Gransnet forums

Chat

Flipping frozen shoulder - any remedies?

(55 Posts)
kittylester Sat 31-Jan-15 15:34:28

I had a frozen shoulder about 5 years ago and didn't realise that they get better over two years whether you treat them or leave them alone. confused I spent a fortune on physiotherapy and sure enough, two years later, it was better!!

Anyway, it's back! angry I've found some exercises on the internet and I'm taking painkillers etc and using voltarol. Does anyone have any other suggestions? And, is it likely to keep occurring? And, if so, can I do anything to prevent it? And, what causes it?

loopylou Sat 31-Jan-15 15:40:48

Miserably painful kittylester, you have my sympathy.
I tore a rotator cuff in my left shoulder and it took quite a while to heal, but no consolation for you......hmm

soontobe Sat 31-Jan-15 15:43:14

Heck.
I had it for the 2 years about 8 years ago.
Didnt know it can come back.

I did find physio useful though. Very useful.
The only other thing I used was heat. Direct and indirect heat.

I was told by my doctor that half his patients who have it, dont have any idea what caused it[I am one of those], and half do.

The only thing I do, is if I do feel my shoulder getting cold, I rush to keep it heated. So far, so good, but I dont know if that is through luck or judgement.

I think if I remember correctly I was offered injections for it. I declined.
If I had it again, I might say yes. But as you say, most seem to take 2 years to get better whatever is done, so I might still say no.

Agus Sat 31-Jan-15 15:56:38

In your position kitty I wouldn't hesitate to have a cortisone injection.

I suffer from calcification tendonitis in both shoulders. The pain is unbearable and I really could not function without the instant relief I feel once I have had my injection.

tanith Sat 31-Jan-15 16:18:51

I had frozen shoulder through an injury it lasted 18mths. I agree its excrutiating and nothing helped with the pain. Gently using the joint even though it hurts is what finally helped mine improve, stretching it to increase the range of movement and applying cold to it after excercising. I went to a chiropracter for only one session and using the excercises he advised I was able to eventually recover full use of the arm.

It can also be caused by over use too, or a chronic condition such as diabetes or even a stroke. I will get better but also it can recur.. I guess just being careful not to over use a shoulder that has been affected in the past is the best way to avoid a return.

Agus Sat 31-Jan-15 16:26:17

Calcific. Blooming spellcheck!

Grannyknot Sat 31-Jan-15 16:27:30

Does a frozen shoulder actually get cold? I thought the "frozen" referred to an inability to move it confused

tanith Sat 31-Jan-15 17:00:29

No it doesn't actually feel cold AFAIK (mine never has), its the inability to move that the 'frozen' refers to.

kittylester Sat 31-Jan-15 17:16:04

Thanks for all your comments. I noticed my shoulder start to hurt this morning and took painkillers but it is just getting worse and is now in my neck and down to the fingers of my left hand. I'm left handed and I think it may be related to having DD and the children here - both the stress and the lifting!! grin The first time was while I was looking after DD1's children after she went back to work. Just and old crock - that's me!! sad

Mishap Sat 31-Jan-15 17:17:24

Yes - for me a cortisone injection has brought instant relief in the past.

Eloethan Sat 31-Jan-15 17:26:26

In March last year I missed a step on the stairs and stepped out into thin air, falling very heavily on my front with my right arm taking the impact. My husband said it was OK - nothing was broken (he used to be a nurse).

So I soldiered on for a few months, finding it difficult to hangs clothes on the line, undo my bra and put my coat on. Eventually I saw my GP and had an x-ray and MRI scan - diagnosis: chipped bone and fluid on the joint. It seems that the description of "frozen shoulder" is a generic term that refers to any discomfort of immobility, whatever the cause.

I had a steroid injection (doctor said "I'll do my best not to hurt you" - which made me think it was going to be agony but it was just mildly uncomfortable). It didn't immediately make much difference but after a while seemed to have eased it a bit.

Went to the physiotherapist who prescribed several exercises (some of which I did - but not three times a day!). I found that manipulation by the physiotherapist helped much more. I then went back to an old exercise tape that I'd used several years ago (Rapid Results - Beverly Callard - "Liz" in Coronation Street). Just jumping around to music and keeping mobile seemed to help a lot.

