Gransnet forums

Chat

Bagging a Black Friday bargain

(65 Posts)
Kiora Thu 27-Nov-14 22:24:51

Are any of you tempted to join in the apparent rush for bargains this Friday? I just think it's another ploy to get us to spend more money( I'm getting very cynical in my old age) I'd rather wait for the January sales when I'V recovered from Christmas.

Soutra Thu 27-Nov-14 22:29:38

I bagged a grey Thursday one today in JL- I have had my eye on a grey jacket by East for the last few weeks and today they had knocked 30% off the price(£110) so Santa came early and I got it for £77!! smile

janerowena Thu 27-Nov-14 22:35:23

Not at all. I get too stressed by xmas shopping as it is. It stresses me more and more as each year passes.

shysal Thu 27-Nov-14 22:38:09

I am all done. Did it all on line last week.

petallus Thu 27-Nov-14 22:43:51

If I wake in the early hours as usual I shall go online to see what bargains are about.

Kiora Thu 27-Nov-14 22:48:45

soutraenvy

grannyactivist Thu 27-Nov-14 23:54:28

I've grabbed a few bargains recently, mostly thanks to the lovely Martin Lewis' MSE site. Vax have an annual sale that I've been waiting for, so in the last month I bought myself a top of the range Vax carpet washer for less than £150 and my daughter bought me a £100 steam mop, plus extra cloths and detergent all for under £50 in the same sale. Both had 'damaged' boxes supposedly and that's why they were so cheap.
My mother would walk a mile to save sixpence and I'm the same; I just don't understand why people will pay full price for things automatically when, with just a little bit of research and sometimes a lot of patience, the same items can be bought for a fraction of the price. I had a list earlier in the year of what I wanted to buy online for Christmas gifts and some 'back up' items in case the ones I wanted couldn't be got in the sale and I've managed to get everything I hoped for all at reduced prices. I won't go into debt, so I try to spread the cost as much as possible and I try to buy things when they're on sale or I use a discount code. There are a few things that I accept I will have to pay the full price for, but not many. smile

petallus Fri 28-Nov-14 03:19:39

I did wake up in the early hours (as usual) and I've just finished looking at a few black Friday websites, particularly John Lewis.

Mainly electricals and the kind of things I wouldn't want anyway.

FlicketyB Fri 28-Nov-14 07:40:43

I am not prepared to demean myself by becoming a Black Friday Lemming.

Scooter58 Fri 28-Nov-14 07:43:32

Utter madness,my local asda has barriers,security guards and people sleeping in cats overnight,and its only a small local branch !!!

Scooter58 Fri 28-Nov-14 07:44:29

Sleeping in cars even !!!

Anne58 Fri 28-Nov-14 07:49:24

Just checked in case they had reduced my fridge freezer (I've already paid for it) and luckily they haven't, if you see what I mean?

soontobe Fri 28-Nov-14 08:00:12

Over the summer I waited months for a jacket to be reduced in price. And many clicks on sites.
The hassle was not worth the £ 30 or £50 I saved.

So no, Black Friday will not be seeing me.

I dont buy that many big ticket items in a year.
When I do, I am not generally prepared to wait and wait. I want to enjoy the moment then and there.

soontobe Fri 28-Nov-14 08:01:47

And that is true pheonix. I dont think you know for sure with a lot of items, whether they will be eventually reduced or not.

I will however, have a look on the internet a bit to compare prices, but that is my normal limit.

petallus Fri 28-Nov-14 08:19:10

It was all purple kettles and huge food mixers/nespresso type things when I looked in the early hours.

However a few days ago I bought a lovely wool coat, In Wear, for £9. 95 from a charity shop.

mollie65 Fri 28-Nov-14 08:19:18

have bought a few (sub £20) items on Amazon that would be useful but I always check the current selling price (not RRP) before they go into the black Friday mayhem as otherwise the %age off is very misleading shock
much prefer the end of the january/summer sales (or even Ebay) particularly for clothes (jeans and t shirts and dog walking clothes)
most of the 'bargains' seem to be 'not so much' and as for Qing and 'sleeping in cars' - nowt so strange as folk grin

Nelliemoser Fri 28-Nov-14 08:23:09

It has come too late for me following on my kitchen revamp. I have recently bought a new fridge and a cooker and I had to buy a new vacuum cleaner three weeks ago when the old one blew up.

I never seem to be in the right place at the right time.

I hope my ASDA is not like that. I am off as soon as I have eaten.

For change today I now have a cooker in the dining room instead of our grotty old fridge which was removed to the big fridge container at the tip recycling centre yesterday. That will be here until Currys come to connect it on Tuesday.

Greenfinch Fri 28-Nov-14 09:07:51

Tesco had reduced all their clothing by 25 per cent yesterday so I managed to get my grandson a Christmas jumper for Christmas Jumper Day (which is also another new invention to make money !) reduced from £10 to £7.50 .Not bad!

KatyK Fri 28-Nov-14 09:36:31

There has just been a warning on our local news that traffic is at a standstill around our local Asda confused

annodomini Fri 28-Nov-14 09:38:21

I'd never heard of 'Black Friday' until a few weeks ago, my American friend mentioned what chaos it caused. This morning I woke up to find that this 'tradition' had crossed the Atlantic. I was going to go to Stockport this morning but rapidly changed my mind and had an extra half hour in bed.

Lapwing Fri 28-Nov-14 09:41:58

annodomini you are not alone. My DH was listening to the radio this morning and asked me what this Black Friday was all about. Told him and he just rolled his eyes.

Lona Fri 28-Nov-14 09:42:09

The only thing I'll be bagging today is a large glass of red wine when I'm out having a delicious lunch!
I would rather stick pins in my eye lids than shop in the sales. Nothing is that important.

tanith Fri 28-Nov-14 09:58:45

I don't really know what it is apart from a sale... no shopping for me today.

Mishap Fri 28-Nov-14 10:04:39

I think that "rolling the eyes" is the most appropriate response!

Lapwing Fri 28-Nov-14 10:08:26

Mishap my DH is an expert when it comes to 'rolling his eyes' at the strange things that go on in this world. grin