Gransnet forums

Chat

You car....

(51 Posts)
ninathenana Sat 24-Jan-15 10:27:26

Is it tidy inside ?
You could write your name in the dust on the dash and I might have the odd empty soft drinks bottle now and then but it's basically ok.
DD gave me a lift on Wednesday and I was shock by the state of the inside of her car. I could easily have filled a carrier bag with rubbish from the foot wells and door pockets.

glammanana Sat 24-Jan-15 10:35:19

Mine is quite tidy inside and I do wipe over the dash etc when I remember,it is a small car (audi TT) and has smaller back seats so not to much space really for rubbish but go into the boot and you will find all manner of stuff,carrier bags shoes dog leads wellies etc.

Ariadne Sat 24-Jan-15 10:40:25

When I was working, and commuting, mine was like a mobile wardrobe! I live far enough away from where I worked, and over the Downs, for the weather to be completely different in each place, and, leaving at 6.00 a.m meant I had to be prepared for all eventualities.

Now, it is quite tidy. What with the operations this year, I haven't driven much, so I suppose I have been messing up Theseus' car..

vampirequeen Sat 24-Jan-15 11:00:00

Betty is quite tidy Monday to Friday. Weekends go to pot a bit lol.

She's cleaned inside every couple of weeks and washed more or less every week.

Jane10 Sat 24-Jan-15 11:06:02

Oh dear. Never cleaned and never washed!! I just get a new one when the old one silts up!! (kidding). Our neighbour, a caricature of a man, you could set your watch by the time he washed his car each day, actually became so distressed by the state of my car that he offered to wash it for me. Naturally, I refused his offer and never did clean mine. I am a bad person.

ninathenana Sat 24-Jan-15 11:21:45

Audi TT very glam glamma envy

Brendawymms Sat 24-Jan-15 11:27:09

Used to change my car when they needed cleaning also grin
Now retired wait until car really dirty and take it to hand car wash. The inside is a nightmare.

KatyK Sat 24-Jan-15 11:34:42

I haven't got a car! Can't drive. DH keeps his (our) car pristine. We don't use it often to be honest now that we have bus passes!

annodomini Sat 24-Jan-15 12:04:32

So I am not alone in being a car slob! I am planning to replace it when I can find one I like so I will have to clean it out sooner or later. It does get valeted and washed once a year, in August, when it has its MOT.

tanith Sat 24-Jan-15 12:17:51

Mine has no rubbish in it its tidy if a little dusty.. the outside gets cleaned about 2/3 in a year.. I can't abide a mess anywhere..

Greyduster Sat 24-Jan-15 12:19:28

It is at the moment, because we went yesterday to have it valued for part ex, so, for once, the boot was not filled with walking boots and poles, waterproofs, fishing gear, footballs, scooters, bottles of water - and mud! The sweets our DGS regularly manages to spill on the floor when we pick him up from school are not sticking to the mats in the back and the door compartments are not full of Aldi leaflets. It can't last of course.

grumppa Sat 24-Jan-15 12:38:55

No rubbish but mud everywhere, inside and out, owing to location of DGS's scbool. Garage cleans it at its annual service.

crun Sat 24-Jan-15 12:48:24

When I scrapped my car it had been stood unused on the drive for 9 years, by which time the boot was full of rainwater and the inside covered in mould. At one time there was grass growing out of the carpet.

I never much liked washing the car in freezing weather, so it usually ended up looking like this. It might have been a lot cleaner if I'd had one of these to clean it, though.

Teetime Sat 24-Jan-15 12:52:19

Pristine in and out - even with muddy golf trolleys several times a week. Thanks to DH - no credit to me I'm a car wash/car valet fiend but he does it all by hand.

