri 19-Sep-14 11:21:27

It could have been an African chief.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 19-Sep-14 11:22:22

Oh yes! There's thinking outside the box for you!

rubysong Fri 19-Sep-14 11:36:39

Good one jings grin

rubysong Fri 19-Sep-14 11:41:30

Anyway RIP to whoever it is. It looks as if they planned their funeral and those left behind have honoured their wishes.
Have any of you planned your funerals? (Hopefully not to be needed for a long time.) I understand it is a great help to families at a difficult time.I have chosen my hymns and I'm on the lookout for readings to put in my 'funeral planning box'.

kittylester Fri 19-Sep-14 11:49:23

Not real - neither dead nor alive!! grin

felice Fri 19-Sep-14 12:06:35

Sounds great, would Xhusband skin be a step too far.?????????????

annodomini Fri 19-Sep-14 12:24:41

felice grin

kittylester Fri 19-Sep-14 13:49:51

I think I might have been hallucinating as I've also just seen a snow plough! confused I think I'm over tired! grin

felice - no, I think that would be ok. grin

annodomini Fri 19-Sep-14 14:16:06

A snow plough? Now let's see who comes up with the most interesting/outrageous explanation got that. grin

sparkygran Fri 19-Sep-14 16:35:31

I would like a wicker coffin but so far haven`t done anything about it but have made my Will. Funerals are horrendously expensive nowadays I was involved in arranging one last year and was amazed at the cost of what was a very ordinary funeral. I`m guessing my wicker coffin will cost an arm and a leg. Back to the wine

rubysong Fri 19-Sep-14 16:50:08

I believe wicker coffins are more expensive. I was at a funeral where one was and there was a strange creaking noise as it was carried in.
We've just redone our wills, everyone should make a will. Some people seem to be afraid of doing it, as if it will hasten the end. We made ours in 1974, as soon as we owned a house, and we are still around.

rubysong Fri 19-Sep-14 16:52:43

anno and kitty maybe the snow plough has an attachment for gathering up leaves. If so, we could do with it here as we have already started the leaf sweeping and will still be doing it at Christmas.

FarNorth Fri 19-Sep-14 16:55:46

In my experience, wicker coffins cost less and there was no creaking.

hildajenniJ Fri 19-Sep-14 17:06:38

I don't mind what sort of coffin they use as I want to be cremated and my ashes scattered on flowing water. I went to a woodland burial once and the gentleman had a cardboard coffin which biodegrades at about the same rate as the body. We made our wills ages ago too, and we're still alive and kicking.

annodomini Fri 19-Sep-14 17:38:10

A cardboard coffin and a woodland burial. I want my nephew to play the Last Post on his trumpet, though I haven't told him that yet.

whitewave Fri 19-Sep-14 17:40:40

That's what I want anno minus the last post!!

apricot Fri 19-Sep-14 19:26:33

I want a wicker coffin too. I've written down everything I want, from dying to the Rondo from Beethoven's Violin Concerto to burial among my ancestors, and I've threatened to come back to haunt them if they don't do it right.
The WI does residential courses where you can weave your own coffin, but where would you store it? Propped up in the chimney corner?

Galen Fri 19-Sep-14 20:30:15

Cardboard, cremated, and ashes scattered in Lyme bay

annodomini Fri 19-Sep-14 21:13:10

I think a wicker coffin could make a good decorative feature, if you have enough space in your conservatory.

Maniac Fri 19-Sep-14 21:19:35

Read somewhere that you can't have cremation with a cardboard
coffin -also that most wicker coffins are now imported from China.
I've just received the information package from Bristol Uni re donating my body for research.
My family can do whatever they like (or nothing) to mark my passing.