Gransnet forums

Chat

Jerusalem.....

(53 Posts)
Katek Fri 06-Mar-15 22:27:07

Heard this sung recently and found myself a little confused. I'm sure we used to sing 'I will not cease from mental strife' and now it seems to be 'mental fight' Am I misremembering or did the word get changed?

Ana Fri 06-Mar-15 22:41:00

'I will not cease from mental fight,
Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand,
Till we have built Jerusalem
In England's green and pleasant land.'

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 06-Mar-15 22:41:20

I thought it was 'strife'. but look at this confused

Ana Fri 06-Mar-15 22:41:49

(Sorry, meant to add written by William Blake)

Katek Fri 06-Mar-15 22:46:36

That's why I'm confused, it wouid appear to be 'fight' but I'm so sure we sang 'strife' at school.

merlotgran Fri 06-Mar-15 22:47:12

I've sung both. I've always thought it was either or.

rubylady Fri 06-Mar-15 23:01:06

This was our school's song and I have loved it since. I sing with gusto on Last Night of the Proms, something the new neighbours don't know yet. grin

Marmight Fri 06-Mar-15 23:14:04

It was DDs' school song. DD1 had it at her wedding which was a trifle difficult as she was married in Scotland blush. I love it - it always gives me a good feeling.....

rubysong Fri 06-Mar-15 23:30:18

We sing 'fight' at WI.

numberplease Fri 06-Mar-15 23:37:45

It was our school song as well, and we sang "fight".

Anne58 Fri 06-Mar-15 23:42:15

The answer to the question posed within the hymn is probably "No"

Jane10 Sat 07-Mar-15 07:12:51

I absolutely can't stand 'Jerusalem'! Don't know quite why -something about the words "and did those feet? etc demands the answer "No. Don't be silly"! Sorry everyone. Now Cwm Rhondda -that's another matter. I love belting that one out. Bread of heaven anyone?

petallus Sat 07-Mar-15 07:20:56

We sang fight.

Anya Sat 07-Mar-15 07:34:29

Poor, beleaguered Jerusalem. Who'd want to recreate it in England? hmm

Nelliemoser Sat 07-Mar-15 07:38:44

To me the words mental strife sounds a lot better musically than mental "fight".
It puts more alliterative "S" sounds into the verse.

I will not Cease from mental Strife,
Nor shall my Sword Sleep in my hand"

Sorry Mr W Blake I don't think you got that quite right first time.

It might have been changed by whoever set it to music.

Nelliemoser Sat 07-Mar-15 07:55:46

Anya "Poor, beleaguered Jerusalem??" do you mean the actual city or the hymn/poem?

Falconbird Sat 07-Mar-15 08:09:54

We sing Jerusalem at Towns Women's Guild.

It all makes me tearful because it sums life up so well. Blake along with many others believed that Jesus came to Glastonbury which could explain the "mountains green" because of the Tor.

Pretty sure it's "Mental Fight" which makes more sense than "strife" because Blake was very religious and was always struggling to keep his equilibrium for want of a better word.

Falconbird Sat 07-Mar-15 08:15:53

PS. A brilliant book about William Blake is Burning Bright by Tracey Chevalier. It's a light but informative read.

gillybob Sat 07-Mar-15 08:17:43

We sang this in grammar school although I didn't (and still don't ) understand it. Would anyone care to explain please? [ignoramous emoticon]

Falconbird Sat 07-Mar-15 08:28:00

I studied Blake at Uni but it's all a bit of a blur now.

Basically Jerusalem is a song against industrialisation "dark satanic mills" Blake was a fascinating character and saw visions of angels when he was a child. You can always Google Blake - lots about him there.

This thread has got my aging brain working again smile Thanks Katek.

Jane10 Sat 07-Mar-15 08:58:54

Just sounding worse and worse the more you try to explain it! Maybe your emotional response is more to the music as the words don't make sense

Lilygran Sat 07-Mar-15 09:09:39

Thanks for the link, jingl. Very interesting!

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 07-Mar-15 09:18:11

I always thought it was a rather ridiculous question (whilst loving the song) but then I read that there is a strong possibility of Jesus having been brought to these islands as a youngster, by his uncle, Joseph of Aramethea.

Who knows?

Gagagran Sat 07-Mar-15 10:09:27

If you google Glastonbury on wikipaedia Jings - it gives more on this story. I think there's a thorn tree there which is supposed to have been planted by Joseph of Aramethea during the visit with Jesus.

janeainsworth Sat 07-Mar-15 10:16:14

Jings I thought that was the connection too.
Jane 10 Jerusalem was my school song too. My grandmother worked in those dark satanic mills, and the song made me profoundly grateful that I wasn't born in the 1880s and that life presented me with so many opportunities.