Gransnet forums

Chat

Granny too soon

(254 Posts)
grannyactivist Wed 18-Mar-15 05:26:58

My daughter has just called from New Zealand with news that my granddaughter was born two hours ago at 27 weeks gestation. She weighs just under a kilo and is now in NICU. I'm shaking with shock and frustration - she's so far away and all I want to do is get on a plane and go and hug my baby.
I'm on my way to Manchester as my mum goes into hospital for her cancer op today so I'm staying overnight at my sister's. The household is asleep and I've rarely missed my husband more than I do right now - he's in Newcastle and both his phones go straight to voicemail. sad

kittylester Wed 18-Mar-15 06:12:46

Huge ((( hugs))), Ga! I can't offer anything else but I will be thinking of you today! Please let us know how things go. flowers

loopylou Wed 18-Mar-15 06:17:06

Congratulations grannya, I do hope everything goes well are for your mother and the new tiny GD. No wonder you're shocked and very torn between supporting your mother and naturally wanting to be with your daughter, so hard. ((Hugs)) and flowers and thinking of you x

absent Wed 18-Mar-15 06:17:20

ga I know just how you feel and my heart goes out to you. My elder granddaughter was a tiny premature baby and I was thousands of miles away from NZ in the UK – just a couple of weeks after my mum and father-in-law died on the same day. Family troubles always seem to come at once. It will be horribly hard over the next few weeks and the photographs will be no comfort as all you can really see are the machines and tubes keeping your granddaughter alive. The neonatal units here seem to be terrific and I have my fingers crossed for you. For the record, my granddaughter is now an athletic 12-year-old enjoying her first year at senior school. l wish you well – and good wishes to your mother too. flowers

Marmight Wed 18-Mar-15 06:31:23

What a worry for you GA. I do hope all is well with your gd and she continues to progress. As Absent says neonatal care these days is amazing. You will want to get to NZ asap I know. I hope too that your Mum's op goes well. flowers

thatbags Wed 18-Mar-15 06:39:27

You and your family will be in my thoughts today*ga*. Tough times flowers

harrigran Wed 18-Mar-15 06:41:19

Congratulations on the birth of your GD ga. Neo-natal medicine is very advanced now so she will be in good hands. My thoughts are with you today while you travel to be with your mother flowers

Grannyknot Wed 18-Mar-15 06:43:24

ga flowers and thoughts - and congratulations on the little one x

Lona Wed 18-Mar-15 07:16:29

grannya Congratulations and (((hugs))) you must be feeling overwhelmed!
I'm sure your new dgd and ds will be getting the best of care, and your mum needs you too, so difficult.
flowers

janeainsworth Wed 18-Mar-15 07:16:45

flowers for you Ga.

Anya Wed 18-Mar-15 07:22:07

GA you must feel so helpless, but as others have said new-natal care is so advanced these days and she's a girl, they always do better.

Hope your Mum's op goes well ((((hugs))))

Anya Wed 18-Mar-15 07:22:38

flowers

ffinnochio Wed 18-Mar-15 07:24:44

Thinking of you and your family, ga. A very difficult time for you, and wishing the very best for you all. flowers

Faye Wed 18-Mar-15 07:27:58

Congratulations, though you must be on edge, worrying about your mother and wanting to be in New Zealand right this minute with your daughter and new granddaughter. flowers

DIL's niece was born at 27 weeks in New Zealand, she looked very small and very, very scrawny, she is now five and doing very well.

Nelliemoser Wed 18-Mar-15 07:31:24

GrannyA that is an awful lot you have on your plate right now. I hope all goes well. ((((Hugs))) from me as well.

moomin Wed 18-Mar-15 08:16:37

My DD's youngest daughter was born at 37 weeks and needed immediate major surgery in NZ. I like you was in the UK and my DD really needed me right then, her other DD was only 2 at the time. I was fortunate to be able to drop everything and fly out and give support. How very hard for you to be caught between the needs of your mother and your daughter, I really sympathise. I cannot fault the superb care my DGD was given in Auckland's NICU and then in the Starship unit. She is now a fit and active almost 7 year old. I do hope all goes well for her and your mum flowers

whenim64 Wed 18-Mar-15 08:18:15

Congratulations, ga flowers I hope your tiny grandaughter thrives and you'll get to hear regular good news about her progress. It's scary to think of how tiny very premature babies can be, but the sophisticated care available for them is awesome and she'll be in safe hands. Ours is another family with reason to be thankful that their tiny preemies are now energetic, healthy three year olds.

baubles Wed 18-Mar-15 08:21:06

flowers ga I'll hold you in my thoughts today. Best wishes for all your family.

annsixty Wed 18-Mar-15 08:27:14

All good wishes and prayers for you and all your family at this very difficult time. I know you have deep faith,it will be an enormous comfort to you .

Iam64 Wed 18-Mar-15 08:28:02

Congratulations ga, though no wonder you were shaking at this news. Your granddaughter will get the best of care flowers

grannyactivist Wed 18-Mar-15 08:44:24

My daughter and son in law both work at the Starship Hospital and baby is being cared for by their colleagues who are very caring and professional. I have no doubt she will be well looked after, but I feel so very impotent.

soontobe Wed 18-Mar-15 08:55:45

I bet you do.
I often think that some of nurses in special care baby units are amongst the best of the nursing profession.

Being torn as regards emotions and places is very hard. Remember to look after yourself too today, and through the coming weeks.

merlotgran Wed 18-Mar-15 08:56:15

Thinking of you and your family, ga. flowers

Ariadne Wed 18-Mar-15 09:09:36

Love to you all, ga - thinking of you.

annodomini Wed 18-Mar-15 09:29:44

ga, congratulations and commiserations at the way you are being torn in two by your situation. I hope your mother's surgery goes well and that, on the other side of the world, the NZ health care system lives up to its well deserved reputation. Thinking of you. flowers