Gransnet forums

Chat

Jack Bruce

(18 Posts)
Agus Sat 25-Oct-14 22:32:19

just heard the very sad news that Jack Bruce has died.

Many happy memories of listening to Cream and still enjoy their music.

merlotgran Sat 25-Oct-14 22:40:04

Same here, Agus

Ana Sat 25-Oct-14 22:54:57

Oh no, they're all going - I was/am a big fan of Cream.

Alvin Stardust also died this week.

rubysong Sat 25-Oct-14 23:32:00

Cream were quite exceptional. RIP Jack Bruce.

janeainsworth Sat 25-Oct-14 23:48:16

Another Cream fan here. sad

Tegan Sat 25-Oct-14 23:57:19

I wasn't at the time, but have started to re listen to a lot of old stuff. White Room was my favourite.

Teetime Sun 26-Oct-14 09:42:17

2 big Crème fans here- what next us?

Tegan Sun 26-Oct-14 09:52:14

For some reason always thought that Cream's music/lyrics were all written by Clapton; hadn't realised that Jack Bruce was mainly responsible. Would like to listen to some of his later stuff [although hadn't realised that he'd joined Manfred Mannat one point].

12Michael Sun 26-Oct-14 10:26:03

I saw Cream at a multiple artists concert at what was the old Wembley Arena.
Mick

12Michael Sun 26-Oct-14 10:35:19

Should have said the Wembley Empire Pool
Mick

Tegan Sun 26-Oct-14 13:50:50

I wasn't sure if I'd got Disraeli Gears in vinyl as I'm always scared to go into the loft after dark but I've been up there now and yes, I have. I've got some of those LP sized picture frames and I like to change what's in them depending on my mood, so it can take pride of place for a while.

Tegan Sun 26-Oct-14 13:52:28

www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCc00pX_pFA
..quick blast in celebration...

Agus Sun 26-Oct-14 14:14:15

We have been listening to some Cream this morning but I still can't get White Room out of my head since you mentioned it Tegan grin.

I probably had a soft spot for Jack Bruce because he was Glaswegian too and followed his progress more closely for that reason plus I loved his music.

janeainsworth Sun 26-Oct-14 14:25:42

I was in a small silver jewellery shop/workshop in North Carolina a couple of days ago, buying a present for someone, and Sunshine of your Love was playing.
The girl serving me was friendly and chatty, so I told her I had the song on vinyl, having bought it in my student days.
It seemed an odd sort of place to hear Cream, and now odder still in the light of Jack's death.

mollie65 Sun 26-Oct-14 14:39:09

did have Disraeli gears on LP but in various moves my LPs went awol.
still love 'Badge' - Jack Bruce on that although it is on an Eric Clapton collection.
maybe there will be an upsurge in interestr in their music when these 'legends' are no more. showing our age here grin

Tegan Sun 26-Oct-14 19:01:11

Most of the Cream, Clapton, Led Zeppelin, John Mayall, Hendrix LP's were my ex's choice [I was more into folk in those days].Mind you, most of it originated from my beloved Yardbirds.I still only like Hendrix up to a point. I'd like to hear more of the music that Robert Plant is doing now. Wonder which of todays bands will stand the test of time? Strange to read up on Alvin Stardust and realise that he came from a rather academic family and went to a very posh school; changed his image to get a recording contract with Stiff Records. Just goes to show how appearances can deceive.

TerriBull Sun 26-Oct-14 20:01:40

Very sad to hear about Jack Bruce absolutely loved the iconic "I feel free"

Deedaa Sun 26-Oct-14 21:00:58

My favourite was Sunshine of your Love. I've always said I'll have it played at my funeral! We were all very into folk at Art School, if not folk it had to be Blues and Eric Clapton was bluesy enough to make Cream acceptable. I would never have imagined in those days that we'd still be talking about them today!