Katek Sat 24-Jan-15 13:18:07

Veeeeery nice Glamma!! Lovely car. My car is only 4 months old so is still pretty tidy. Front mats are currently covered in grit from council's road and pavement treatments, but a quick vacuum is on this weekend's to do list. It's pale cream (who's an idiot) so I'm in the car wash every week. (well me and the car) I hate stuff in door pockets-just have window scraper and shammy on driver's side.

dogsdinner Sat 24-Jan-15 15:19:24

My ancient camper is full of sand, crisp wrappers etc. Daren't wash it think the mud is holding it together, but the kids love it as it is. Nevertheless less I am jealous of Glamma....

harrigran Sat 24-Jan-15 15:56:47

Pristine most of the time thanks to Mercedes dealer, every time it goes in for the slightest tweak it gets a thorough valet smile

Marmight Sat 24-Jan-15 15:59:14

My car is disgusting - covered in salt and mud and the inside is almost as bad from people's muddy, wet feet and the boot is full of 'stuff'. I will get it washed and valeted next week before I go away. It's a 4WD and the muck kicks up onto the rear window. I would seriously think again before replacing it with the same model - obviously a design fault, unless the driver wants to appear "huntin', shootin' 'n fishin' " which I don't wink

glammanana Sat 24-Jan-15 16:11:19

ninathenana not so much glamm nina but more the fact I always wanted one and when we came back here to UK there where no school runs to do and no full-time work so I got my wish,its 6 yrs old now so not a new one and I doubt very much if I will ever get a new one again,in this lifetime anyway but I do love it,it's all mine I don't believe in sharing.
dogsdinner we had an old blue VW Campervan when the kids where young and went all over UK & Continent in it,it was brilliant and it served us well from transporting canoes/bikes/kids in pushchairs/highchairs you name it that van moved it,with my little car now although it is lovely to look at it has none of the character of that Campervan.

FarNorth Sat 24-Jan-15 20:01:25

So I'm not the only slob who never washes the car. Wow!!
I did actually give the outside a wash a couple of months ago and it looked a lot better - surprise.
Inside I have a couple of small boxes (from Grapenuts) in the door pockets for sweet wrappers etc and any bigger bits of rubbish get taken out of the car asap, but the floor is a mess from mud & grit.

merlotgran Sat 24-Jan-15 20:11:51

My Hyundai 4x4 is a bit of a tip inside at this time of the year as the dog guard is permanently in place and the back seat is full of spare coats, scarves, shopping bags and various bits of fishing tackle (DH).

We live at the end of a very muddy farm road so the poor car will have to wait until the weather changes before it gets a 'makeover'

I usually manage to keep it clean and tidy throughout the summer though.

Nelliemoser Sat 24-Jan-15 20:25:06

Mine is right mess! It is coated in road salt after going twice over snowy hills to see DGS. The windscreen and back window are caked in salt and nearly opaque on the parts that the screen wipers and the washer spray does not reach.

If I want it cleaned I have to do it myself.

It is full of leaves from autumn and the usual odds and ends that lurk in the back of a car.
I did remove OHs plumbing tools last night before going out today.

It's been too damn cold to do anything about it in the last couple of weeks.

My excuse and I am sticking to it.

Juliette Sat 24-Jan-15 20:52:08

Slum on wheels here but it's my slum and I love it smile

etheltbags1 Sat 24-Jan-15 21:19:28

my little Freda is a tip, had my last car from new for 12 years and the last 6 years I never bothered to clean it until I traded it in for the new one. I just have no room to put things, rubbish gets thrown on the floor and the glove compartment has an array of unposted letters, broken cds and leaflets etc etc, the boot is quite empty as DGD buggy lives there and normally my work stuff. What can I say, I just don't like cleaning but I will have to as my health may suffer if I don't at the minute. Normally in the summer I warn anyone getting a lift that there may be something biting them if they are brave enough to get in.lol

suzied Sat 24-Jan-15 21:40:43

I love going to those car wash places staffed by ( mainly) Eastern Europeans , where about 6 of them descend on your car and give it a thorough wash, dry polish, inside and out in about 10 minutes. Amazing, costs £10 but would take me a couple of hours to do, and it wouldn't be so good.