Gransnet forums

Chat

Re: sisterly affection....don't make me laugh

(182 Posts)
vampirequeen Sun 16-Nov-14 11:06:44

Today is my mum's 80th birthday. There is a surprise party organised at a restaurant. I offered to sort it out but my sister insisted even though she lives in Australia.

Somehow, I don't want to think it's deliberate but what else could it be, she forgot to include me, DH and our children in the booking.

Until this morning I thought it was arranged for noon. It turns out the booking is for 1.30pm. I rang the restaurant which is how I found out that we hadn't been included. We could tell from the number of children's meals booked. The lady was very nice but said she couldn't fit us into the party room but she would reserve us a table in the main restaurant just in case. It's a long story and I'm so upset I can't write anymore. I just needed to get this off my chest.

Sorry to dump it on you all.

Marmight Sun 16-Nov-14 11:13:04

Oh Vampire! I bet you are hopping. I am sure it wasn't intentional. I hope it is all sorted out in the end. Perhaps your sister and her family could sit at the other table?? I do hope, despite everything, your Mum has a happy family day. flowers

Elegran Sun 16-Nov-14 11:13:04

I hope you phoned your sister to "check on the time it starts" ?

It is possible that it really was accidental, or that someone you thought would be there can't come. Though you know your sister, of course.

thatbags Sun 16-Nov-14 11:13:04

vamp, I'm so sorry sad. Here, have a shoulder to cry on.

Marmight Sun 16-Nov-14 11:14:22

.....assuming your sister is here for the event! confused

whenim64 Sun 16-Nov-14 11:15:06

Have you checked with her, vq? I don't know how old your children are, but we include teenagers as adults for bookings as they eat adult meals, anyway. Do they have the names of every person going? If not, it could be four others have been forgotten and if you're there on time, there'll be another group who don't have seats. I hope they can sort it out so you can sit together - most dining rooms can squeeze a few more round a table if they need to.

shysal Sun 16-Nov-14 11:26:19

How upsetting for you vampire! You must be fuming angry! Has your sister come over for the party? If so, she should be the one sitting in the main restaurant. Do you have the nerve to arrive early with your DH and children and 'innocently' claim some seats? You will not want to upset your mother, but if things are awkward you must make it plain that you are not to blame.
I hope the occasion goes off well despite the 'oversight'.

Mishap Sun 16-Nov-14 11:32:46

Oh vampire - are you sure that it is a deliberate act? Can you be certain that it is you and your children who have been missed out and not just a mistake in the numbers? It is unimaginable that someone would do this as an act of unkindness. Here is another shoulder to cry on if you really do feel that this was deliberate.

I would only say that, when people behave in this mindlessly cruel way, it is best not to take it personally - anyone who could perpetrate such an act obviously has a bit if a problem - but it is their problem and not yours. Rise above it; concentrate on giving Mum a good day. Take a deep breath and remember that you are not the one at fault.

Lona Sun 16-Nov-14 11:37:06

vampire flowers Get there early and don't assume it was deliberate (unless she's done it before).
Smile sweetly and sit down where you want to be.

Ana Sun 16-Nov-14 11:43:50

I agree with Lona. Your sister won't have named everyone, she'll just have given the number to the restaurant.

You and your family have every right to be there, vampirequeen!

posie Sun 16-Nov-14 11:46:57

Yes, I agree with the get there early ideas, & bag seats.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 16-Nov-14 11:54:04

Was there no communication between you all? How come you didn't find this out till the last minute? confused

daffydil Sun 16-Nov-14 12:00:23

I agree too but if this was a deliberate act by your sister, I am appalled. However, the important thing is that your mother has a lovely day. She would be really upset if she thought two of her children were on bad terms. If you feel like it tomorrow, let us know ho you get on.

ffinnochio Sun 16-Nov-14 12:04:13

Vampirequeen I'm really sorry to hear how upset you are. Whatever the cause, I do hope you are able to celebrate your Mum's 80th in good spirit. flowers & big (hug)

soontobe Sun 16-Nov-14 12:11:20

Agree with Lona and others.
Still go.

Kiora Sun 16-Nov-14 12:41:04

I agree with your title vampirequeen I have three sisters. Two who have treated the third appallingly and when I intervened took umbrage and are now having no contact with either of us. I agree with everyone here though it mustn't spoil your families day. particularly your mum. I like the idea of you turning up early though and sitting innocently and smiling sweetly as the family arrive. The really upsetting thing is no matter what, it has spoiled the day for you. Sibling rivalry comes to mind were your sister is concerned. If you feel up to it let us know how it goes. ( not that I'm nosey you understand I just like to have an ending) wink and not too much wine otherwise you might just let rip. flowers

Mishap Sun 16-Nov-14 12:43:53

Thank goodness she lives in Australia!

glammanana Sun 16-Nov-14 13:31:46

If your sister hasn't travelled over for the celebrations & meal she will have no idea who arrived and who didn't so yes smile and claim no knowledge I find it very strange that a restaurant cannot find seats for maybe 4/5 extra guests at the main table,why can't the youngsters have a table in the main restaurant surely they would have more in common with each other than with all the grown-ups,I do hope your mum enjoys her day and send you lots of ((hugs)) & flowers & wine

KatyK Sun 16-Nov-14 18:09:34

vampirequeen - that is so BAD. I would be as upset as you are. How awful.flowers

vampirequeen Mon 17-Nov-14 09:17:16

My sister arrived in the UK on 7th November. I saw her the day after she arrived but she was very ill with a migraine and we didn't have chance to talk. Since then she's been busy catching up with everyone. She emailed me a few times in the initial planning stages then stopped answering my replies.

