Gransnet forums

Chat

Now here's a thing!

(36 Posts)
PRINTMISS Thu 18-Dec-14 16:36:05

For some time now we have been considering getting hand rails for the steps leading up to our house, and a little while ago asked a local neighbour how much he would charge. We also consulted a professional supplier, but did nothing about any of that (typical of us). Shopping this morning we bumped into the neighbour and I mentioned that we would like him to do the hand rail for us sometime. When we arrived home, a hand-rail had been fitted! There was tinsel round it, and a written note on the step - DO NOT USE TODAY, and Merry Christmas. I took a walk up to our neighbours with a Christmas Card and a thank you note. He opened the door to me, looked a bit startled when I said about the steps, took the card and we chatted - as I walked down the path I stumbled a little, and he said 'oh! steady, more water!' (I don't drink!). About half an hour later he knocked on the door to see what I was talking about - he did not put the hand-rail up for us - and seriously thought I was drunk when talking to him - who can blame him! So who put the hand-rail up, who knew what measurements they needed, and it is exactly the one we wanted - who knew all those things. PERHAPS THERE REALLY IS A FATHER CHRISTMAS. We Certainly have one very bemused neighbour, and are totally bewildered.

merlotgran Thu 18-Dec-14 16:40:09

Ooooooer, Printmiss

Our porch needs repairing AND I'm going shopping tomorrow. What's the magic spell??

loopylou Thu 18-Dec-14 16:50:38

Wonder if somewhere else someone is waiting for a rail to be fitted!
We need a new front door........!

glammanana Thu 18-Dec-14 17:21:11

What a lovely surprise Printmiss maybe the Christmas Fairy had heard what you wanted and got her Elves to do it whilst you where out !!

Lona Thu 18-Dec-14 17:45:53

Ooh PRINTMISS I love things like that, it's magic of course!

rosesarered Thu 18-Dec-14 17:54:06

What a surprise for you! However, logic dictates it was somebody that you had talked to [or knew] that you needed a handrail. It was also somebody who knows you both well, so a friend, relative or neighbour [a prof. person would not have put up the tinsel or note.]I'm sure they will reveal themselves to you in due course, but what a nice thing to do.

apricot Thu 18-Dec-14 18:06:14

Never mind logic, I'd rather believe in magic as then I know I'll come home to find a new roof, the pointing done, the back wall repaired, my bedroom decorated, a conservatory added, a two-storey extension...
Hang on, I'm being greedy, aren't I?

Grannyknot Thu 18-Dec-14 18:15:07

Lovely, lovely story x

tiggypiro Thu 18-Dec-14 18:26:18

Obviously nice people have nice things happen to them ! What a lovely thing to come home to !

ninathenana Thu 18-Dec-14 18:55:30

Wow !! My guess is your neighbour did it but is denying it because he doesn't want payment. IF that's the case then yes there is a Father Christmas.

Kiora Thu 18-Dec-14 18:57:26

Humanity at its best. Renews your faith in goodness doesn't it

Mishap Thu 18-Dec-14 19:58:36

You can send whoever it was my way please!

merlotgran Thu 18-Dec-14 20:38:46

Be careful what you wish for. There might be a huge bill in the post tchgrin

Ana Thu 18-Dec-14 20:40:55

I thought that before, merlot, but didn't like to say...tchgrin

janerowena Thu 18-Dec-14 20:45:15

grin

I think you need to write a big notice, saying 'Father Christmas - Sorry I ever doubted you, Lots of Love Printmiss xxx' and attach it to the handrail.

PRINTMISS Fri 19-Dec-14 08:20:25

Oh! I am glad you all enjoyed the story. We shall ask our immediate neighbours if they saw a van of any sort, but we are rather secluded. Anyway, it is lovely.

TerriBull Fri 19-Dec-14 10:14:00

Wonderful story, perhaps it's "A Ghost of Christmas Past" , if not, hope you eventually find out who did the good deed PRINTMISS.

PRINTMISS Sat 20-Dec-14 08:26:09

Thought you might like an up-date! Had an e-mail yesterday from the Hand-rail people, telling us that the rail had been fitted and there was no charge. I wrote back, saying we were not sure where the gift came from as we had friends who might do something like that, but they were abroad on holiday, so could not ask them, or if it was a complimentary gift from them, (they company) we could not think why. Had an e-mail back saying that as they (the company) were over this way and they knew we were wanting a new hand-rail it was a complimentary gift - when they quoted, we thought the price was a bit high, so had not progressed with our dealings with them.
NOW do I complain and tell them the handrail is in the wrong place and making access to the garage very difficult? I think not.

baubles Sat 20-Dec-14 09:30:31

What a lovely story PRINTMISS I've never heard of any company being quite so philanthropic. Merry christmas to them tchsmile

MiniMouse Sat 20-Dec-14 09:39:46

How amazing! Never heard of that happening before. Good way of advertising or Spirit of Christmas?! tchwink Let's go for the latter! tchsmile

janerowena Sat 20-Dec-14 21:16:40

Goodness! How wonderful, tchsmile

PRINTMISS Fri 26-Dec-14 08:42:03

OH! Woe, the hand rail was put so that it is on the path, rather than the bottom step. We knew this would be a problem with getting the car in the garage (and out again), but thought we could cope, so did not want to complain about the good-will involved. However, we now have several hundred pounds-worth of damage to the wing, probably needs replacing, plus scratching, this was on the second 'outing'. We really feel that we cannot live with something which is so difficult to deal with every time we use the car, which is daily, so we are going to have to ask the people who fitted the rail to remove it. I know that sounds really ungrateful, but having thought of other ways of a sort of "warning system" that the car is too close to the railing, we have decided that it is just not possible. I am very upset about this.

dustyangel Fri 26-Dec-14 20:38:19

I'm so sorry PRINTMISS. What an expensive nuisance for you and a shame that you will have to tell the people who fitted it that their Christmas surprise misfired.
On the other hand they could have used their common sense and found out what you wanted and needed.
Maybe they will still be full of a Christmas good will change it for you. I hope so. tchsmile

PRINTMISS Fri 09-Jan-15 14:50:21

An up-date on this, we did eventually decide that we must get something done about the hand-rail. We had another scrape, but fortunately this will be added to the original claim. The Company who put the handrail in originally were of course closed the week after Christmas, but a phone call to them was so politely received, I was really sorry to have to ask them to remove the handrail. Not to worry, they said, when can we come to do something about it - a date was set, and two very nice young men came along, altered the handrail, and it is now perfect. No charge again. There is goodness in the world after all.

Ana Fri 09-Jan-15 14:57:19

Only last night I was thinking about your story and wondering how you got on, PRINTMISS. What wonderful service!