Gransnet forums

Chat

Roadside people

(125 Posts)
Elegran Thu 16-Oct-14 09:14:55

I while away car journeys in the passenger seat by scanning the road signs and hoardings at the side of the road for possible characters in a mythical novel I may sometime never write.

Beside the A68 in the Scottish Borders are signs pointing to Gordon Greenlaw and Earlston St Boswells. They must be friends because their names appear together so often, but they sound so dissimilar that I feel there must be friction at times. I picture Gordon Greenlaw as a down-to-earth farmer, hard-working and dependable, stockily built and ruddy from outdoor work, while Earlston St Boswells is slim, dark and elegant, a scion of an aristocratic family. He has no need to work - plenty of family money - but dabbles a little on the stock market (unsuccessfully) He is a bit of a bounder where the ladies are concerned, love 'em and leave 'em is his way. There is always another to gaze adoringly into his hazel eyes over the glass of bubbly.

Then there is May Gurney, who seems to hang around road works. She seems a rural lass, and a little bit naive. She was probably engaged to Gordon, and all set for a contented, if rather boring, life as a farmer's wife, until she was seduced by Earlston. Alas! He moved on and left her with only a little hazel-eyed reminder of those exciting days of wine and roses.

Are there any roadside people down your way?

pompa Thu 16-Oct-14 09:34:20

What a wonderful imagination you have Elegran.

I just spend my time counting shoes - how come you see just one shoe on the road side ? We now rate a journey by shoe count rather than miles, a 3 shoe trip is about 50 miles.

Also another thing that fascinates me is the sign " Large PLant Crossing" I expect to see a 10 ton marrow on legs, but no it's just a boring old digger.

Then of course there is the mythical "Men at Work"

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 16-Oct-14 09:45:49

Write the novel Elegran. You culd be the next Maeve Binchy. #kchingg

Marmight Thu 16-Oct-14 09:53:07

Not roadside people, but my Mum passed the time by making up silly sayings from car registrations. Me, I look at the clouds and imagine people, houses, animals, countries.... from them although as I am the only driver now, I don't get much of a chance to cloud dream!

grumppa Thu 16-Oct-14 09:56:40

I think of a "large plant" as a mammoth triffid.

henetha Thu 16-Oct-14 09:57:23

As a member of the Cloud Appreciation Society, I spend a lot of time staring at the sky and trying to remember the type of clouds I'm seeing.

ffinnochio Thu 16-Oct-14 10:09:19

grin Lovely Elegran
Here in France we have Prudence who, as her name suggests, is frequently seen before road works, lanes merging and poor weather conditions, politely notifying drivers to take care with these forthcoming obstacles.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 16-Oct-14 10:39:30

Love the 'prudence' thing! grin

Elegran Thu 16-Oct-14 10:40:34

If Earlston visits your part of the world, perhaps Prudence will be more cautious than May.

Another thing - what a lot of girls have May as a second name - whenever I see a name like "Angela May" I want to add "Well, she may, but don't count on it!"

J52 Thu 16-Oct-14 11:39:54

Carrutherstown, on the A75, has always made me think of a First World War major, who has now retired there.

Often travelling along A roads and duel carriageways, I have noticed a lot of apple trees growing on the verges. I can only think that they have grown from did garden apple cores. Easy to spot at this time of year as the seem to have abundant fruit! X

J52 Thu 16-Oct-14 11:40:40

Sorry, autocorrect again! I meant discarded, of course! x

thatbags Thu 16-Oct-14 11:51:10

I always expect to see one of Tolkein's Ents when there is a sign about heavy plants crossing.

Ana Thu 16-Oct-14 11:52:18

I always think of triffids.

pompa Thu 16-Oct-14 12:03:27

We went on a guided wildlife walk along a local disuse railway line. The guide pointed out the variety of fruit trees growing along the line, all from discarded apple cores, cherry stones etc.

Elegran Thu 16-Oct-14 12:05:55

I believe thriving self-seeded tomato plants often grow in the areas around sewage farms.

J52 Thu 16-Oct-14 12:40:39

Why is it that the discarded pip/ seed plants do very well without human intervention? Whereas the plants we spend so much time on are not quite as good?

Natural selection, I suppose. x

pompa Thu 16-Oct-14 12:46:58

Elegran, you are quiet correct about tomatoes and sewage works, it appears that they can pass through the gut and remain viable. I can verify this because in my youth, my friend and I were picking tomatoes around the sewage works when my friend went too close and broke through the crust. We walked home well apart and his mum hosed him down in the garden before a bath in detol etc.

Elegran Thu 16-Oct-14 13:02:53

Plenty of good natural fertilizer around too.

rosesarered Thu 16-Oct-14 13:45:11

I always think of triffids too [large plant crossing] and why are there never any men at work when you see the sign?We don't see many shoes, but it does make you wonder doesn't it?Thrown from car windows? I haven't made up any roadside people Elegran like you, but often think that Britain has some amazing village names [some wonderful, others awful.]

Pittcity Thu 16-Oct-14 14:29:47

There are a lot of Giant Antique and Huge Boot sales around here..... haven't found the beanstalk yet!

absentgrandma Thu 16-Oct-14 14:39:41

When we first moved to France Gordon Brown was Chancellor of the Exchequer and he was always on about 'prudence'..... it was like a mantra with him. So everytime we saw a 'Prudence ' sign OH would say 'oh God, Gordon's got at the French!'

ninathenana Thu 16-Oct-14 14:43:42

An article in the paper today showed a photo of a flourishing tomato plant growing between train tracks. Seed and fertilizer compliments of passing trains nice !!

I can't think of any road side characters in my area off hand.

pompa Thu 16-Oct-14 14:48:56

Regarding stray shoes, we were walking along the sea wall on the Essex coast, at least a mile from anywhere. There was a single trainer laying alongside the path ???? Did that person walk/cycle home with only one trainer ??
Once you start looking for shoes/boots etc along roadside, you will see one every dozen miles or so.

ninathenana Thu 16-Oct-14 15:12:04

Sorry, of thread but pompa talking of shoes made me think.
Is anyone else aware, or is it an urban myth that a pair of trainers with laces tied thrown over telegraph wires means there is a drug dealer living near by ???
DD told me this when she was in her teens.

AlieOxon Thu 16-Oct-14 15:21:40

I've never met The Baldons but would like to especially Toot