Gransnet forums

Chat

How do you carry on a conversation?

(32 Posts)
posie Mon 24-Nov-14 11:06:28

In another thread, a poster commented that after the initial 10mins of a conversation, which she can do fairly easy, she then runs out of things to say.
This is my problem too. I just clam up & the more I cast about frantically in my mind for something else to say the worse it becomes!

I've always been a fairly quiet person & short of self confidence but now I find myself on my own I need to somehow master the art of conversation. I so envy those talkative people!

rubysong Mon 24-Nov-14 11:12:30

Help, I can't open any threads this morning. They all give me this weird heading. It says $breakStringTool.fixThreadName($!pm.threadName)

Ana Mon 24-Nov-14 12:03:13

rubysong, I'm having the same problem!

Mishap Mon 24-Nov-14 12:44:33

Well - I suppose that if you really feel you have nothing you want to say, then the option of saying nowt is there - you are not obliged to talk - but on the whole people like to be asked about themselves and to feel someone is taking an interest in them and that is always a good place to start.

rubysong Mon 24-Nov-14 12:57:35

Take a tip from hairdressers, and ask about holidays, books, garden etc. I aren't the best at any of this, some people I can chat freely with but some I just don't seem to be able to connect with at all.

However it is best to remember the old warning 'It is better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt!'
We have a neighbour who never draws breath, she just talks and talks. She's easy company in a way as her companion needs make no effort at all.

littleflo Mon 24-Nov-14 13:17:40

One of the best ways to prepare is to think of two questions to ask. How, what,have, when, why. In my experience people enjoy being asked for advice, talking about their hobbies, their garden, their house and their family.

If you know the person well, pick on a subject they are failiMiar with. Being recitant is an asset as it allows those who like to talk an opportunity to do so.

For strangers,
Have you seen any good t.v./book/ film lately. I find it so hard to find something to watch,read etc.

What do you think of .. The changes to the high street, Christmas...any neutral subject.

How was your journey, Did it take you long to get here

Of course you may have to be bored by the answers, but I think it's a small price to pay for not feeling uncomfortable.

pompa Mon 24-Nov-14 13:19:27

Silence is Golden. We have a friend that suffers from verbal diarrhea, she never stops talking, if anyone else manages to get a word in she ignores them and carries on. If we go for a walk in the countryside, constant chatter, no wildlife to be seen, I wonder why. Her husband hardly says a word, he has forgotten how to.
Speak when you have something interesting to say, otherwise just listen, you will learn far more.

Gagagran Mon 24-Nov-14 13:22:58

I have never have a problem talking to anyone. I think the trick is to ask people about themselves and really listen to the answers. Most people, given a little encouragement, will chat away quite happily telling you about their children, grandchildren, dog, the weather, their last holiday, the latest scandal etc.. But you need to focus on them and look interested (even if you aren't) and ask relevant questions. Before you know it you are having a proper conversation and if you have, unfortunately, come across a prize bore, then you need to spot someone you really must have a word with as you've been trying to catch them for ages! grin

Charleygirl Mon 24-Nov-14 13:24:52

Yes, pompa I know somebody like that and even worse, one hears everything at least 4 times. She never stops chattering and I cannot stand it. Luckily I only see her once a month at the charity of which I am a member.

Grannyknot Mon 24-Nov-14 13:30:32

There is definitely something to be said for learning the art of conversation. One of the best tips I was given was to apply "active listening" in other words listening without mentally preparing a response (quite difficult to do). That way you invariably find something in what the other person says that you can contribute to or talk about too.

When I was younger, I used to sometimes chatter away when I was nervous. I like to think I have improved with age grin - plus my husband will say that he has trained me.

soontobe Mon 24-Nov-14 13:42:20

Write and try to memorise an entire list of neutral subjects to bring up if and when you get stuck.

janerowena Mon 24-Nov-14 13:50:41

I often ask the person I am stuck with how they know a common friend. Or rather, a friend or acquaintance we have in common. If I get desperate I ask if they would like me to fetch them something. I have an afternoon of small talk ahead of me this Friday, I shall meet all sorts of women I have never set eyes on before. Sometimes you meet one and you both just click. Sometimes I meet one and they stick to me like glue and I get desperate to talk to anyone else, so I take them with me and introduce them to them and it eases the pressure on both of us. It gets easier with practice. If in doubt nurse a coffee cup and admire the photos or the view while you catch your breath and regroup. I have several friends who seem to love this sort of gathering, they are real networkers but it has never really appealed to me. I can do it, but it's hard work.

janeainsworth Mon 24-Nov-14 13:53:51

Agree with Gk about active listening. Active listening, incidentally, is the polar opposite of man-listening.

