Gransnet forums

Chat

Soop's Special Kitcheners

(1000 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

soop Wed 31-Dec-14 14:08:13

Here we are again...happy as can be...all good pals and jolly good company. Slainte! wine

soop Wed 31-Dec-14 14:28:34

kitty...over here. Come on in and have a glass of something bubbly. tchgrin

soop Wed 31-Dec-14 14:30:26

I'm away to do a few jobs. Nothing too strenuous. I shall return at tea time. Make yourselves comfortable and enjoy the peace and quiet. (hugs)

Galen Wed 31-Dec-14 14:30:39

Jolly good! Whatho!
Now I've found it I'll settle quietly into the corner with my wool winder and telescopic wool holder and continue winding wool. Only anothe 14 hanks to go! tchhmm

Agus Wed 31-Dec-14 14:47:39

Just popping for a quick hello in the new kitchen. DD and I will be going shortly to collect our steak pies for tomorrow's lunch.

soop I don't think Matt could have chosen a better gift and I am sure it was very much appreciated.

See you all,later.

kittylester Wed 31-Dec-14 14:55:58

Heard you soop, thanks. I'm going to sit peacefully in here for a while. I've brought in some of the sample cakes DD is making to take to a potential customer. I think my favourite is pink champagne and rose - it's so delicate. cupcake

whenim64 Wed 31-Dec-14 14:59:04

Ah, there you all are - I was was trying to get in soop's old kitchen and it's been locked up tchgrin

Yes, this special kitchen looks just right for New Year's Eve - warm and welcoming, good company and something fizzy. Cheers wine

I've got pannetone here, some pesto bread rolls and can someone please eat some of these assorted nuts before I lose all control?

Back later to enjoy the peaceful atmosphere.

Soutra Wed 31-Dec-14 16:03:41

I have come to recover from the trauma of trying to get Grace into the car to go to kennels for a few nights as we are off to Bournemouth and the BSO New Year's Day gala concert tomorrow.
Oh why did we ever get a dog too big and heavy to lift?
After nearly having to cancel Christmas last week when we went through the same palaver I was loaned a ramp by the kennels as I thought her poor old back legs were playing up. Today she was having none of the ramp, completely spooked by it but eventually jumped into the car. Only thing was she seems to have cut her paw in the process and it bled copiously all over her bedding. Kennels owner has just rung me to say they have dressed it but if there are probs they will take her over to a vet in the morning to have it seen to. How guilty do I feel now?
I really would rather not cancel our trip as it is DH's annual "treat" but you dog owners will be giving me hard looks. sad

soop Wed 31-Dec-14 16:19:26

Welcome Galen I was hoping that you would settle down and behave be happy doing your own thing...no matter what that may be. I shall make a fresh pot of tea and pass a plate of delicacies, some donated by kitty for the tasting of.

Agus Is it true that steak pies are a traditional dish (in Scotland) for the first day of the new year? I'm almost certain that we're having salmon. And, of course, there remains the whopping joint of lamb that the butcher supplied for £29...when we'd asked for something costing £20. Ah well, I guess that we are extremely fortunate to have this particular joint for a rare treat. Rory seems to like it too.

Hello when...I almost burst into tears when, for a brief moment, I forgot how to start a new thread and so open the new kitchen. It was a moment of blankness. Don't laff, Galen, and then of course I was standing on the threshold and cutting the scarlet ribbon. Would you believe that in our cupboard is a huge unopened box of assorted nuts. Well there is. I love them with a passion. I dare not open them because I have a fear of not knowing when to stop. It's crazy! Self control goes to pot when confronted with chocolates (asked that none should be given) and nuts...hmm what a dilemma!

Bellasnana Wed 31-Dec-14 16:25:29

I see you have all moved into a new kitchen extension while I took my eye off the ball tchgrin

Sorry to hear about your dog, Soutra. Hopefully she will be fine and not need that trip to the vet's.

DH and I are having two nights in Gozo as we enjoyed it last New Year. Little did we know what was coming in the shape of DH's cancer diagnosis, but that is just as well really.

The weather here is bitterly cold. Never known it this chilly. Had to go out and buy myself a cosy coat and a warm hat for DH, but it has been sunny and we have enjoyed our day.

Out for dinner tonight but won't be staying out late so will be tucked up in bed by midnight tchgrin

Wishing all you dear kitcheners and Gransnetters a happy and healthy 2015, and thank you all for your support flowers

soop Wed 31-Dec-14 16:30:14

Soutra dear , my heart goes out to you. I can well imagine how awful you must have felt when Grace injured her paw. She will be well looked after, I'm sure. I trust that you and Mr Soutra will enjoy the treat. MacS and I attended a performance given by the BSO in Plymouth (some years ago) it was marvellous. Ashkenazy was a member of the audience. Have a lovely time. You'll be coming home to Grace before too long.

