Gransnet forums

Chat

A series of daft events on the way to healthier eating.

(69 Posts)
Jane10 Mon 30-Mar-15 14:52:33

1) Decided to reduce carbs and eat more protein.
2) Eggs now declared the way ahead.
3) Decide to buy egg boiler -having read about how VG and quick they are, locate one on internet, purchase ( £8.99! Whoopee!)
4) Dinky little device arrives, so far so good
5) Went to try it out- no eggs!
6) Got eggs
7) No egg cups!
8) Bought new egg cups - days now elapsed
9) Boiled eggs in new device- all went well until
10) Discovered no teaspoons!- every one has disappeared without trace
11) Egg eating obviously doomed - splurge on carbs to compensate for repeated idiocies on my part.

HUMPH!

loopylou Mon 30-Mar-15 15:01:23

I've just dug up a teaspoon in the flowerbed......confused big time!
Was down to three in the cutlery drawer ...

rosequartz Mon 30-Mar-15 15:05:46

Ditto for poached eggs (except I didn't need a teaspoon).

I bought some little silicone egg poachers, you drop the shelled egg into the mould and drop that very carefully into boiling water, enough to come up the sides. Cue for splashing fingers with boiling water. It is supposed to take about five minutes. About fifteen minutes later the egg still looks a bit glutinous on the top and not set. Hey ho, I can't wait any longer so took it out (mind the fingers) and tried to turn the egg out of the silicone poacher. It was completely stuck.
Ended up with a mashed up egg, hard on the outside, not done on the top.

Jane10 Mon 30-Mar-15 15:08:53

I must say in the defence of the egg boiler it worked perfectly- perfectly cooked eggs every time in a matter of minutes and using very little water or energy. It was just me and our lack of equipment that stymied it all. Back on track now. It does poached eggs too. Hmmm what do I need before I try that?

Charleygirl Mon 30-Mar-15 15:11:51

Jane10 I think that a knife, fork and a plate, any size will see you through that operation.

Ana Mon 30-Mar-15 15:25:54

rosequartz I've got those silicon egg poachers too. You're suppose to grease the inside first, put the poacher in the simmering water and THEN drop the shelled egg in! (I always decant mine into a cup first - safer!).

I've found about 8 mins is about right - get the whole thing out of the pan with a slotted spoon, scoop the egg out and turn it onto folded kitchen paper. A lot of the stuff you think is uncooked white is actually water from the steam.

rosequartz Mon 30-Mar-15 15:30:40

Oh dear blush Thank you
I will get you to come and give me a demonstration!

Ana Mon 30-Mar-15 15:32:51

Did you read the instructions at all, rose...? grin

hildajenniJ Mon 30-Mar-15 15:41:56

I love my electric egg boiler, perfectly cooked eggs every time. The only thing is that now they come with an egg poacher insert. Mine was one of the originals and only boils eggs. I would like the steamer and poacher attachments, but can't find them for sale separately anywhere. Mine is a delta egg boiler bought from Aldi.

rosequartz Mon 30-Mar-15 15:44:52

The instructions were very sparse or non-existent, Ana, and I am sure they didn't say anything about greasing the poachers.

I should go to a more upmarket shop, serves me right.

Ana Mon 30-Mar-15 15:47:22

Mine were from Asda wink

I only posted because I'm so pleased with myself for actually getting a poached egg right after all these years!

Soutra Mon 30-Mar-15 15:48:12

Easter eggs are the way forward!

hildajenniJ Mon 30-Mar-15 15:59:46

Ooh Easter eggs, what a good idea.tbusmile

FlicketyB Mon 30-Mar-15 16:12:41

Given the way teaspoons disappear I asked DS, an archaeologist, if they ever found teaspoons in excavations. His answer was 'rarely.

In which case where do all those errant teaspoons go?

Jane10 Mon 30-Mar-15 16:33:06

Have just ordered another 12 teaspoons from Amazon. That should last us a few weeks. Good idea to ask the archaeologist about finding teaspoons!

Tegan Mon 30-Mar-15 16:50:08

Boiled eggs and dippies were my evening meal of choice at one time. I used to use the egg carton as an egg cup,using one of the other bits to put my salt in. In retrospect the carton was probably covered in salmonella and the salt was very very bad. But that was the 1970's so I was ok.

loopylou Mon 30-Mar-15 16:58:14

DH denies any knowledge re: teaspoon in flowerbed or missing ones....
I'm tbuconfused, is there a Third Dimension for teaspoons?

ffinnochio Mon 30-Mar-15 17:40:52

I'm struggling to find what could be better than a plain pan of water for boiling or poaching eggs. Just takes a few minutes. tbusmile

Mamie Mon 30-Mar-15 17:50:14

Nor me Ffin. With a dribble of vinegar for the poachies. grin
Jane10, don't forget to join us on the low-carb thread!

durhamjen Mon 30-Mar-15 17:53:23

Agree with you, ffin.
Went to Ikea a few weeks ago with my son's partner. She was going to buy a set of teaspoons,so I told her I had dozens in a drawer in the kitchen, and gave her some.
I never seem to lose mine, because I never use them. The only time I ever boil eggs, it's for hard boiled ones at Easter, so no teaspoons needed then.

Ana Mon 30-Mar-15 17:55:44

Ha! You should see the mess I've made in the past trying to poach an egg in a pan of water, doesn't matter whether I try to make a whirlpool or just lower the egg in...confused

I'm OK boiling eggs though.

Jane10 Mon 30-Mar-15 17:57:18

finnochio and mamie the egg boiler is really quick, no waiting for water to boil or faffing about with pans. The device itself is so neat and energy efficient. The hob is where the cat sleeps in our house! More daftness....

ffinnochio Mon 30-Mar-15 18:24:22

Jane10 Go on, you have to tell me the difference between faffing about (and washing) a pan which will just hold water and washing an egg machine thingy and/or it's bits. tbugrin Is it really quicker all told?

Admit to being a good sharp knife and chopping board is all you need kind of cook.

ffinnochio Mon 30-Mar-15 18:26:31

...however, if the cat hogs the hob, then I can understand your predicament.

rosequartz Mon 30-Mar-15 19:33:32

I always eat yogurt with a teaspoon.

I read once that Simon Cowell won't allow a teaspoon to be re-used once it has been used for yogurt. What does he do with them all, do they go to the charity shop?