Ask open questions, ie requiring something other than a yes or no answer.

Eg Not 'do you like reading' but 'What sort of books do you like to read'

soontobe Mon 24-Nov-14 13:55:58

I once had plenty of time to observe someone locally who never runs out of things to say, and people find interesting.
She talked endlessly about local things. The local neighbours, local neighbour's dog, who was thinking to move house, the weather, the shop, someone who lived in the same next village, local people who were no longer around, etc etc.
Then the church, the road, what someone was/was no longer doing etc!

glammanana Mon 24-Nov-14 13:58:00

pompa & Charleygirl We have someone like that are you sure it's not my neighbour ? I have listened to her tales of her three marriages and how they went wrong for the past 6 yrs,maybe she has not realised she is the common denominator as yet ?
I listen and nod in the right places and have not been caught out as yet.
posie A little line to quote is "Isn't it nice to just sit quietly and take in the surroundings",it gets you out of a loss of topic most times.

gillybob Mon 24-Nov-14 14:03:54

I always struggle meeting new people and am often stuck for something to say. At work I am often left with a "rep" or other visitor and have to find something to say to break and uncomfortable silence. It can be very difficult but once the ice is broken, try shutting me up. grin

My daughter talks for England. Mostly complete nonsense.

suevie34 Mon 24-Nov-14 14:53:51

posie, I sympathize.

Listening is the key, that way you will find something in the other's conversation that you can pick up on.

But I think it's nice to be a bit quiet and reflective. We can't all be the life and soul of the party. Be true to yourself smile

FlicketyB Mon 24-Nov-14 14:54:14

I am puzzled that you can keep going for 10 minutes and then freeze. Surely if you have managed to talk to someone for ten minutes without freezing, it is because, around minute three or four, you found some subjects of mutual interest that you are both busily discussing.

Freezing after only a few minutes I understand, but by 10 minutes you should be exchanging email addresses and showing pictures of your grandchildren!

sunseeker Mon 24-Nov-14 15:12:45

I am basically shy and find meeting new people very difficult, some years ago I was at a very posh dinner and found myself sitting next to people I had never met before. After the initial small talk I asked the man to my right if he had any hobbies - he then went on to monopolise the conversation for the next hour talking about archery (something I knew nothing about!) all I had to do was ask the odd (fairly) intelligent question and he was away!

In contrast in the last office I worked it was more or less compulsory to have lunch with the partners once a month (this was done on a rota). I was seated between two of the partners who proceeded to talk over me about cricket making no attempt to involve me in the conversation (not that I could have joined in as I have absolutely no knowledge of cricket!) When it next came to my turn to have lunch with them I refused to go stating that it was my lunch break and I could spend it any way I wanted.

Conversation has to be a two way exercise, the other person/people should also make an effort to find out your interests and, especially if you are their guest, make sure you are able to join in the conversation.

TriciaF Mon 24-Nov-14 15:38:06

I think it's amazing to keep going for 10 minutes!
I'm a listener rather than a talker and just as well because husband and best friend can talk the proverbial back leg off a donkey.

annodomini Mon 24-Nov-14 16:20:14

If you've been having a conversation for ten minutes, and then freeze, either you haven't been listening to the other person sufficiently to be able to open new lines of conversation. Either that or he/she is so boring that you need to extricate yourself. Go to the loo?

annodomini Mon 24-Nov-14 16:20:56

Syntax glitch in that post. Sorry!

henetha Mon 24-Nov-14 16:33:32

Oh dear. That is a bit sad. I'm the opposite really. Because I live alone, when I do encounter another living, breathing human being, I open my mouth and have trouble closing it again. I could talk for England, as they say. But I do make an effort to listen as well..... when I remember!

PRINTMISS Mon 24-Nov-14 16:36:52

i agree with gagagran, if you can listen to someone then your will be able to have conversation. The weather is always a good place to start - look at the 'good morning' thread here, and then you can move on to gardens - o.k. so you may not have one, but some people do, and families, I think it is important to be INTERESTED in other people.

MargaretX Mon 24-Nov-14 17:12:08

Ohhenetha I think you're brave to admit to that.
If you have talked for 10 minutes and there is no response then you just have to shut up. Be quiet and usually someone will break the silence.
if not, ask for advice. If they know of a house for sale, or a good baker or a good hairdresser

Talking is not a problem for me as I am interested in other people and have some interesting conversations and if there is someone who is really interesting then I do listen. On the whole I am a talker and have to be told to shut up by my family sometimes.