Gransnet forums

Chat

Clocks back tonight

(27 Posts)
apricot Sat 25-Oct-14 21:46:05

Mucking about with the clocks twice a year makes me furious and takes a fortnight to get used to every time.
There are still 24 hours in each day. It still gets dark earlier or later as the year progresses. Most people can get up an hour earlier or later if they need or want to, so no, you don't get an extra hour in bed unless you're going to work on Sunday morning and have to set your alarm. If not, you can lie in bed as long as the kids or cats let you.
I've never needed an alarm, I wake up early and tomorrow that will be about 5 o'clock, which is too damned early.

NanKate Sat 25-Oct-14 22:10:19

Same here Apricot 6.00 am is my time to wake. Nothing we can do about it unfortunately. I hate the dark nights.

shysal Sat 25-Oct-14 22:40:34

I am another who doesn't think of it as an extra hour in bed. I try to go go bed later, so for me it will be another hour awake. Most nights I surface at about 3am, sometimes managing to doze off again for a while, but not usually. I expect I shall be up early and reading in the bath to pass the time before my usual 7.30am Sunday walk for 2 hours with a friend. Roll on Springtime!

merlotgran Sat 25-Oct-14 22:44:37

Well timed for me. Old friends coming for Sunday lunch so I'll get up at my normal time and have an extra hour to panic check that everything's tickety boo.

Nelliemoser Sat 25-Oct-14 23:38:47

My poor daughter is on a night shift tonight and has to work that extra hour. I will probably wake up at my usual time and not be able to get back to sleep so I will feel dreadful for an extra hour. Heigh Ho!

FarNorth Sun 26-Oct-14 01:52:58

The moaning about clock-changing always starts in autumn, not so much in spring. That's strange as British Summer Time is the unnatural time, while Greenwick Mean Time, as used in winter, is the correct time for Britain.

thatbags Sun 26-Oct-14 06:26:07

I woke up at my usual time (0500GMT). I don't feel dreadful. I feel the same as usual.

Marmight Sun 26-Oct-14 06:41:01

I was woken up at 5.05 by two small boys who, despite my pleas for quiet play, have continued to sing at the top of their voices and jump off the furniture. Trust DD and SiL to choose last night, of all nights, to go away for a romantic break!

Anya Sun 26-Oct-14 06:50:27

Marmite grin

NanKate Sun 26-Oct-14 09:41:46

My DinL, GS 3+ and GS 1 Facetimed me on my Ipad this morning at 7.00 p.m. I had just woken up.

'Did you put your clocks back an hour' ? I asked my DinL. 'No' she replied 'I haven't got a clue what the time is'.

I don't look my best first thing in the morning lying there in bed with DH, but the kids didn't seem to mind and we had a nice chat.

The wonders of modern technology.

Tegan Sun 26-Oct-14 09:44:36

My clocks sort of stay the same for a while [well, quite a long time sometimes] before I change them. I just readjust the time in my head.

danielle09 Sun 26-Oct-14 10:20:29

The main reason why I wanted Scotland to vote YES is because I wanted to see if the government was going to use that stupid excuse of Scottish farmers blablabla . . . Hate it!

Nelliemoser Sun 26-Oct-14 10:28:12

I am surprised that I had a better nights sleep than I thought I would. Woke up 4ish for a pee and got back to sleep quite well.

pompa Sun 26-Oct-14 11:13:13

Likewise I slept better last night than normal. Went to bed at 8:30 because I was in so much pain, woke at 10:30 for my next dose of painkillers, then at 7:30 (old time). But can I make it until 9:pm ish tonight.

Elegran Sun 26-Oct-14 11:13:16

Farnorth You beat me to it. I was about to say that the definition of 12 noon is that the sun is at its highest then at Greenwich. Summertime changes that so that it appears that high noon at Greenwich is at 1 pm. Having us all get up an hour earlier in summer was to make the most early morning sunshine. The clocks are now back to normal, after a summer of being an hour ahead of nature.

Whenever I hear yet again that it is all a government lie that in the early morning it is darker in Scotland than it is in southern England, I feel like inviting the speaker to spend a few days in mid-December north of the Great Glen. It not only gets light later, it gets dark earlier too, and the angle of the suns rays is lower, so the quality of the light is worse. The day is shorter and duller. They would want to bring their SAD lamps with them.

The silver lining is that in summer the days are proportionately longer than in the south - but you can't bank the light for use later in the year.

NanKate Sun 26-Oct-14 11:43:02

Pompa I don't know the cause of your pain but I have disrupted sleep due to ver itchy skin which is going to be checked out by the doctor. However, I have had a good amount of relief from using a chilled pillow (Chillow) which somehow keeps me sleeping longer.

You however may need warmth for your pain but I thought it was worth mentioning.

grannyactivist Sun 26-Oct-14 11:47:14

My four year old grandson is staying with me at the moment (half-term) and he woke at his usual time, but kindly got into bed with Granny and read for an hour. grin

numberplease Sun 26-Oct-14 12:17:57

My cat didn`t put her clock back, keeps demanding food at the usual times!

NanKate Sun 26-Oct-14 12:18:15

We are gearing up to stay with our 2 young GSs this half-term.

They come into the bedroom about 7.00 am with torches and want to play jumping and rough games in bed. I try and sneak out and leave DH to oversee the mayhem. grin

whenim64 Sun 26-Oct-14 12:48:12

One of my almost 3 year old (tomorrow) grandaughters stayed here last night. Bouncing around till nine thirty, despite several quiet story times and going up to bed for the novelty when the mood took her (before getting out again), then she dropped off and woke me at 6 am. 'Is it good morning?' I wish I had that energy. Her mum and dad enjoyed the lie-in, though.

annodomini Sun 26-Oct-14 13:00:07

Those twins can't be three already, when ..... can they?

whenim64 Sun 26-Oct-14 13:49:12

Yes, anno those little sugar bag sized babies are now tall Amazonians who spend half their lives doing somersaults over the back of the sofa and tearing round on trikes, ploughing through everything in their way. grin

FarNorth Sun 26-Oct-14 18:12:21

danielle09 What are you on about ?? confused

Elegran Exactly, but they all seem to be happy to witter on anyway. smile

thatbags Sun 26-Oct-14 18:24:21

Well said, elegran. The total lack of understanding of just how dark winters are in Scotland, even where I am, which is not in the far north of Scotland, pisses me off as well.

thatbags Sun 26-Oct-14 18:25:32

PS Hello, farnorth smile