Now, I can do up my bra, hang out the washing and get into my coat. My shoulder is still slightly uncomfortable but it doesn't stop movement.

I think the injection helped , and the manipulation, and the exercise. Hopefully kitttylester it will eventually get back to normal.

soontobe Sat 31-Jan-15 17:42:27

Mine did Grannyknot.
It got very gradually colder over a period of about 3 months. I did particularly notice at first, but when it got to springtime, I sort of noticed it a lot more. Which was when I went to the doctors. If I had realised what was happening, I would have gone far sooner. Not sure if it would have made much difference though.

Greyduster Sat 31-Jan-15 18:08:41

I have had one since October and have my first session with the physio on Thursday. Certain sudden movements leave me in agony and changing gear in the car is painful, but DH does most of the driving. I feel most of the pain halfway down my upper arm, but doc says it is definitely a frozen shoulder.

shysal Sat 31-Jan-15 18:12:12

I sustained a shoulder injury through lying on my back supporting a GC above me playing 'rollercoasters'. It took just over a year to clear up. At the same time a friend also had a frozen shoulder and went through physio and injections, whereas I just soldiered on. We both recovered at about the same time, proving your theory Kitty. I have had no recurrence during the dozen or so years since, so hope this will be the last time for you.
Last autumn I had a painful knee injury which is also better after 14 months.

numberplease Sat 31-Jan-15 18:12:17

Cortisone injections worked for me.

janerowena Sat 31-Jan-15 20:42:50

Cortisone didn't work for me. In fact I completely lost the use of my fingers afterwards.

My frozen should was caused by continually carrying a very heavy shoulderbag, combined with always having done all the decorating in our houses over the years. I tried various treatments, but in the end all that worked was no longer allowing my family to use me as a packhorse, and no more decorating. That was almost 20 years ago, and I have had no problems since then. It was awful at the time though.

Mishap Sat 31-Jan-15 20:45:55

Poor execution jane - you need a doctor experienced in these injections to get them in exactly the right place. Sorry yours did not work.

grandma60 Sat 31-Jan-15 20:54:34

I have had my frozen shoulder since last September after having a fall. Didn't go to the doc until December when I started to get pain in my right arm as well due to over use. Probably carrying Christmas shopping! A scan showed there is fluid on the joint. I am having an Xray in a couple of weeks to check for damage to the bone. I hope they can do something. The worse thing is getting dressed and hair washing.

glammanana Sat 31-Jan-15 20:59:17

Aquapuncture was the only thing that helped for me kitty I also have a worn out rotary cuff to the right shoulder relief is given when needed by injection,I have no strength in my right arm and make sure I never carry anything in that hand,rest is so important and when in bed bump yourself up with extra pillows so you have no sudden movement.

Marelli Sat 31-Jan-15 21:18:34

Had cortisone injection in my right shoulder over a year ago for the first time and it worked like a miracle! A couple of months ago upper arm started to seize up again - struggling to put coat on, fasten bra, lift arm up or away to the side, etc. Was given another injection and although it seemed to help a good bit to start with, it's seizing up again. There's only one GP in our practice that can do the injection and he said that although they can be given when necessary the steroid can thin the bone, so it's not advisable to have it done too often. Painkillers don't do much for it, unfortunately.

Deedaa Sat 31-Jan-15 21:35:13

I've had it for 6 or 7 years, ever since I painted the bathroom door! It was almost cured by manipulation by a private physio, but once DH had to give up work I couldn't afford it anymore and it just deteriorated again. NHS physio is no good at all, they just don't have the time.

Tegan Sat 31-Jan-15 22:30:09

That reinforces my belief that the way to a long, healthy, painfree life is to be a couch potato.

Coolgran65 Sat 31-Jan-15 22:49:12

My friend had great relief for a frozen shoulder from cortisone injection.
I had one for hip pain and found some relief - it was still worth while.....doctor told me it is important to hit the spot, or it can be a waste of time.

numberplease Sat 31-Jan-15 22:55:16

I was told that you can`t have more than 2 cortisone injections in a year. I had 2 in 3 moonths, but no more problems till recently, but most of the pain now is in my neck.

numberplease Sat 31-Jan-15 22:55:38

Even 3 months!