It was deliberate. Although she has never met my husband she hates him (because my mum does). He's never done anything to warrant this hatred. Mum was unhappy because he had young children but as you all know our children bring me so much joy. When I got married he brought me two little gifts. My mum discussed her dislike of him with my sister who advised her to ban him from her house which she did (I kid you not).

The party started and I've not seen my mum so happy since we lost my dad. I told her there'd been a mix up with the numbers and that we didn't mind eating in the main restaurant. She accepted that so everything was OK. We had to leave earlier because we had to take the children back to their mum's. I explained to mum and she understood. We'd been there for the meal and the cake etc. The party was winding down anyway.

As I was getting ready to leave my sister suddenly announced to me that she expected me to pay for DH and the children as she hadn't expected them to be there. There had been a lot of discussion about paying in the early emails as I am on benefits and, unlike many people think, it’s not a fortune. We live month to month. We had come to an arrangement which although I wasn’t happy with was forced upon me. I had paid everything I thought I was expected to pay including buying the cake which I hadn’t scrimped on. C had taken enough money to buy me and him one soft drink to last however long and a couple for the children so I didn’t have any money on me at all. I tried to borrow from my daughters but, although they work, they have very little money and they couldn’t help. So then I asked my aunt but she hadn’t got enough with her. Finally I asked my uncle who lent me it without a thought even saying I didn’t have to pay him back….although I will. As this was going on hidden from my mum cos I was in dread of spoiling her day.

Each request was excruciating for me. I have never asked family for money and never let them see how difficult life can be. I’m not even particularly close to my uncle.

As many of you know I’m not well. I have mh issues including depression and anxiety. By the time I’d finally got the money I was fighting to control my tears. I gave her the £20 without a word and left. One of my cousins who I haven’t seen for years saw I was upset and followed me out. I said it was because I was having to leave early…stupid excuse but the only one I could think of lol. As we were driving away another cousin stopped the car to check on me and swap phone numbers. I admitted I wasn’t very well but again blamed leaving early. Remember we also had the children in the car so the lie was for their benefit too.

I’m afraid it pushed me over the edge somewhat. Fortunately DH was with me and wouldn’t leave me on my own so I couldn’t act on my feelings. Had a sleep now and although I’m still not well I’m not as bad as I was yesterday.

I can relax a little from Weds to Sat as my sister is flying out to Rome for four days so I won’t have to see her. She goes back to Aus the following week so I doubt I’ll see her again. If I do I’ll act as if nothing has happened because my mum will be there and I really don’t want her to even get an inclining that something is wrong.

janerowena Mon 17-Nov-14 09:31:15

I have one who has been just the same, I really feel for you. I also have an uncle who did something similar to my mother after her marriage with my father broke up. Who knows what is going on in their heads. My toxic sister has just moved to the other end of the UK and my relief is huge.

I'm glad you went along, who knows what excuse she might have trotted out for your absence. I'm thinking it was just a pity you hadn't left before she had a chance to ask for a further contribution. When people do have money, they seem to lose any memory of what it was like to be broke. How £10 still in the bank account at the end of the month is a cause for celebration.

As for keeping it from your Mum - well, you know her best. My own has only just clicked all by herself how awful my sister can be, and it's a huge weight off my mind. She's 80 next year and it hasn't killed her off!

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 17-Nov-14 09:43:11

Well done for keeping it from your Mum, and so not spoiling her day. That was very good and brave of you. (Good Daughter Award there I would say)

I think the sister relationship can be a difficult one. Haven't got one myself, but, sadly, I see a bit of it in my two DDs' relationship. All us mums can do is keep the family love flowing, and hope and pray for the best for the future. flowers

Gagagran Mon 17-Nov-14 09:46:12

I'm another with a difficult sister, who happens to be the eldest of we five siblings. And don't we know it! She has always been very bossy and dominant in any situation, so much so that the youngest, a brother, has cut all contact with her. She moved last year and now lives near my other, more vulnerable sister and is making life very difficult for her.

I am just glad I am 300 miles away from her!

All my sympathies are with you VQ. Hang on in there - she is going back to Oz in less than two weeks!

Marmight Mon 17-Nov-14 09:49:57

What a terrible day you had Vampire. Just remember, you have retained your dignity throughout, unlike your sister. Most mothers 'know' you know and I would be very surprised if your own Mum hasn't realised there is something going on. At least now you can hopefully put this behind you and concentrate on the really important things in your life. flowers

soontobe Mon 17-Nov-14 09:54:34

I think that you dealt with the day admirably.