Gransnet forums

Chat

Oops !

(24 Posts)
NanKate Tue 23-Sep-14 08:06:58

Recently we were in charge of the 2 grandsons whilst our DinL was away for the weekend. I offered to cook and bring along spag Bol as I knew the boys liked it. My DinL said she would provide the pasta as the little one has an egg allergy.

I found that DinL had kindly left out the pasta for me in a plastic box. I duly cooked it and the boys ate the lot. On her return I thanked her for putting the pasta ready instead of me searching through her cupboards.

'oh dear' she said 'that was the children's play pasta which they play with on the kitchen floor' ! It was at least a year old.

Fortunately DinL saw the funny side of it and the boys still love their Nan's pasta. smile

vampirequeen Tue 23-Sep-14 08:48:55

grin

Nelliemoser Tue 23-Sep-14 09:04:59

nankate grin Well you have to boil pasta It shouldn't be a problem. A few well boiled hairs and dust won't harm anyone. Its good your Dil was able to see the funny side.
Some mums these days would be horrified. .

ninathenana Tue 23-Sep-14 09:18:42

grin grin love it !

Ariadne Tue 23-Sep-14 09:20:55

grin

Nonnie Tue 23-Sep-14 09:35:09

That is funny. I was brought up to believe a little dirt wouldn't hurt you but these days some mothers seem to be obsessed with everything being sterile. You are lucky to have such a nice DiL.

NanKate Tue 23-Sep-14 11:41:10

Yes I am Nonnie. I only have one son so I was determined to get on with whoever he married. Fortunately DinL and I have a similar sense of humour.

However she did put me right recently when I called someone a tosser not realising it was a rude word. hmm What an innocent I am.

tiggypiro Tue 23-Sep-14 11:50:16

I think we need a list of words which are now considered rude or maybe we all need new dictionaries on our C****** list !

Iam64 Tue 23-Sep-14 13:32:26

fabulous example of family life NanKate, and great that your daughter in law found it funny. grin

NfkDumpling Tue 23-Sep-14 13:38:40

Oh golly gosh - I just looked up t****r on the Wikipedia list of British slang!

feetlebaum Tue 23-Sep-14 13:54:25

If you didn't realise it was a 'rude word' - why did you call someone one?
There's not much point calling someone an inoffensive word, is there?

Penstemmon Tue 23-Sep-14 14:07:56

Haha! When I was a deputy in a school the head was doing a Shrove Tuesday assembly. She prepared the pancakes and heated it in the mobile cooker and then uttered, just as she was about to flip the pancake, 'Look out everyone, I am not a very good tosser' All us staff fell about! Good job the kids were all under seven! I had to explain to her whey everyone had laughed. confused

rubylady Tue 23-Sep-14 14:57:48

NanKate At least she told you it was an offensive word before you embarrassed yourself in front of someone you wouldn't want to be embarrassed in front of. smile

POGS Tue 23-Sep-14 15:52:37

Nankate

What a sensible family.

Do you think they 'dare' go on a break again. grin

NanKate Tue 23-Sep-14 17:46:05

Feetle to answer your question I thought tosser meant 'layabout' hence that is why I used it.

Pogs they have already booked us for a long weekend whilst they have a few days to themselves since youngest GS was born. I just hope they don't add a third to the family that weekend hmm as we can only just about deal with two very noisy active GSs, who we love to bits.

Yes Ruby my DinL has taught me quite a lot. She has mellowed my thoughts about gays because of introducing me to some of her gay friends and one in particular who has adopted a young girl and has given her a wonderful life, which I would have been quite stuffy about in the past, but I see what a lovely Mum she is and how happy the young girl is.

In fact my DinL has told me she will take me to see the Ladyboys of Bangkok when they are in Brighton next, she tells me lots of pensioners enjoy the show. I still find it hard to accept a gay marriage in church, but I have moved a great deal in my views over the last few years. Having seen how badly the gays were treated when seeing the film 'Pride' I have become more open minded.

I seem to have veered off the subject quite a bit don't I ?

annodomini Tue 23-Sep-14 17:55:36

You might have been thinking of 'dosser', *NanaKate'. Your DiL sounds a real treasure - as are mine!

Iam64 Tue 23-Sep-14 18:24:47

feel free to veer of the subject NanKate, and thanks for your positive post. I know a number of gay adopters,and can honestly say, with the exception of one couple, they have been a joy to know.

NanKate Tue 23-Sep-14 18:46:49

Thanks Anno you are right the word I wanted was Dosser.

I am glad to hear it Iam64

Deedaa Thu 25-Sep-14 21:04:41

The OP reminds me of Andre Previn's story of entertaining an important guest while he wasmarried to Mia Farrow. Trying to be the good host he gave the guest a nice bowl of muesli. He didn't find out till later that it was the children's hamster food grin

BlueBelle Fri 26-Sep-14 09:31:04

Ladyboys is a great show and if you didn't know they were lads you would never guess fabulous dancers with legs to die for
There's all sorts in the world and no one way is right its brilliant that you are big enough to be able to change your thoughts

Just to add to the out of date story My daughter had some tooth twinges the other week due to a chipped tooth anyway I lent her my bottle of clove oil which I swear by if I ever get any minor twinges well the next day it landed back with a 'please put this in your bin its 16 years old' and it was .....1998 on the little label ( didn't do me any harm haha)

Liz46 Fri 26-Sep-14 09:55:01

Sorry, still off subject but you have reminded me of an occasion when I was on holiday with my DH in Thailand. We were approached by a 'lady' in a pink tutu, platform shoes and a large adams apple.

My brave DH was taken by surprise, screamed, jumped in the air and dashed off down a side street babbling about getting a taxi (we were using the hotel's bus). I was left alone with the ladyboy who just wanted to give us a leaflet advertising the show. The next time it happened DH behaved better and off we went to give the show a chance. All the venues, restaurants etc. in the area were a bit basic and very 'open'. The place where the ladybirds were giving their show had blackened glass windows and looked very out of place in the surroundings. It was a case of who would chicken out first and I am sorry to admit that it was me.

Nelliemoser Fri 26-Sep-14 22:41:30

Bluebelle Flipping kids are so fussy these days.

A couple of weeks ago my DD complained that the packet of Custard Powder I asked her to get out of my cupboard was older that her nearly two yr old.

BlueBelle Sat 27-Sep-14 17:49:06

did you really mean 'ladybirds' Liz46

Stansgran Sun 28-Sep-14 09:36:16

Just yesterday used syrup from a tin 2006 to make delicious chewy oaty biscuits. The syrup had granulated a bit but we're not dead yet.