Gransnet forums

Chat

Handbags

(38 Posts)
NanKate Sun 19-Oct-14 15:33:29

I was reading today how some women (and I suppose some men too) have a handbag fettish and can't buy enough of them.

Now tell me this do they keep switching the contents to each new bag or do they have separate purses, make up,comb, tissues and all the paraphernalia we carry about each day ?

petallus Sun 19-Oct-14 18:27:13

Well I have more than one bag and I switch contents. To make this easier, things like pens, perfume, plasters, spare pills, stamps go into a nice Radley leather pencil case DD bought me as a present some years ago. Makes it easier.

janerowena Sun 19-Oct-14 18:39:05

I have a bag liner. No, I also have a bag liner fetish. grin I own three, they are very pretty embroidered and beaded bags with change purses attached on the outside, I think Monsoon did them ages ago. I have three because I use different liner bags for different occasions so have one geared up for going away, one for choir which has to be small and discreet and one for everyday use. As DBH keeps on buying me lipsticks, coin holders, mini brushes, key holders, pretty pens and mascaras in my xmas stocking whether I need them or not, keeping three on the go has never been a problem.

KatyK Sun 19-Oct-14 18:46:10

I have abiut 10-12 bags. Some I've had for years. Yes I do change the contents around when I fancy a change. Mine are all cheap bags, Primark, Dorothy Perkins etc. I wouldn't dream of paying a lot for a bag but I do like to ring the changes. I have an 'every day' bag that I can sling over my shoulder when I go shopping etc and a few prettier ones in different colours for going out.

KatyK Sun 19-Oct-14 18:46:32

about not abiut !

Marelli Sun 19-Oct-14 19:22:59

I love handbags but only have about 7 or 8, I think. I always used to use leather ones, but find them to be heavy now, so I prefer Kipling as they are lightweight, washable and really good quality. I've bought one or two new ones from Amazon, but have also had a few from Ebay. Bags actually fascinate me (how sad am I?). Perhaps that's one of the reasons that I like the Kipling ones so much, because they have all those useful (really!) little pockets! Oh - and they must be cross-body ones grin!

rosequartz Sun 19-Oct-14 19:51:36

I have quite a few bags (but recently sent quite a lot to the charity shop); my DF and I used to shop together and she was a handbag lover, and I had many of her lovely cast-offs.

A handbag liner would be a good idea as, if I swap, I invariably forget something important like specs, medication, wallet with loyalty cards etc.

I just bought a nice Fiorelli one for my holiday, a useful size but it is not leather and is not very forgiving. That's why I prefer leather, it seem to be supple and accommodates everything.

Tegan Sun 19-Oct-14 20:07:36

I always have bags with lots of pockets and compartments; that's why I find it so difficult to swap bags on a regular basis. There was a lady on our coach that was very excited to have bought a bag that hadn't yet come out in Britain but I couldn't see what all the fuss was about confused. It was just a bag....

Tegan Sun 19-Oct-14 20:10:37

...they do have to be leather and very well made, though. I have recently been using a bag I bought in Italy years and years ago. It's like an old friend. It's been hanging on a door for a few years and I decided it needed to have a few outings....

NanKate Sun 19-Oct-14 20:32:47

This maybe a daft question, but what is a bag liner ?

Describe in no more than 20 words grin

KatyK Sun 19-Oct-14 21:40:10

I was wondering that too Nankate confused

numberplease Sun 19-Oct-14 22:29:54

My 2 younger daughters are mad about handbags, they have to be good ones, whereas I only use a handbag, or more precisely, a shoulder bag, when I go out anywhere, not for shopping days. But I have given in to my kids and their partners pressure to stop carrying my purse in my hand when shopping, so I now have a cross body bag for shopping. The few bags I do own are cheapies, I think I have about 8, but they very rarely see the light of day.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 19-Oct-14 22:37:36

handbag liner

harrigran Sun 19-Oct-14 22:42:51

I have a handbag liner and just lift the whole caboodle into another bag. I love handbags because, unlike shoes, you can always find one to fit grin

NanKate Sun 19-Oct-14 22:47:12

Well isn't that fine and dandy Jing never seen one before. And well done for describing it in 2 words. flowers

Ana Sun 19-Oct-14 22:50:36

grin NanKate!

But your handbag/s would have to be big enough to accomodate that quite bulky-looking thing.

Ana Sun 19-Oct-14 22:52:11

'accommodate'

MariClaire Mon 20-Oct-14 05:43:23

Thanks so much for enlightening me, jingl and janerowena ! I have never heard of liners and change contents among 2-3 favorite bags for each season. And then my crossover bag for travel. Oh, and an evening bag. Whoops...briefcase, too. Backpack!! Hmmm...how is it possible I missed the memo?

Any particular brands I ought to consider?? I am definitely getting at least one (I hope they come in small, medium large). grin

MariClaire Mon 20-Oct-14 05:44:24

harrigran grin

NanKate Mon 20-Oct-14 06:56:01

I have just seen a good looking insert on Amazon called Safvy ladies tidy travel insert with some excellent reviews. However I shall too await recommendations from those Gransnetters who use them.

kittylester Mon 20-Oct-14 07:05:22

My hand bags are different shapes and sizes with different pockets etc so I don't know how an insert would work! When I swap bags. I just make sure there is nothing left in the old one confused

sherish Mon 20-Oct-14 08:01:53

I have two different kind of bag liners both are a bit too bulky for a handbag but are excellent for a tote style bag. Especially good for the tote bag I have on holiday. They would also be good for a backpack.

Jane10 Mon 20-Oct-14 09:46:58

So bag liners are bags within bags? I just don't get the need to have so many bags. I tend to have just one everyday bag and an evening bag for those awful occasions when I cant get out of a dressed up evening event! The everyday bag has to be good quality, not too heavy or stiff and a colour that goes with all my clothes (black!)

hildajenniJ Mon 20-Oct-14 09:57:30

I have an everyday bag.
I have a wedding bag (black and glittery)
I have a large fabric bag (from Next) if I need a big bag.
And that, my friends, is all.

I have never come across a bag liner. Am I missing something?

GillT57 Mon 20-Oct-14 10:09:45

I like leather bags as they get lovely and soft as they get used, TK Maxx is a great place to shop for them. Otherwise I buy canvas or fabric bags as I hate plastic faux leather. I generally change to a cheerful canvas or fabric bag in bright colours for the summer and then back to one of my lovely well used leather shoulder bags in the winter.