Gransnet forums

Chat

I am traumatised and embarrassed!

(59 Posts)
kittylester Thu 02-Oct-14 11:55:26

This morning, i went to our new, huge Sainsburys with DGS2,aged two and a half! Traumatising enough but, while I was packing at the till, I remarked to the cashier that my nylon shopping bags needed a wash as they were really smelly. As I shook the last one out to put the fruit and veg in, out fell a (dead) baby mouse! blush

MiniMouse Thu 02-Oct-14 12:06:09

Don't wish to spread panic, but where there's a baby mouse there may be Mummy, Daddy and siblings!!! Better check where you store your bags! Good luck grin

ninathenana Thu 02-Oct-14 13:02:28

kitty I couldn't help laughing, but if it had been me #groundswallowmeup
grin

Ana Thu 02-Oct-14 13:06:28

Oh, kitty, how mortifying!

Still, I bet you made the checkout operator's day - he/she'll be able to dine out on that for months...grin

Ana Thu 02-Oct-14 13:07:08

(not literally, of course! shock)

Soutra Thu 02-Oct-14 13:38:39

Maybe a light snack, grilled on toast though? grin

Out of interest what did DGS say?

Anya Thu 02-Oct-14 13:44:20

Sorry kitty I knkw you were traumatised but I can't stop laughing!! grin

MiceElf Thu 02-Oct-14 13:46:07

Of course you blamed it on the cat and her inventive way of delivering gifts.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 02-Oct-14 13:48:43

Did someone come with rubber gloves and a spray disinfectant? shock grin

blush (on your behalf)

kittylester Thu 02-Oct-14 13:56:21

They shut the till down and disinfected the belt, the packing area and then moved the people behind me to another till! I felt as though I should go to the car ringing a bell and saying 'Unclean'! blush.

Seriously, Sainsburys staff were brilliant. It all went over Berties head as he was watching the cars in the car park.

granjura Thu 02-Oct-14 14:09:34

Thank goodness you were not at ...

Waitrose ...

Now THAT would have been embarrassing ;) lol

janerowena Thu 02-Oct-14 14:11:08

I really feel for you, let's face it, it could have been any of us, the little blighters are everywhere, especially at this time of year!

Next door's cat leaves a weekly supply of them on my front doormat, such a lovely greeting for visitors, if that's any consolation. I doubt it though. grin

janerowena Thu 02-Oct-14 14:11:56

PS a friend of mine found one in her underwear drawer last week! Complete with nest!

Tegan Thu 02-Oct-14 14:52:55

Not quite the same thing but reminded me of a clip they showed recently of the late, great Joan Rivers where she said how invisible women are post menopause so she would open her bag and out would drop a tampon. Of course, instead of blushing and covering it up [we've all been there ladies, haven't we?] she would make a big thing about it being hers. My other big embarrassment has been the 'yesterdays knickers dropping out of the leg of my jeans as I walk down the street' situation. I'd like to think that has happened only once but I never did learn my lesson about that blush.

janerowena Thu 02-Oct-14 14:57:45

Ah.. Ok, I'll share mine - my bikini (wet-look and very heavy, if you remember that stuff) fell off when I emerged from a swimming pool on a Club Med holiday as a young teen. Bottoms fell down, as I leaned forward to pull them up, the top opened itself!

Deafening silence from poolside bar, all chatting ceased and then a voice came 'Ah! La petite Anglaise, elle est vraiment blonde!'

(She really is a blonde) blush

HildaW Thu 02-Oct-14 15:10:14

Actually janerowena....that sounds like a compliment to me...I've never been petite or naturally blonde!

Starling Thu 02-Oct-14 15:24:32

A mouse skeleton once appeared on our kitchen floor during a children's birthday party. I had done more thorough sweeping than usual and had probably gone under the units more with the broom, one of our cats had probably then found it and got it out into the open. I think I managed to dispose of it before any of the parents noticed......

Grannyknot Thu 02-Oct-14 15:26:13

I'm reading a very funny book (memoir) by a Sikh author who - determined to learn English as a child - instead of handing in the piece of wrapping his mum had given him when she sent him shopping - saying to just hand it to the lady behind the counter and she would know what was needed - proudly read out what was printed on the packet instead and announced to the whole shop in his best English ".. . and some santry towels, please!" His phonetic spelling (pronunciation) not mine.

Grannyknot Thu 02-Oct-14 15:27:45

.. . I meant to say "eek" for the dead mouse shock

POGS Thu 02-Oct-14 15:54:11

Kitty

You should be ashamed of yourself. grin

Teetime Thu 02-Oct-14 15:57:10

How funny - sorry shouldn't laugh - its the thought if the Sainsbury staff going into a disinfectant melt down. did they give it back to you? smile

kittylester Thu 02-Oct-14 16:16:34

Our cat is a brilliant/awful mouser. We once found DGD3 wandering around with a lovely smal,l grey, cuddly toy that we assumed she'd picked from behind the kitchen door! It was really funny watching DH and the cat trying to get the mouse off a screaming toddler! But none of them were as traumatised as I was!

Nelliemoser Thu 02-Oct-14 16:43:41

Kitty Oh dear! Will you go back there? Just blame the cat. grin

Eloethan Thu 02-Oct-14 16:58:44

It must have been embarrassing but, sorry Kitty, I had to laugh.

Lona Thu 02-Oct-14 17:10:14

kitty grin

janerowena How often did your friend change her undies then? Not often if a mouse had time to build a nest! shock