We are looking forward to the Vienna P O performance on the telivion tomorrow.

soop Wed 31-Dec-14 16:30:40

television. blush

soop Wed 31-Dec-14 16:43:06

Bella Perfect! I'm sure that you and Mr Bella will enjoy your return to Gozo. You certainly have had a year of trials and tribulations to deal with. I've said so before but I must repeat that you are an inspiration to many of your Granspals who have their own share of problems of one kind and another.

When MacSporran and I were last with the haematologist, she said...go away and live life to the full... from hereon routines will change. We intend doing just that. Thank you for being the certain someone who has been there when I needed you. sunshine

Soutra Wed 31-Dec-14 16:44:03

Thank you for "absolution" bellasnana and soop. You have to seize the moment don't you? Gozo sounds lovely and I hope it brings you a happier start to the new year than you have had recently. DH started going to the BSO regularly on Wednesdays when he spent 7 years working away from home Mon-Fri and sometimes he would be on call over New Year in exchange for getting Christmas off so I would go down and spend a couple of days at his flat, We would go out to dinner at a restaurant called Splinters in the shadow of Christchurch Abbey which was lovely and then on NY day we would go to the Viennese concert. Nice to (re)create happy memories when you can.

numberplease Wed 31-Dec-14 16:59:13

Soutra, I hope that Grace`s foot will be alright, but placid being in their nature, I`m sure she won`t hold anything against you.
Lovely new kitchen Soop, love the restful décor.
Galen, you`re bringing back memories of sitting for ages, with aching arms, holding the hanks of wool whilst my mother wound it into balls!

soop Wed 31-Dec-14 17:22:41

The memory certainly is a very happy one, Soutra

We are about to light the fire and possibly a few candles. MacSporran has selected some beautiful music from his archive. The cats will be fed. The blinds drawn. Tonight we shall remain in our own home. I am sending you all my warmest wishes for a bright new year.

Thank you for all your support and friendship throughout 2014. I bless the day I joined Gransnet. flowers

soop Wed 31-Dec-14 17:24:10

tchsmile for *number xxx

annodomini Wed 31-Dec-14 17:31:05

I'm sure the rest of us also bless the day you joined Gransnet, soop - such a great hostess in your updated kitchen.
As I'll be out tonight visiting friends, I'll take the opportunity to wish all my fellow kitcheners a very happy and healthy New Year.

Lona Wed 31-Dec-14 17:50:33

Soutra I seem to remember that dogs' paws usually bleed all over the show, so I'm sure Grace will be loving the attention!
Enjoy your evening, it sounds as though it will be wonderful envy

Bella Glad that you're enjoying your chilly trip, I do hope the next year will bring some relief from all the angst you've had to contend with this year.

I may pop back later (Heaven knows I'm not doing anything exciting!) but if I fall by the wayside fat chance, I wish all our lovely kitcheners a very happy, healthy and prosperous new year sunshine

And for soop, a rousing chorus of For she's a jolly good fellow, and so say all of us!, much love xxx

Galen Wed 31-Dec-14 18:44:27

Much love, hugs, kisses and very best wishes to all our fellow kitcheners!
Thanks for all your sympathy, tolerance and support throughout the last year.
I bless the day darling daughter suggested I join GN, it's been a sanity preserver!

kittylester Wed 31-Dec-14 18:49:03

Lots of love from me for all kitcheners - I echo Galen, the gentle support in here is invaluable! Happy New Year!! wine

Grannyknot Wed 31-Dec-14 18:51:39

Hi everyone! I thought I'd best squeeze in whilst there's still space, but then again with all the comings and goings and poppings of ins and outs, there's always room for one more tchsmile - (all together now) in the kitchen!

All the very best for everyone for the New Year. My first challenge is to stay awake till its arrival tchgrin

Agus Wed 31-Dec-14 19:15:18

Oh When please keep those nuts away from me. I have already been making my way through a supply of Brazil and cashew nuts!

Poor Grace. It will give you peace of mind knowing that she is being well looked after and taken to a vet, which I'm sure won't be necessary. It's true, so much blood coming from a small wound in dogs does make it look a lot worse.

soop I don't know if the tradition of steak pie for Hogmanay/Ne'erday is as common as it once was but it is one I continue with, plus, I love steak pie. smile

A well deserved jaunt away for you and DH both Bella. I'm sure you will have a lovely time in Gozo.

Had a nice treat this afternoon. My neighbour's son is a piper, and a very good one. Whilst rehearsing today, he played The Dark Island, which he knows is one of my favourites. I'll give him a cuddle tomorrow when our families meet up for a toast. smile

GigiGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 31-Dec-14 19:26:58

Evening everyone wine It's my first NYE on Gransnet and I'll be here all evening (or at least until I can keep my eyes open!).

And in case I neglect to say it - wishing you all a very warm, peaceful and laughter filled 2015.
Gigix

Soutra Wed 31-Dec-14 19:50:20

My favourite is Highland Cathedral! Both my uncle and late cousin Ian used to play in the town Pipe Band and the sound (skirl) of the pipes just sends shivers down my spine!

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion