Gransnet forums

Chat

When you have had your lunch in the kitchen.....

(40 Posts)
jinglbellsfrocks Wed 26-Nov-14 13:30:29

and OH is out, do you lick the plate? blush

Charleygirl Wed 26-Nov-14 13:34:56

Yuk, never

Charleygirl Wed 26-Nov-14 13:35:38

Or even yuck!

ninathenana Wed 26-Nov-14 13:36:31

Better that than letting the dog do it ! grin

I don't have a dog BTW

tanith Wed 26-Nov-14 13:47:50

No never..shock

thatbags Wed 26-Nov-14 14:10:17

Only if it has been one of my date slices I've been eating because there are a lot of lovely oaty crumbs. Certain other crumby things I might dab up with a damp finger.

There's a chocolate mousse I sometimes have as a treat and I always want to lick the container out but it's too narrow.

When DDs 1 and 2 were at a guide camp (they weren't guides, too young, but I was a leader so they came with me) and had yogurts for pudding, they licked the lids after pulling them off. The other guide leader was horrified but I don't see why. There's nearly always some yogurt stuck to the lid. Why waste it. Tongues are more efficient than spoons.

Not yuck, especially if no-one's looking wink.

Lapwing Wed 26-Nov-14 14:20:12

I still lick the tops of yoghurt pots. blush

hildajenniJ Wed 26-Nov-14 14:39:17

So do I, and I have been known to lick the plate.blush

Ana Wed 26-Nov-14 14:50:13

I agree, licking any sort of lid is fine, and finger dabbing, but I'd never lick a plate. I might scrape it very hard with the spoon...

What did you have that was so irresistable, jingl?

Teetime Wed 26-Nov-14 14:54:26

Yes I'm a lid licker but that's all.

Ana Wed 26-Nov-14 14:57:51

'irresistible' hmm

gillybob Wed 26-Nov-14 15:00:23

There is a saying "Lick the lid of life".

It might mean that when you think things can't get any better they suddenly do, because you discover a big blob (in thatbags' case) of chocolate mousse stuck to the lid of the container. smile

or maybe you just can't get enough of something?

ffinnochio Wed 26-Nov-14 15:00:42

I've never been able to lick a plate successfully without getting sticky/grubby residue on nose, chin or dribbles onto my top.
Perhaps I should practice more often. wink
I find the quick swipe or dab of forefinger to mouth method more successful.

Not licking the tops of yogurt/mousse pots is wasteful. Very often the tastiest bits lurk there. smile

gillybob Wed 26-Nov-14 15:04:52

Baking chocolate cake with DGD (1) last week, she wiped the left over chocolately cake mixture out of the bowl using her whole hand ! She was covered in it but very happy with herself when she presented a clean bowl. Mind you she probably felt a bit sick but wouldn't admit it.

kittylester Wed 26-Nov-14 16:01:18

Never, what would the staff think! shock

ninathenana Wed 26-Nov-14 16:38:31

I didn't make it clear, that no, I don't lick plates. I do lick lids and have been known to run a finger round a bowl that's had a tasty desert in.

shysal Wed 26-Nov-14 17:40:21

I am a finger runner too if there is left over gravy or sauce on the plate. I live alone so can do as I please, even burping if I wish. I think if I licked the plate I would get a dirty nose, as I have what my mother described as a 'Princess Anne' conk!

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 26-Nov-14 17:47:25

OH! Actually, I use a spoon on a yogurt pot lid. [snooty sniff]

Ana anything eggy-bacony-cheesey-tomato-y does it for me.

#cantwastecaloriesonadiet

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 26-Nov-14 17:48:07

A quick swipe with the dishcloth fixes the end of the nose.

apricot Wed 26-Nov-14 18:34:01

Good grief! Someone else does it too! I'm amazed that Jingle should confess to such sluttish behaviour. I step away from the window and lick most of my plates. My mother taught me never to waste food but she'd turn in her grave if she knew.

grannyactivist Wed 26-Nov-14 18:38:11

As a child I always licked my plate after eating something I'd really enjoyed, as did my siblings. smile

tiggypiro Wed 26-Nov-14 18:40:19

One of the joys of living alone !

harrigran Wed 26-Nov-14 19:40:20

No because even if DH is out the cook, housekeeper or butler might walk in shock

rosequartz Wed 26-Nov-14 20:54:49

I am a finger swiper on occasion too, but not a licker!

specki4eyes Wed 26-Nov-14 22:54:37

When my boys were little they would always eagerly ask for the "lickers" after I had made a sponge cake. Said boys are now in their 40s. Some months ago they were both sitting at my kitchen table whilst I was baking. I scraped the bowl and the beaters clean and as usual my little dog was sitting at my feet looking up at me in anticipation. As I gave the dog his treat of left over cake mixture, I glanced at my two middle aged sons and the looks on their faces made me hoot with laughter - sheer, unadulterated jealousy!