Gransnet forums

Chat

What was he thinking of?!?

(41 Posts)
Katek Sun 14-Dec-14 21:10:56

SIL and dd turned up earlier today to collect DGS from his sleepover with us. Now bearing in mind we had lying snow yesterday and temp of 4c today....why was the SIL wearing shorts??

Ana Sun 14-Dec-14 21:12:40

Is he a postman?

tiggypiro Sun 14-Dec-14 21:15:19

Definitely must be a postman - mine is still in shorts.

Katek Sun 14-Dec-14 21:22:04

Nope...he's another of those engineers! Heavy weight Canterbury hoodie on the top and shorts on the bottom!

soontobe Sun 14-Dec-14 21:35:08

Make you shiver just thinking about it.

soontobe Sun 14-Dec-14 21:36:38

Admittedly though, I need to be wrapped up on the top half of me, and dont need to be anywhere near as warm on my bottom half.

thatbags Sun 14-Dec-14 22:03:36

Maybe it's the latest thing in Cool Doodism. Fashion's gotta hurt, y'know, or it aint real wink

Katek Sun 14-Dec-14 22:06:45

Plays/played rugby (has just ruptured biceps tendon), maybe it's part of the culture!

annodomini Sun 14-Dec-14 22:49:12

Were all his trousers in the wash/at the cleaner's?

Katek Sun 14-Dec-14 22:58:23

Haha annod!! He's shown various galoot (good Scot's word) tendencies over the years but freezing to death takes the biscuit!

absent Mon 15-Dec-14 01:22:09

It's not really any different from all the young women we used to see in Darlington on their way to Christmas and New Year parties wearing spaghetti-strap dresses or tops and minute skirts, no tights and strappy sandals with heels of Everest proportions. The only thick covering they had was spray tan. And it seems as if it always snows heavily in Darlington in the winter.

felice Mon 15-Dec-14 15:38:37

SO got yelled at by DD this lunchtime, when he was going to give our shared garden a quick tidy up with DGS, SO was just wearing shorts and old deck shoes. 5° here and drizzling too, DGS had taken one look at him climbing the stairs and started taking his clothes off, anything SO does DGS copies ( he doesn't see him often and adores him).

I was in the kitchen and hadn't seen him changing out of his work suit.
He really couldn't understand what the fuss was about.
MEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just assumed he was putting on old clothes plural.....

soontobe Mon 15-Dec-14 15:45:43

Cute.

glammanana Mon 15-Dec-14 15:47:19

DS1 has just left after picking up his birthday prezzie,he had been to lunch with fiancee wearing baggy knee length cargo shorts timberland boots and a hoodie topped with a trapper hat !! the mind boggles alright.

Marmight Mon 15-Dec-14 16:28:00

I followed my neighbour's son (11) down the road today - he was just off the school bus, wearing a short sleeved cotton shirt, long trews and not a jacket in sight, whereas I was in thick tweedy poacher's coat over a thick jumper, hat, gloves, scarf. etc...... It was 0*.I don't understand how they don't feel the cold tchconfused
I think we should have a snowflake emoticon wink

pompa Mon 15-Dec-14 17:06:00

In my teens I had a friend at Uni that would only wear a tee shirt until the end of December. When ask if he was cold, "Yes, but no way am I wearing anything else yet"

thatbags Mon 15-Dec-14 17:09:02

Boys used to wear short trousers all the time.

pompa Mon 15-Dec-14 17:11:56

Yes, and we had chapped legs as a result

Nonnie Mon 15-Dec-14 17:30:38

And the shorts were short! I loved little boys in short shorts.

Katek Mon 15-Dec-14 17:53:22

Glammanana.....that's pretty much what SIL was wearing apart from the trapper hat. We're in the NE of Scotland and the wind comes straight in off the North Sea direct from Norway! What few trees we have grow at a jaunty 45 degree angle - talk about blasted heath! And in the middle of it ... a bare legged SIL!!

My brothers had to wear the shorts all year round as well, and as I recall they were made of same material as their blazers. My youngest brother still has an aversion to 'jaggy trousers' and lives in his Rohans!

Iam64 Tue 16-Dec-14 08:55:40

So many men wear shorts or those pirate type mid calf length trousers WHY? it's not an attractive look in the summer and it looks worse in the cold and wet imo.
I wonder if its a desire to go back to childhood, when no doubt most of them couldn't wait to get out of short trousers and into long ones

Agus Tue 16-Dec-14 09:06:21

When I collected GDs from school yesterday I noticed two Dads chatting in the playground, one in a puffa jacket, beanie hat and scarf.....the other, shorts and polo shirt! Why?

annodomini Tue 16-Dec-14 09:16:04

Both DSs wear those calf-length 'shorts' in summer and I fervently hope that when I see them next week they'll both be sensibly dressed. I detest those mid-length 'shorts' but keep my lip firmly buttoned and hope that they outgrow their mid-life crises soon. tchgrin

feetlebaum Tue 16-Dec-14 09:45:42

Ah the dreaded clown trousers... funny on Eric Morecambe, plain bloody daft on most ordinary chaps.

Our postman explained that he wears them 'because when it rains (as it so often does) they don't get as wet as proper trousers (?) and they dry quicker'.

In my RAF days, in the middle East we had our KD shorts tailored to just short of indecent exposure...

whenim64 Tue 16-Dec-14 10:15:16

Don't grown men in long shorts and hoodies remind you of toddlers? grin