Gransnet forums

Chat

Dodgy websites

(10 Posts)
Nonnie Mon 22-Sep-14 11:01:57

I expect there are lots of ways of avoiding such sites but it is hard when you are searching for the best price of something to be sure a site is safe.

DS who is very savvy just looked at one and said "Everything looked real. Contact form, secure payment etc. Proper ads on google." but it wasn't. He suggested that if we are not entirely sure we look at:

www.scamadviser.com/ .

I hope this helps someone to avoid being scammed.

ninathenana Mon 22-Sep-14 11:06:59

Thanks Nonnie I will remember that.
I have paid extra for something in the past by using the wrong website.

NanKate Mon 22-Sep-14 11:47:35

Also if you aren't careful you can accidentally click onto a dodgy site without realising it.

I got a whole load of erect willies - no kidding !!!! After a while I managed to convince DH that it was a slip of the finger. grin

Liz46 Mon 22-Sep-14 12:29:50

Many years ago my daughter had been telling us about a webcam which was showing animals in Africa. In our innocence (computers were new to us at the time) we googled 'Wildlife in Africa'. It was a good job that we were sitting together when we did it or one of us would have had to make a difficult explanation.

grannyactivist Mon 22-Sep-14 12:41:34

Okay - hands up if you Googled 'Wildlife in Africa'! grin

Stansgran Mon 22-Sep-14 13:20:09

My tripadvisor email alert telling me of cheap flights has suddenly started up in Cyrillic . Anyone know why? I'm a bit worried and their help is no help.

ninathenana Mon 22-Sep-14 16:44:54

grin grin ga

No I didn't........... I have a vivid imagination!!

rubylady Tue 23-Sep-14 03:33:44

I just google it and got lions????

NanKate Tue 23-Sep-14 07:09:49

Stansgran as you have had no response to your question about the font on Tripadvisor I would repost your question on the forum Techy Stuff and you should get some help.

Notso Tue 23-Sep-14 08:20:22

For live webcam pictures of African wildlife, Google Pete's Pond and it will take you to the Wild Earth site. I just checked...looks like gazelles drinking there at the moment.