Gransnet forums

Chat

Where do the years go?

(24 Posts)
NanKate Sun 23-Nov-14 21:39:10

Tonight I started to watch on BBC4 a re-run of 'Day of the Triffids' staring John Duttine. I remember how much I enjoyed the series when it was first shown.

I thought I had watched it about 10 or 11 years ago. I was astonished to see it was broadcast in 1981 thirty three years ago - shock horror. shock

Have you experienced time moving so rapidly ?

Tegan Sun 23-Nov-14 21:52:08

The programme on BBC2 last night about Sci Fi was really interesting; it's a 4 part series. I missed the first half and I can't get iplayer to work to watch the first half [which has reduced me to tears sad]. I hadn't realised how interested I used to be in Sci Fi, and how much a part of my life it has been. It all started with Pathfinders in Space when I was @ 10 and moved on to Dune and Hitchhikers Guide etc.

NanKate Sun 23-Nov-14 21:57:27

Tegan thanks for the recommendation will try and find it on Iplayer. Sorry you can't get it.

Tegan Sun 23-Nov-14 22:09:08

I think it started at 9:45 BBC2. I'd been planning to watch it all day..I could kick myself!

NanKate Sun 23-Nov-14 22:12:59

Do you think you could access the programme through your computer Tegan? I often watch or listen to programmes that way.

Tegan Mon 24-Nov-14 00:01:13

I can only watch iplayer through the computer but even that isn't working. I've got a horrible feeling my computer has got a virus of some kind.

Agus Mon 24-Nov-14 00:50:25

NanKate as soon as I saw the title, Day of the Triffids, it reminded me of reading the book. Then I remembered when, late 60's!

Eloethan Mon 24-Nov-14 01:06:28

I'm going to try and catch up with that Sci Fi series - it sounds interesting.

I wonder if they'll mention A for Andromeda. I couldn't resist watching it but it terrified me.

Teetime Mon 24-Nov-14 07:11:43

Loved DOTT but I'm not a Sci fi fan unless you count early Star Trek watching with my then new husband-35 years ago. He still loves the old Sci Fi but not what he calls the new computer game stuff.

NanKate Mon 24-Nov-14 07:32:42

Agus I too read DOTT and The Midwich Cuckoo which were both turned into films/ tv series. The author wrote some great sci fi novels.

Eloethan I too loved and was frightened of A for Andromeda. I think Julie Christie played one of the main roles.

I enjoyed the H G Wells film The Time Machine as well.

I still read modern books like this which they now called Dystopian. The series I find fascinating now is called The Enemy by Charlie Higson. I warn you they are very bloodthirsty but absolutely fascinating. The are set in a world where all the adults are struck down by a nasty disease and the children have to learn to survive and avoid being attacked by the adults. The children hole themselves up in places like The War Museum, The Tower of London, Buckingham Palace. Warning these books are not for the feint- hearted.

Tegan Mon 24-Nov-14 09:21:48

What was interesting, in the bit I did manage to watch sad was how much that was in Hitchikers Guide is now normal and everyday; ie did he foresee the future or did he invent it? [the same could be said of most Sci Fi writers, I guess]. The man who wrote Battlestar Galactica [I think it was that one]was a Mormon, and was based on his peoples' search for a homeland. I loved the Dune books when I was young. And Arthur C Clarke.

annodomini Mon 24-Nov-14 09:41:42

I read almost everything by Isaac Asimov back in the 80s and a great deal of Arthur C Clarke. More recently, I've read all the sci fi books by Iain M Banks (Iain Banks in his 'straight' fiction). These are highly inventive, dealing with alien civilizations, particularly one known as 'The Culture' where humanoids live a luxurious lifestyle in a manufactured world, controlled by 'minds'. Sadly, since the author's untimely death, there will be no more of these ingenious novels.

Nonu Mon 24-Nov-14 12:54:39

Oh how I agree with you *NAN ,*time does seem to flash by, I cannot believe I will have been married for 44 years in January !
smile

rockgran Mon 24-Nov-14 13:36:12

I loved this the first time round - not least because John Duttine was a bit of alright!

NanKate Mon 24-Nov-14 16:24:12

Nonu it will be 44 for us next October - we must have been child brides.grin

Rockgran I saw a picture of JD taken a coupled years ago and sadly he is a bit porky now. His wife Mel Martin still looked good. Do you remember her in 'Love for Lydia' ?

Nonu Mon 24-Nov-14 16:53:12

wink wink

Eloethan Mon 24-Nov-14 22:18:56

We went to see Interstellar the other evening and I was really disappointed with it and thought it ridiculous. It has been compared, amongst other films, to 2001, but - despite all the fancy effects - I don't think it is in the same street. The rest of the audience seemed similarly underwhelmed.

bubbly1960 Tue 25-Nov-14 09:05:38

My brother and I used to say to our father in the 1960s that he was obsessed with the second world war. Now I'm slightly older I can see that the war ended only 15 to 20 years earlier, whereas 15 to 20 years ago was 1994 to 1997, not a long time ago at all. I feel bad now, because when the war started he was 13, and he lived in the east end of London. It surely made a huge impression on him, and sadly, I never talked with him about it. He's been gone since 1988, I missed my chance.

feetlebaum Tue 25-Nov-14 09:23:57

I did most of my SF reading in the 1950s - magazines like Astounding and the catchily titled Street & Smith's Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction.

That was before all the Sword and Sorcery stuff came along. Isaac Asimov contributed articles - even L Ron Hubbard's nonsense about 'Dianetics' that eventually led to his 'Scientology' movement.

apricot Tue 25-Nov-14 20:09:47

Remember Quatermass? As Saturday reappears every couple of days now and June was a few weeks ago, I'm sure The Triffids and Quatermass were about 10 years ago.
Wasn't television dire in the beginning (that was roughly 25 years back)? Remember Andy Pandy and Muffin the Mule's strings all showing?

rosequartz Tue 25-Nov-14 20:13:55

By your reckoning I am only 33 apricot, which makes two of my DC older than me.
That could be a science fiction story!

annodomini Tue 25-Nov-14 20:17:59

I have a feeling that the original Quatermass was in 1954 because I was 14 and ill in bed, not allowed to get up and watch it.

pompa Tue 25-Nov-14 20:56:37

Original Quatermass Experiment, Summer 1953. I remember hiding behind a chair watching it. Would love to see the original again.

annodomini Tue 25-Nov-14 21:29:05

Must have been Quatermass and the Pit that I wasn't allowed to watch. When the earlier one was on, I was only 12, so was probably sent to bed with a good book.