Gransnet forums

Chat

Short answer to stupid question

(12 Posts)
sunseeker Tue 28-Oct-14 18:48:59

I have often thought that television interviewers do ask some stupid questions but on local news programme tonight I think I heard the silliest.

A reporter was speaking to a Royal Marine about the tough training that Marines have to do

Reporter "Do you ever break down in tears thinking it is all too much?" Marine: "No"

pompa Tue 28-Oct-14 19:30:55

Perhaps he should have said only when someone kicks me in the nuts, or I get asked stupid questions.

janeainsworth Tue 28-Oct-14 19:36:10

My ex-Royal Marine SiL has just choked on his beer, Sunseekergrin

Today is the 350th anniversary of the founding of the Royal Marines, 28th October 1664.

Teetime Tue 28-Oct-14 19:38:01

Love our Marines brilliant brave fantastic xxxx

Iam64 Wed 29-Oct-14 08:11:01

Fabulous sunseeker, my dad was a Royal Marine and I can imagine his response would have been exactly the same.

What a plonker, to ask any RM, or former RM a question like that. Thanks for the post, I'm still smiling

Icyalittle Wed 29-Oct-14 08:15:27

grin
I remember a sports interviewer on the Today programme talking to a small child who answered every direct question with a monosyllable. Daft questions deserve daft answers.

hildajenniJ Wed 29-Oct-14 08:41:59

My Dad was a Royal Marine during World War 2. He doesn't suffer fools gladly either.

Iam64 Wed 29-Oct-14 18:13:07

Which comes first, the no nonsense approach, or being a Royal Marine? Dad always referred to the Royal Marines, rather than The Marines. When we were teenagers, wanting a lie in Sunday after being out Saturday night, we'd be woken about 9.30 am, by the Royal Marine band. He had a favourite LP, and would join in, by playing the drums on the stair rails, if we didn't get up for the breakfast he'd be cooking. Happy memories

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 29-Oct-14 20:53:02

I would think it very likely that some of the young blokes break down in tears. From what I've seen on tv, it is a hugely strenuous training programme. A fair percentage must find they've bitten off more than they can chew. And a young man away from home, perhaps for the first time, and feeling out of his depth, and humiliated, could well break down in tears.

And what is wrong with that? they can't all be super heroes. hmm

Ana Wed 29-Oct-14 20:58:08

Not likely to admit it on the local tv news, though...

janeainsworth Wed 29-Oct-14 22:40:13

Presumably the interview was with a Royal Marine and not someone on the induction course, Jingl

glammanana Thu 30-Oct-14 15:44:17

Apparently according to DS1 the pain from the induction course is similar to childbirth you forget the pain once you have the prize in your hand and his was the coveted beret,but jings I can assure you tears where shead during training but away from prying eyes.