Gransnet forums

Chat

Stormy weather

(24 Posts)
Katek Mon 26-Jan-15 08:54:01

Has anyone else seen/heard anything about a predicted Arctic storm heading our way next week? Posts starting to filter through on FB about it and apparently it's in a couple of newspapers.

Greyduster Mon 26-Jan-15 09:06:07

I had heard that we were supposed to have much colder weather toward the end of this week, but having just looked at our local paper, here in South Yorkshire we should be up to our knees in snow at the moment, and there is no sign of it. On line weather forecasts are conflicting to say the least. At the moment they are all saying something different for the next ten days. I hate the bloody winter.

Nelliemoser Mon 26-Jan-15 09:06:39

Look at the Met office warnings rather than the newspapers. I think a lot of bad weather is due around Thursday but its not always possible to predict accurately at this stage.

www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/cold-weather-alert/#?tab=coldWeatherAlert

vampirequeen Mon 26-Jan-15 10:01:51

I go to the met office website for accurate information. The media love weather horror stories and play up the worst case scenario.

MrsPickle Mon 26-Jan-15 13:34:20

I am supposed to be going to Birmingham in Thursday (driving) and staying till Sunday. Watching the forecast closely.
The beeb does tend to catastophise things!

loopylou Mon 26-Jan-15 13:41:49

Oh bum.......keeping fingers crossed doesn't hit here, too many car trips to make this week hmm

FlicketyB Mon 26-Jan-15 13:56:45

The weather forecasts have been so inaccurate recently I will only believe it when I see it.

For the past month the met office has promised snow - and temperatures have been +5 degrees, then promised warm weather and one night last week it was -7 degrees.

hildajenniJ Mon 26-Jan-15 14:02:33

Yes indeed FlicketyB, where is our promised snow. We had a sprinkling last week but nothing more.
The weather forecast is usually quite inaccurate for this part of the country. I tend to take each day as it comes.

Retiredguy Mon 26-Jan-15 15:06:09

Brrrrrr.
Doesn't look good does it?
Fingers crossed that the Met Office has got it wrong.

Nelliemoser Mon 26-Jan-15 15:09:43

Be kind to the forecasters. They get into trouble if they don't warn people of possible severe weather and weather systems are by nature quite chaotic.
The infamous "We are not going to have a hurricane" remark, was to a forecaster correct. A hurricane is a phenomenom that behaves in particular way. What we had in 1987 was a storm with winds moving at the forces seen in hurricanes.

The problem in Britain is that lots of people do not heed or listen out for weather warnings or they drive out unprepared.

I most certainly do at this time of year. I am due to cross the Peak District to baby sit DGS on Friday.
Our local roads over the hills quite easily become blocked by snow in a storm.
The bad weather could well put a stop to that. and one of DDs chances for a night out before the next baby arrives. She will be gutted if this one is stopped.

granjura Mon 26-Jan-15 16:09:13

White out here, snowing very heavily but soft powder snow.

rubysong Mon 26-Jan-15 18:36:32

Good luck to any GNetters or their families on the east coast of America. They are forecast a huge snow storm.

Coolgran65 Tue 27-Jan-15 02:32:33

My son went to New York on Sunday for a work conference week. He is fortunate that hotel and business are near hand each other and says that so far all is grand and he's having a ball. Whatever happens he will be well looked after but best wishes to those in New York in more difficult circumstances.

grannyactivist Tue 27-Jan-15 10:45:51

One of my sisters was due to fly home from New York today, but as she's a Purser with BA she's going nowhere. She's with other crew members in a lovely hotel and popped out yesterday to top up what she describes as 'room snacks', so she's prepared to be snowed in for a few days until the flights resume.
My other sister is a workaholic who travels a lot in her job and has only recently returned to work after an extended sick leave. She's stuck in her apartment in Connecticut with snow already covering her tyres and her apartment supervisor has warned of the very real possibility of power cuts. She has enough food and a good torch, but I know that after 24 hours she'll be going stir crazy if the power goes off and she has no access to the internet. As in New York, there is also a road curfew in place.

PRINTMISS Tue 27-Jan-15 10:55:03

We do sometimes seem to get the tail end of any bad weather that hits that part of America. Let's just hope it fades away before it reaches us.

loopylou Tue 27-Jan-15 10:58:19

Keeping my fingers very firmly crossed it misses us, I hate driving in ice and snow.....

annodomini Tue 27-Jan-15 11:33:02

Latest news is that the blizzards are not as bad as forecast.

FlicketyB Tue 27-Jan-15 12:02:41

Well, the weather forecast said the weather today would be like yesterday's, temperatures around 9 - 10 degrees, so we woke up to temperatures on 0 degrees and it has barely reached 5.

With freezing temperatures forecast for tomorrow I confidently expect a heat wave.

loopylou Tue 27-Jan-15 12:48:07

Just washed filthy car so definitely will rain hmm!

grannyactivist Tue 27-Jan-15 13:06:16

Twenty two inches of snow has fallen in Connecticut where my sister is and she says it's still snowing. The current estimate is for at least thirty inches today. She still has power and says the snow is very fine and powdery and therefore isn't causing difficulties with the power lines. smile

loopylou Tue 27-Jan-15 13:11:40

Very thankful I'm not there smile brrrrr!

annodomini Tue 27-Jan-15 13:35:14

It seems to be New York and New Jersey that have been spared the worst of the snow - another matter in New England.

Marmight Tue 27-Jan-15 14:32:49

That's all I need. It's supposed to be quite bad here in Scotland and the North of England tomorrow and Thursday and then becoming very cold and moving southwards. Typical, I need to get to the airport on Friday to fly south to DD and am then out of Heathrow on Sunday. I have a farmer friend lined up with his 4x4 just in case. Looks horrible in the US. I have a friend living near Boston who went out to stock up on English chocolate (not importing it any more after today) while everyone else was stocking up on milk, bread etc.... Well, one must get one's priorities right wink

FlicketyB Tue 27-Jan-15 16:16:06

It is something to remember the next time the US government are sounding off about free trade; that Hersheys and Nestle can stop anybody else importing European versions of their chocolate products because the chocolate on them is better quality than that in home produced products!