Gransnet forums

Chat

How do you drive?

(43 Posts)
whitewave Tue 21-Oct-14 17:55:24

I have noticed that some Grans are more inclined to jump on other peoples comments/opinions with sometimes somewhat sarcastic remarks etc.

I have a theory that these Grans may well be the ones that drive more aggressively - i.e. actions that you may never do/say if met with another face to face.

kittylester Tue 21-Oct-14 18:18:37

Perfectly [haloemoticon]

shysal Tue 21-Oct-14 18:24:30

I try to be a courteous driver at all times, and this applies to my general interaction with others in everyday life too. I even have a halo and angel wings decorating the rear Honda logo on my car! [smug emoticon]hmm

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 21-Oct-14 18:38:03

I do it sitting in the passenger seat. Never short of offers. smile

#notactuallydrivingassuch

Agus Tue 21-Oct-14 18:43:32

I was told once by a male friend that I was an aggressive driver! I think he confused that with competent grin

whenim64 Tue 21-Oct-14 18:47:15

Usually politely and carefully, as I will tell the tutors on the Speed Awareness Course I have to take next month blush. I confess I was dashing too much, just days before my son's wedding when there was just too much to try to squeeze into one day. And that's all I'm prepared to say till I've spoken to my brief grin

ffinnochio Tue 21-Oct-14 18:55:11

when Ooops! grin It's that young rebel in you.

whenim64 Tue 21-Oct-14 19:01:17

Mortified! I'm going with a paper bag over my head! grin

FlicketyB Tue 21-Oct-14 19:15:45

Not necessarily. They could be picky perfectionists, who see the flaws in arguments and are equally picky and perfectionist about their driving.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 21-Oct-14 19:19:37

DH had to do one of those when. Can't tell you what it was like - he won't talk about it!

annodomini Tue 21-Oct-14 19:22:26

I'm a patient driver - no, really! If someone does something stupid, I express my disapproval (euphemism), though only to myself. when, you'd be surprised at the people who turn up at those speed awareness courses (me - and most of my family).A university prof found himself on the same course as a bishop. So take your head out of that paper bag.

Grannyknot Tue 21-Oct-14 19:59:34

Much too hesitantly, according to my husband. grin

whitewave Tue 21-Oct-14 20:07:58

flickety or other people's driving!

Nonu Tue 21-Oct-14 20:08:17

There is a huge, huge.
difference between aggressive and defensive drivers

I do believe that professional drivers are taught to drive devensivly!!

thatbags Tue 21-Oct-14 20:30:28

The only safe way to drive is with the awareness ever present in your mind that every other road user is potentially a maniac. Double that if it's a motorbike you're driving.

kittylester Tue 21-Oct-14 20:36:43

I've done two of those when - that's how I know I'm perfect!! [Smile]

whenim64 Tue 21-Oct-14 21:13:55

grin

vegasmags Tue 21-Oct-14 22:22:20

I drive defensively, especially since being broadsided in a horrendous road accident 25 years ago, caused by young men in a stolen car crashing through a red light. I actually had to take a course of driving lessons to get back my confidence, and I had a brilliant young instructor who gave me some good advice. Amongst his gems were - Drive for yourself, the car in front of you and the car behind you. On a blind bend, always imagine that someone has broken down just round the corner. Remember that if people drove as they had been taught to drive, there would be far fewer accidents.

grannyactivist Tue 21-Oct-14 22:43:17

Hmm. I drive by sticking to the rules and trying to be aware of what other road users and pedestrians are doing. I did recently call the police about another driver when I was a passenger in our car recently. The car I reported was being driven dangerously immediately in front of us and I would hazard a guess that the driver was extremely inebriated as he was weaving from one side of the road to the other and several times he actually mounted the verge. Fortunately he was driving quite slowly, but we were very worried that an accident would happen.

numberplease Tue 21-Oct-14 23:26:44

I can`t drive, but if I did, I`d almost certainly be a hesitant and timid driver.

Icyalittle Tue 21-Oct-14 23:33:53

How do I drive? About a thousand miles a week less than I did before I retired 2 years ago. [huge relief emoticon]

harrigran Tue 21-Oct-14 23:37:31

How do I drive ? from the back seat grin

Marmight Tue 21-Oct-14 23:48:09

I am a confident driver. I love driving. I do a lot of mileage each year both here and abroad and have been told that passengers feel safe with me. Even late DH said he felt most comfortable with me driving rather than anyone else, which was praise indeed. I do feel I sometimes drive too fast, but I think no.1 priority is to be totally aware of other road users , look ahead, behind and all around and anticipate the unexpected at all times. I try to be polite - giving way and waving thanks etc. but I do quite a lot of shouting and swearing under my breath at idiot drivers 'what the heck did you do that for!', 'what a * * * * * plonker' 'come on, today would do' and other choice phrases blush. Basically, a car is a killing machine if not used appropriately. Not sure if this puts me in the aggressive GN poster category - I hope not!

janeainsworth Wed 22-Oct-14 03:21:36

Marmight you have reminded me of the story of the little boy who asked his mother,
'Mummy, where are the b*ggers today? We always see them when Daddy drives!'
Careful next time you're driving your DGCs grin

Mamie Wed 22-Oct-14 05:10:05

I am also grateful that I don't have to drive all the time as I did when I was working. Here in France I have learnt to drive much more defensively, expect to find people coming round a bend on the wrong side because they are not used to meeting other cars on our country lanes and how to interpret where people are going because most French cars appear not to have been fitted with indicators. grin